Still debating and agonizing I book

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've decided on an I book with maximum memory--now it boils down to the 12" or the 14"--my wife feels the 14 is unwieldly for travel--I want it for stock quotes, e mail and minimal spread sheet usage. I have a 17' Imac at home that I love. I think for the $200 more the 14" is a bargain- but my wife......

Whats the consensus from the experts?

Thanks for all your advice,

Sam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I lugged around a Dell 14" laptop for a couple years and replaced it with a 12" 700MHz iBook when they were released. The smaller size/lighter weight made it more compelling to keep with me at times when I would have left the Dell at home. Since you already have a desktop machine with larger screen I suggest the 12".

I have recently upgraded to a 12" powerbook and I could not be happier. I am certain you will love the iBook (my wife still uses mine).
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Thanks for your help--I think I'm going with the 12"

Sam
  • Reply 3 of 7
    What is the advantage of the Powerbook over the equivalent I book assuming the same memory etc--Is the difference of 1.33GHz processor speed over the 1GHz discernable? I the difference of $300 worth it?

Still debating

Sam
  • Reply 4 of 7
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

What is the advantage of the Powerbook over the equivalent I book assuming the same memory etc--Is the difference of 1.33GHz processor speed over the 1GHz discernable? I the difference of $300 worth it?

It is the difference of white plastic and aluminium you pay for, since the former difference of spanning the monitor is not true anymore

When it comes to raw performance you probably won't feel that difference.

best
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Thank you all for your help--

Sam
  • Reply 6 of 7
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I swear by my 14 inch iBook (I've done tons of pro work on it and still am).

However, it was heavy enough for me to start getting a pinched nerve/compressed disk from carrying it everyday. Stopped carrying it, no more pain.

Now, if you are going to go 12 inch, then I would say buy the PowerBook.

The no-hack-required video out to a second monitor is worth it alone. You'll want to do it eventually I think.

Then it is lighter and thinner. Get a good quality Brenthaven case specifically made for it and you'll have no durability issues. (Why people toss them around so casually is beyond me. Disposable income I guess). iBooks are "rugged" but frankly they get creaky and loose over time and from the well-taken care of PowerBooks I've seen it's not as much of an issue.

Another thing to note is that iBook drives are 4300 RPM as opposed to PowerBooks which can be 5400 RPM. Drive speed is very important for fast response times for file access and even system performance. ~1100 RPM is a significant difference if you've ever seen a 7200 RPM drive compared to a 5400 RPM drive.

Finally, PowerBooks simply hold their value for longer, should you ever sell it.

Anyway those are my biases, I don't suppose they will apply to you, just something to think about.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I agree with yor wife

a 14" ibook is too large for regular travel, I have one and I don't think I could carry it around all day either.

As for powerbook vs. ibook, powerbook is definetly a better choice, johnq is right, powerbooks are more rugged, and I considered the screen spaning doctor, but it looks rather dangerous.

Final verdict:

12" POWERBOOK