What Happened To Meader & MOSR?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I used to count on Meader & his trusty pipe for a good laugh now and then, but it seems to have vanished....

Anyone have info?

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mandricard

I used to count on Meader & his trusty pipe for a good laugh now and then, but it seems to have vanished....

Anyone have info?

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

I heard he died in a car crash.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I remember there were things posted on his site about his friend who was in the hospital, but a car crash? Whoa. If so, it is tragic.

M
  • Reply 3 of 7
    blablablabla Posts: 185member
    macosrumors.com stopped working in may sometime, but you could still read macosrumors at http://199.105.116.92/ , but now it seems to be down too. ( I believe they got help from some other mac site). This is where I got the ip address from:

http://www.codecomments.com/MAC_Appl...age203458.html

Googling after "http://199.105.116.92/"; returned:

""Mac OS Rumors :: The Original Mac Rumor Site.

Latest Updates. Tuesday, June 1. Site News When it rains, it pours;

more delays have appeared on the road to bringing macosrumors.com ..."

And then I remember macosrumors thanked the mac site helping them out.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    I found this over here, but it's several months old and the site claims it's not true anyway.
    Quote:

Thursday, January 29 Next Update: 1.30

As many of you know, frequent Rumors editor Toby Braun was involved in a multi-car pileup last week and was without insurance at the time. He has recently begun waking up and his prognosis for recovery is good. He has only been able to speak a little so far and is still heavily medicated, but Toby has definitely expressed thanks more than once for everyone's generous donations and words of support. Although himself recovering from serious complications of an old cycling injury, the site's founder and administrator Ryan Meader has been on hand to rally the troops and is working to develop several new sites for the Organization including a revamped version of MOSR that is very nearly ready for a public beta in February.

• Reply 5 of 7
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

With Meader and Co., I have a hard time believing anything they write. They dramatize the rumors they post (numerous sources, hundreds of e-mails), they dramatize their personal lives (flooded basements, power outages, car and bike accidents and subsequent outpourings of support), they dramatize their "business" (ISP conspiracies, starting grand organizations). It's like the boy who cried wolf. In the end, nobody believed him and he was eaten.

My hunch is that Meader and Co. spend any money they make on drugs or bikeparts or other non-business items and they don't have enough money left to pay for their ISP or domain registration, nor do they have time to look after their site. Give me a break! It's not rocket science to keep a crackpot rumor site online.

Case in point: Meader let the registration for MOSR.com expire and switched everything to MacOSRumors.com. You would have to be on crack to abandon a widely recognized (in the Apple community) four-letter domain. Any reasonable person would have continued to pay the registration fee and redirected traffic to the long domain at the very least.

IMNSHO, Meader and his friends are amateurs (read that with a negative connotation) who lack the focus to run a successful website. That's why they are offline now.

Of course, I am disappointed like many others here. Meader's ramblings on MOSR were always entertaining. Not witty like ATAT (my favorite form of Apple-related entertainment), but entertaining nonetheless. RIP, MOSR. \

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 7
    slackulaslackula Posts: 262member
    Escher: Excellent post! I have been thinking exactly the same thoughts all along. Uncanny when another posts something exactly as I wish I could have stated it myself!!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    guestguest Posts: 112member
    The explanation is simple: his source for accurate information (MacWhispers) went away.