Camino 0.8 is out

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The non beta version is out if anyone is interested. Playing with it a little now. Seems a little slower to me, but stable so far. http://www.mozilla.org/projects/camino/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Camino 0.8 is out.

And it is goooooood!

I had been running Camino nighlies since the Chimera days. But I switched to Safari when Camino development stalled late last year. Now I may be able to ditch Safari in favor of Camino again.

Long live competition!

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Wow Escher you were right! I think I have found a replacement for Safari. Why havent I heard of this browser before? Its great. It has all the goodies Safari does and more.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    winkwink Posts: 20member
    i ain't got a mac yet. but in the winxp, i use the mozilla firefox. has anyone tried it on the osx?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

.... Why havent I heard of this browser before? Its great....

You were living under a rock?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    staphbabystaphbaby Posts: 353member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wink

i ain't got a mac yet. but in the winxp, i use the mozilla firefox. has anyone tried it on the osx?

Yup, and it is good.

Camino has a very slightly more "Mac" feel, however. It will always win for me, not least of all because it has a keyboard shortcut for moving between tabs. Firefox may well have one, but I cannot for the life of me find it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    fiddlerfiddler Posts: 36member
    Quote:

Originally posted by staphbaby

Yup, and it is good.

Camino has a very slightly more "Mac" feel, however. It will always win for me, not least of all because it has a keyboard shortcut for moving between tabs. Firefox may well have one, but I cannot for the life of me find it.

Indeed Firefox has one, and it's rather unintuitive/stupid. The first tab is cmd-1, second tab cmd-2... it might work if you have say, 3 tabs open, but this obviously becomes very cumbersome if you have 9 tabs open, and are trying to get to the 7th one; when was the last time you *counted* the number of tabs you're working with!?

And of course, there's no possible way apparently to get to the 10th tab and above via keyboard...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Firefox is dumb as it uses a non-Aqua GUI. The Mozilla people must realize that if they ever want to be contender for best Mac browser they drop the XUL or whatever crap and use Cocoa for the Mac port. Camino is like Mozilla or Firefox but better. OmniWeb also looks a lot better. Opera 7.51 really made leaps and strides! But it's still a bit foreign. Firefox is coming along I guess, but it'll always feel weird if they use their custom GUI, same with Mozilla.