TS confirms NO iMac at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rmh1572

How long does it usually take for them to post a Quicktime stream? It seems that the event will not be live.

I think they usually post the stream within 24 hours.

Could even get posted late that same afternoon.

Well, look forward to maybe some live text updates.

MacMinute did it last year if I remember.
  • Reply 42 of 74
    turbospeturbospe Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Originally posted by James Cocker

"June is too early to roll out a consumer product that needs just the right amount of momentum entering the holiday buying season" - ThinkSecret

I think June would be the perfect time to introduce new consumer models. Didn't they want to reassert themselves in the education market?

turboSPE
  • Reply 43 of 74
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    ThinkSecret says that June is too early for new iMacs. Well, July is right around the corner.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    There's always talk about timing for the school purchases, or the Christmas season, and Apple never seems to do it. As far as I can tell, they pay no attention whatsoever to timing for particular purchasing "seasons."
  • Reply 45 of 74
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

There's always talk about timing for the school purchases, or the Christmas season, and Apple never seems to do it. As far as I can tell, they pay no attention whatsoever to timing for particular purchasing "seasons."

I agree. After watching Apple for many years, they only delayed introduction or took pre-orders of new models for one of the following reasons.

A. They needed to increase the sales of a certain quarter to please stockholders.

B. They have too much stock of current models.

C. They ran out of stock of current models too early.

Otherwise, they just release things when it's ready.

Apple does seem to create special promotions for back-to-school and the holidays but new models were never created for the sake of those occasions.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by allen

What does the inventory of the current iMac lines show. Have they been EOL'd?

You can't buy an iMac at MacMall right now in any configuration.

I suspect Apple wants to upgrade iMacs with a new design and a G5 but due to constraint of parts, or something, they're not ready yet. Apple Insider got wind of new iMacs in the design or production stage but has the timing wrong, maybe. We'll see.

As for a new Macintosh coming out to go with the new displays expected at WWDC, I'd love to see it but as mentioned, the rumoured displays will be pretty high end so it's doubtful there would be a new consumer headless Mac introduced with them. If ever there will be an inexpensive headless Mac, there has to be a 17" Apple display available too.

I suspect Apple has waited to introduce displays for two reasons. 1. The supply channel is still full of the old models. 2. Steve Jobs wants to show off the new 30" model personally and the bake-off demonstration at WWDC with a new 2.5Ghz PowerMac will be a great time to do it.
  • Reply 47 of 74
    I just had an epiphany that should set everyone's hearts at ease...

Steve is going to keynote MW Boston on July 12/13 and announce the new headless, G5 iMacthing.

Ta-dah!

TS is right, we're still happy, and the DNC will have it's thunder stolen by the cheering crowds a couple miles away at MacWorld.

p.s. now we just need MacGyver to figure out how to silence the entire RNC with a PowerBook G5 and a stick of gum...
  • Reply 48 of 74
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

Steve is going to keynote MW Boston on July 12/13 and announce the new headless, G5 iMacthing.

Ta-dah!

TS is right, we're still happy, and the DNC will have it's thunder stolen by the cheering crowds a couple miles away at MacWorld.

p.s. now we just need MacGyver to figure out how to silence the entire RNC with a PowerBook G5 and a stick of gum...

dont think so. Macworld Boston is going to be an embarrassment. No chance you are even going to hear Apple mention it, nevermind surprise attend
  • Reply 49 of 74
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Ta-dah!

MWB is July 12 to 15 and the DNC will be in Boston July 26 to 29.
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

MWB is July 12 to 15 and the DNC will be in Boston July 26 to 29.

Would be funny if Apple held a press event in CA on the 12th just to tick them off.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Would be funny if Apple held a press event in CA on the 12th just to tick them off.

Bingo. We have a winner.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    smittysmitty Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JCG

This, along with the high price of the entry G5 PM and the discontinuation of the G4 PM's may point to a new product for the desktop line IF Apple is going to anounce new displays.

Why do people think the PM G4's have been discontinued?

Here's the official Apple press release.

If you're lazy, here's the quote:

Quote:

The single 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4, with suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), will no longer be in production and is available for purchase while supplies last through the Apple Store (www.apple.com), at Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

Where does that say they're gone completely?

They're not, because people still want to buy dual-boot machines, and Motorola seems to finally be caught up on production of the 1.25 G4.

As an educated guess, it's their customers in the graphic design & print (press operators) world that still have demand for them.

I think the graphic design segment is not so much, but I know a lot of printers, and OS 9 is how they've established their workflows, and to change an established print workflow is a pain in the ass. Although I don't know how much they're upgrading Apple boxes anymore.
  • Reply 53 of 74
    If we dont see updated iMacs I expect Apple to drop the 15 inch and cut the prices on the 17 inch and 20 inch.
  • Reply 54 of 74
    craiger77craiger77 Posts: 133member
    Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JCG

This, along with the high price of the entry G5 PM and the discontinuation of the G4 PM's may point to a new product for the desktop line IF Apple is going to anounce new displays.

Why do people think the PM G4's have been discontinued?

Here's the official Apple press release.

If you're lazy, here's the quote:

quote:

The single 1.25 GHz Power Mac G4, with suggested retail price of $1,299 (US), will no longer be in production and is available for purchase while supplies last through the Apple Store (www.apple.com), at Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

Where does that say they're gone completely?

Huh? Seems pretty clear to me that if they say they aren't making anymore then they are discontinued. When the few in stock are gone that is it for G4 Powermacs.
  • Reply 55 of 74
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craiger77

Huh? Seems pretty clear to me that if they say they aren't making anymore then they are discontinued. When the few in stock are gone that is it for G4 Powermacs.

Perhaps the duals will still be in production.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    There's one other thing this could mean.

Apple is trying to flush out leakers. Plant a story, see where it ends up. See what words end up where.

TS may be right -- there won't be a new iMac -- but that doesn't leave out the possibility of new hardware at WWDC. Apple could well introduce a new iThing there.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

dont think so. Macworld Boston is going to be an embarrassment. No chance you are even going to hear Apple mention it, nevermind surprise attend

[sarcasm]

thank you for taking my post seriously and replying to it so thoughtfully.[/sarcasm]
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Quote:

[sarcasm]

thank you for taking my post seriously and replying to it so thoughtfully.[/sarcasm]

dont give yourself so much credit. i knew (was hoping) you were joking. my post was also in jest of how big of an embarrassment macworld is going to be. but thank you for taking my post seriously and replying to it so thoughtfully.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

[sarcasm]

Seems to me like someone might be a little too sensitive over the fact that Boston could be viewed as being responsible for the death of summer MacWorld - To be fair, most blame should be directed at the show promoter for choosing to return to Boston - even after the major sponsor said - "We'd strongly suggest you keep the event in NYC".

Talk about cutting your nose to spite your face! Dumb dumb dumb...

Dave
  • Reply 60 of 74
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    ThinkSecret has nothing.