I remember MY first MAC....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i just saw another topic with this headline and it turned out to be something different from what i was thinking. it got my thinking about the first mac i used and the first one i bought. thought it would be cool to hear other people's stories.

i remembering using my first MACs (besides the old apple II's) at college. at yale for some reason in the 80s most of what they used were MACs . the Daily News only used macs since it had Quark. i thought they were the best thing ever. Duh! why WOULDNT a computer use a GUI?! brilliant!

i was so psyched when i bought my first apple in 98...a wallstreet 233 with no modem. the newest ones didnt have one but could be got with it as an add on. didnt have the money. it had ethernet so figured that was good enough.

held on to that baby til about 2001 when i got my TI 550. bought a dual g5 desktop this year...all mac, all the time. hate using windows. only do it when i have to.

anyone else want to take a stroll down memory lane?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    I used macs in my schools till 6th grade, i forgot what they were but they sucked big time. They were anchient. Everybody hated them but I really liked using them. Then in sixth the county switched to windows (brand new computers) and realized that the macs were better. they never switched back (as far as I know) but I decided to buy a mac this year and I love it. A 14 inch 1.2 Ghz. ibook with a superdrive
  • Reply 2 of 32
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Playing Dark Castle on an SE30 while on call at San Francisco General Hospital. That is still the best game I have ever played. I wonder if it is still available and would it run on a G4?

bob
  • Reply 3 of 32
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bspears

Playing Dark Castle on an SE30 while on call at San Francisco General Hospital. That is still the best game I have ever played. I wonder if it is still available and would it run on a G4?

bob

Ny first mac experiance was in second grade, up to that point I had never seen a gui, our PC had a mouse (which we used to play solitair ) but no gui (dos), The teacher said something like "Click on 'oregon trail' and the game will load"

I actualy asked the teacher where the dos prompt was, she looked at me like I was on something and said "we dont use THAT here, we just click on what we want, It just works."

that was in like 1991, so whatever was current then is likely what I used

For some reason, I didnt like it but after I saw X, well, mac is back, and way better than ever.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I believe it was David Pogue who wrote a column about how Yale's service costs went up dramatically after going with Windows, sometime in the mid nineties. Dartmouth also used to be all mac, then MS "donated" a shit load of money to them so they wouldn't be.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    true, i dont know if yale switched back or not. it gets me so annoyed when people are short sighted. they see the initial outlay and that is all. well sure, its cheaper to buy a bunch of crappy winblows but it will cost u with all the headaches and tech support later. i had an interesting discussion with a couple of the IT guys at my hospital. when i suggested os x, they were annoyed that i kept bringing it up after all the virus scares and patches they had to install, the guy said something along the lines of " well, then we would have to learn a whole other system, its not worth it." so i think much of the time it does just come down to what these people know, not how good the mac is. they just are too lazy or have put too much time into a crappy system and dont feel its better to cash in their chips now.

i know the daily news at yale is still mac. i guess in the creative sphere it still rules.

im in my 30s so its funny to hear people who are much younger talk about their experiences now. the mac is so far advanced from system 6 or 7 that we were using i think when i really started using these.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bspears

bob

Try the Color Demo

Quote:

from the link above

System Requirements: Color Dark Castle runs in OS 9, or in Classic mode in OS 10.0 or 10.1. It will not run in OS 10.2 or later, even in Classic mode. We're not sure about OS 8.x and earlier.

read reviews of the full game here

• Reply 7 of 32
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Ahh my first MAC...

00:03:93:75:d9:98

It was a good one, but I had to upgrade to

00:06:94:24:d4:98

I like even numbers and my name starts with a 'd'
  • Reply 8 of 32
    regreg Posts: 832member
    First mac was a Mac 512. It lasted 10 years before I got a Quadra 840av. Since then upgrades have come a lot quicker.

reg
  • Reply 9 of 32
    I remember a buddy of mine bought one of the first ones in 1984, he paid full price for it, $2,500 or thereabouts, and for a couple of struggling college students that was a major outlay. He was a writer, and needed it. I liked what I saw, though it wasn't until 1988 that I crossed paths with the Macintosh again. This time I had picked up a contract job working for a place that only had one spare computer for me to use, a Mac Plus with a 20 Mb hard drive under it. I had a huge, complicated (for the time) MS Excel spreadsheet that I was doing for them and I remember having to scroll everywhere since the tiny nine inch screen just was not enough. A year later I stepped up to the plate and purchased a Mac IIci with a 640x480 RGB monitor. You could purchase *two* full honk G5's today for what I paid for that one machine back then...

Today the IIci sits in a corner in my garage. So does its replacement, a 7100/80. And its replacement, a 7300/180. The Performa 6400/200 that came next is a stand in my office, and the blueberry iMac has recently been moved into the garage.

Yeah, what a trip down RAM lane...

-Gator
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powelligator

A year later I stepped up to the plate and purchased a Mac IIci with a 640x480 RGB monitor. You could purchase *two* full honk G5's today for what I paid for that one machine back then...

Isn't that the truth. I guy I know has a decked out IIfx sitting in his garage. Granted, he's got an Oscar and has been in the documentary business for a while, so I guess dropping 15 grand on a computer in 1988 wasn't too big of a deal.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Ahh my first MAC...

00:03:93:75:d9:98

It was a good one, but I had to upgrade to

00:06:94:24:d4:98

I like even numbers and my name starts with a 'd'

HAHAHAHA. It's funny cause he's the only one who actually answered the question correctly. Haha. The rest of you suck.
  • Reply 12 of 32
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I have a TAM sitting on a desk. It is a beautiful machine that I got when the price dropped. It was an expensive machine when it came out. It is one of those machines that begs to be shown off. I was lucky that I had other machines the did the real work and let this one be the show dog.

reg
  • Reply 13 of 32
    The first mac I worked on (literally speaking since I helped clean it up after a basement flooded) was a 128k. I thought it was cool that the design team embossed their signatures on the inside of the case as well as obviously the GUI. I also got to mess on a Plus over at an old print shop in the area. Afterwards, my Dad brought home a Classic and shoved my current pc clone aside. He showed me the manual, put it in the closet and told me to have fun.

I got to work on practically every Mac made since then because my Dad helped start a User group in NE PA, even all the performas. I was especially impressed at the time with one guys loaded IIfx since it absolutely blew away anything at the time. Fond memories.

Until I had picked up my own Mac for school, I used a refurbished MacTV for a little while so I can put on the tube in my dorm without taking up too much space. Then to a Power Computing 132mhz/604 of my own since it was cheap on the floor (and came with an internal Zip drive) of MacWorld in Boston. Upgraded that to a G3 and finished up college.

Now it's a last gen Tibook which was a good purchase when I got it. Looking forward to a Rev. C G5 when they're out to sort of get the studio together. It's been nice to see Apple evolve over the years and get to know them so well. Here's to another 15 years...
  • Reply 14 of 32
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    moving to general discussion.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    spotcatbugspotcatbug Posts: 195member
    128K all the way. Later upgraded to 2 MB's and added a SCSI port out the battery door (the kit I used included both of those items).
  • Reply 16 of 32
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I got my first Media Access Control a LONG time ago...
  • Reply 17 of 32
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    My older brother had Lisa and then the original Macintosh. The first Mac I owned by me self was a SE30 and then IIsi. Before then I had a Sinclair Spectrum 8)
  • Reply 18 of 32
    wow

all this makes me feel like a nooB

Oh wait, I am

• Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by rocklobster182

wow

all this makes me feel like a nooB

Oh wait, I am

Bethesda is a nice town.