New articles in News Comments reset last visit

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Every time AppleInsider (Kasper's Automated Slave) posts a new article/thread in the News Comments forum, this resets my last visit. This means that I can no longer rely on VBB to tell me which threads I have already read. I brought up this problem in another thread in May, but thought it deserved its own. In that old thread, I wrote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

There's a related issue that really needs to be fixed. Every time you (or your slave) post a new story in the News forum, it resets a registered user's last visit. I've started studying for the bar exam and no longer have time to visit AI on a regular basis. So it's very impractical if the forum doesn't correctly remember when I last visited.

Kasper followed up:

Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Hmm, does this effect everyone, all at once?

Kasper: Yes, it does. I brought the issue up with Jonathan over a year ago. I took the screenshot below in May: a new article posted in the News forum reset my "last visit" to the time of the article's posting.

This happens every single time your automated slave posts a new article in the News forum! I am trying to visit AI less often and you guys are posting articles very regularly these days. That combination makes it very difficult to keep track of my last visit.

Is there any way we can fix this? Kasper? Amorph? Jonathan?

TIA,

Escher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Other users notice this problem as well, right? Anyone?

Or do I accidentally take a puff from Meader's crack pipe every time a new report shows up in News Comments?

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 7
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Other users notice this problem as well, right? Anyone?

Or do I accidentally take a puff from Meader's crack pipe every time a new report shows up in News Comments?

Escher

It's not just you. Happened to me right now!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

It's not just you. Happened to me right now!

Thanks for chiming in, audiopollution. I think the problem is widely known, but nobody seems to care. Remains to see whether the admins are able to do anything about it....

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Any news on this, Amorph? You indicated in this thread that you were "on it."

Quote:

Now if only you could fix the bug that resets your last visit every time there is a new thread in News Comments.

Originally posted by Amorph

On it.

It's still happening.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    bump....

just happened with the 10.3.5 article...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bump...

Just happened again with the Skype article. The article was posted in News Comments at 08-18-2004 08:36 PM and that's what my "last visit" was reset to as well.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 7
    This was also discussed back in January here.