VPN Connection Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited April 2014
Hi All,

I have been trying to use the VPN in the Mac OS X. I have set up the VPN according to the help file and the website that gude on setting up the VPN connection. When I tried to connect using the VPN (PPTP), it always prompt "The connection was terminated by the communication device. Please verify your settings and try again." I have tried the VPN on windows platform and its ok. Can anyone help me, pls? Thks.

Rdgs

Alan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Off to the Genius Bar with you...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    What version of MacOS X are you using? There has been some improvement in newer versions.

PPtP also has a lot of possible settings on the server side (typical MS... it is actually a collection of only-slightly related protocols hacked into a group), and so you might want to ask the VPN admin to look at the logs.

I use PoPToP (open source PPtP server), and it gives me very nice logs whenever someone fails to connect, and I have been able to tweek the acceptable settings so that a wide range of clients can connect.

The piece I would first suspect would be "mschaps" vs. "chaps v2".
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Hi Karl Kuehn,

Thks for your reply. I am using Mac OS X 10.3.4. Is there any log file in the mac os x to check the vpn connection problem? Is there any setting I need to set for the VPN connection?

Rdgs
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Actually, there is a technote over at apple.com about this, but I solved my issues by looking at the logs on the server, not the client.
  • Reply 5 of 5

For 6 months I have been using http://www.sunvpn.com/ and works great for my internet browsing. It gave me the capability to open blocked websites from my ISP. The connection is fast and stable that is why I prefer this than others.