Supersize me

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just saw the preview, introduced by Morgan Spurlock himself.

What a great film. All of you who have grown to dislike Moore because of his manipulative style and simplistic pow that take the focus away from the really importent things he describes should go see how it can be done right.

The film starts out with Morgan Spurlock wondering about some girls suing McD for their obesity and gradually he discovers that while the argument about personal responsibility IS central the fight is carried out on an uneven playing field. And that the fast food industry isn´t honest with the information one need to make a well informed choice.

It comes around many of the issues of fast food culture and obesity WITHOUT the manipulatory pitfalls that Moore has served us after "Me and Roger". And making the TRULY appear like he is an ordinary guy wondering about something and then going on a hunt for answers, not a ready made one eyed opinion wrapped in some kind of excuse.

Great moment in the film where he tried to see if some kids could recognice different persons. He showed a picture of Washington and the kids could recognise him and tell who he was. Then he showed another one and they couldn´t tell except for one kid who asked if it was George W. Bush. Well sorta, it was Jesus...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Great review! I would say you hit the nail on the head for the way I (and I'm sure others) feel about the way Moore does movies lately - and why Moore can't make a movie like this.

Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    He won't seem like that anymore if he decides to cause any more trouble. Pretty soon the hit machine will be after him like they are after Moore.

Isn't it amazing how hard the oppressed will work to defend their oppressors?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Yea it wont be long before Air Fleischer's brown shirts are beating him in a ally and using the Patriot Act to confiscate his films.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Nothing organized, per se, just the populace tired of hearing bad things that suddenly become obsessed with the obesity:credibility ratio.

The Big One came on the independent film network. I just watched it (DVR) and I don't see how he has really changed at all.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I'm sure if Morgan Spurlock made something more explicitly political (Super Size Me only sets out to prove the obvious-- that fast food is bad for you), some of you wouldn't quite embrace him as an anti-Moore style documentary filmmaker. In fact, his style is pretty similar to the polarizing muckracker, so I'm not quite sure how anyone can denounce him so quickly. That said, Spurlock does seem to do a good job of addressing several viewpoints-- which isn't quite evident in Moore's latest film.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    What I liked about supersize me is that he doesn´t say "the food industry complex is evil and they force feed us innocent people with their fat". He makes a point out of saying that even if we live in a culture that supports fat fast food eating styles we have a choice and we should be aware of what we are doing. And he comes around the subject, for instance how by not questioning what is served for the kids in the schools we influence their eating habits later on. And how, even if he uses McD as an example, there isn´t a conspiracy to make america fat, but different causes contribute.