WWDC and the future of APPLE

Comments

• Reply 321 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Funny how Kormac waits for the Think Secret article to come out before backpedaling on his iMac prediction.

Yes and after Monday comes and goes he will tell us that Steve changed his mind.
  • Reply 322 of 436
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kormac77

There is chance that APPLE will not introduce new iMac and iProject at WWDC but might have special announcement at July 6th.

That would not be a surprise, Kormac. Apple could wait another 1-3 weeks. But the new iMac cannot wait any longer than that, despite what Think Secret says about holiday sales.

I still expect some hardware announcement(s) on Monday. The Apple Store has been down twice in the last week. That is a clear sign that new products will be ready for sale or pre-order on Monday.

Escher
  • Reply 323 of 436
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    I think the importance of a QT stream is really a non issue. If new hardware is to be released, all of the press will know about it, then all or most of the public will. The QT stream reaches roughly 70,000 people, of those people many are fans with no intent to purchase, while others are Apple employees (12,000 potential viewers), and then some could be tuned in to see their next purchase.

New hardware can be released without a publicly availably QT stream.
  • Reply 324 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

No idea what the hell happened there. [OTA sync] wasn't a feature of iSync so much as .Mac by the way. My gut feeling is that this function was deemed just the wrong side of what the public wants, similar to the design decisions behind PC-centric music management for the iPod, and canned when the iPhone bit the dust.

What a shame, Harald! But I fear your intuition is correct. Apple probably didn't feel like it was efficient to support OTA sync on all the phones that work with iSync. Without an Apple widget to make a well-integrated package, no dice. \

Escher
  • Reply 325 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Yes and after Monday comes and goes he will tell us that Steve changed his mind.

Ensign Pulver and TWinbrook46636: Can you contribute something substantive to this discussion? Or are you incapable of constructive thought?

Escher
  • Reply 326 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Ensign Pulver and TWinbrook46636: Can you contribute something substantive to this discussion? Or are you incapable of constructive thought?

Escher

HEAR HEAR.
  • Reply 327 of 436
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    Macrumors.com is down.

This confirms new iMacs on Monday.
  • Reply 328 of 436
    MacBytes.com down\
  • Reply 329 of 436
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    And both come with the same error message, almost.
  • Reply 330 of 436
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    does salling clicker reside on a .mac webpage?

I thought the site was www.salling.com when I go there it redirects me to a very apple looking page that sits on .mac

could this be something that will be important to wwdc or am I just a wishful thinker?

probably just a wishful thinker
  • Reply 331 of 436
    Quote:

Escher

Sorry, I am not a mindless zombie who believes every piece os BS to come down the pike. Just look at his posts from the past. See for yourself. They say the same thing over and over again going back over two years. The i****v2 crap has been going on for over three years. When will you people learn? Are you really that gullible? No one can add anything substantial to this discussion because you will not listen to anything resembling logic. You are too busy deluding yourselves to hear the truth. I happen to like his posts and I love speculation but seeing you people fawn over him despite what has transpired over the past few years is something I cannot comprehend.

As Matsu would say in the good old days:

• Reply 332 of 436
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Sorry, I am not a mindless zombie who believes every piece os BS to come down the pike. Just look at his posts from the past. See for yourself. They say the same thing over and over again going back over two years. The i****v2 crap has been going on for over three years. When will you people learn? Are you really that gullible? No one can add anything substantial to this discussion because you will not listen to anything resembling logic. You are too busy deluding yourselves to hear the truth. I happen to like his posts and I love speculation but seeing you people fawn over him despite what has transpired over the past few years is something I cannot comprehend.

As Matsu would say in the good old days:

HEAR HEAR.
  • Reply 333 of 436
    Quote:

I happen to like his posts and I love speculation but seeing you people fawn over him despite what has transpired over the past few years is something I cannot comprehend.

TWinbrook46636: So you like his posts, but you can't get over the fact that you don't believe Kormac? The discussion here is not about believing or not. Kormac has stated multiple times that he is not an insider, that he has no inside information, and that the vast majority of what he posts is common sense conjecture. Either way, whether we believe Kormac or not is irrelevant.

The title of this thread is WWDC and the future of Apple, not "do you believe Kormac is telling the truth?" or "everybody rag on Kormac." Get over it! And get back on topic!

Escher
  • Reply 334 of 436
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    Quote:

Originally vituperated by TWinbrook46636

The i****v2 crap has been going on for over three years. When will you people learn? Are you really that gullible?

I am not sure about this, but is it inconceivable that the i**** notion has been in development and scrapped and reborn over the course of this time-period? SJ recently mentioned that he was even proud of the Apple PDA that Apple never shipped, so the rumor, at least, has some legs to stand on.

I would not assume that the others who speculate more favorably in regards to K's ideas are "gullible," never "learn," do not listen "to anything resembling logic," or are "deluding" themselves.

I completely respect your ideas that this is a non-starter, but there are other things other than the i**** about which K speculates, and which are truly interesting (at least to this "deluded" individual) to wonder about their applicability to sales and real-life situations.

You recall Matsu. I do too. Matsu had a sense of humor about his frustrations with K's speculation. It just seems to me need not go about insulting others' intelligence on the boards to voice your point of view.

Quote:

Originally asked by TednDi

if they add the better handwriting recognition of the ipaq into a palm device then OK. we are 14 years down the road with the old graffitti engine. can't we have better handwriting recognition.

It makes one wonder why Apple spent so much time developing "Ink," no?

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 335 of 436
    Now about WWDC:

Aside from Apple itself, developers are most likely to influence Apple's future. So it's in Apple's interest to deliver software and hardware products at WWDC that will enable developers to move onward into that future. Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger is obviously one, if not the, cornerstone of Apple's future. That's why Apple announced the Tiger on the menu at WWDC several months ago.

Beyond Tiger, much is subject to speculation. A future version of QuickTime that further increases Apple's reach may be just as relevant to developers and the future of Apple as an affordable "headless iMac G5" that manages to grow Apple's market share. A new digital hub device that developers can tap into with new software would be relevant as well. I could even imagine a new DLD with a new open OS that developers could write for. It's all up for grabs!

I'm confident that WWDC will bring surprises for every single one of us, small as they may be. We know that Tiger is coming, but we know very few of its features. That's a whole bunch of surprises right there. Any hardware announcements will be icing on the cake. And we all know that Steve Jobs hates cake without icing.

I remember seeing pictures of the Wallstreet PowerBooks months before they were announced. I had to wait patiently to order one the day they were officially introduced. The speculation and discussion here is so much more fun!

I look forward to Monday's software and hardware surprises -- regardless of whether they mesh with anything we have debated here.

Escher
  • Reply 336 of 436
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    TWinbrook46636, do please try to add something of interest to the thread other than just disbelief. Reasons would be nice, for one thing, as would common courtesy. Simply saying kormac is off his rocker just makes you look juvenile, and frankly, more than a little thick.

Echer, stop baiting him.

Everyone on both sides of this stupid banter: see above, pick the side that applies to you, and take it to heart.
  • Reply 337 of 436
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Well, in just reading this entire thread, it seems plainly obvious that Kormac is not very accurate or in the know, but rather great at speculating and concealing his actual knowledge (which IMO is not very much).

Monday will bring Tiger, Displays, iPods, and new iMacs, that's how I see it. I dont need to lie or try to create a following by pretending to know that it is coming. I just guess it will.
  • Reply 338 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Escher, stop baiting him.

Kickaha: Thanks for beating some sense into us. I'll stop fishing right away. Note that my last post above was on topic. I try to eat my own dogfood and do what I preach.

Is it too early to start a countdown to Steve's WWDC keynote?

45 hours to go... 8)

Escher
  • Reply 339 of 436
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Escher

Jesus, Escher, what's up with the vitriol? That's not your style.

As far as this being a "general WWDC" thread, it is not. It's the "WWDC and the future of Apple as seen by Kormac, the thread starter." Critiquing his credibility and chronicling his flip-flops are the definition of "substantive" in this context. Here's what he said on page 5:

Quote:

Here is what will be announced.

- Preview of Tiger: OS X 10.4

- iMac G5.

- New service to support Consumer Electronics.

- 20, 23, 30 inch Monitor with HDTV capability.

- iProjector with WiFi. ( Name may be different. )

<snip>

It is up to you to belive me or not...

He says flat out "will be announced". Not opinion, not conjecture, not analysis, but a claim to knowledge of the contents of Monday's keynote. Then on page 8, he can't backpedal fast enough:

Quote:

There is chance that APPLE will not introduce new iMac and iProject at WWDC but might have special announcement at July 6th.

The focus of WWDC will be development and OS X 10.4. If APPLE feel that the focus has been shifed too much for New iMac, they will select date later than WWDC.

However, APPLE has shown first iMac at WWDC and Apple might do as planned. It is upto SJ's decision.

So they might intro the G5 iMac at WWDC or they might not. They might do it on July 6th instead, or maybe later, but it's all up to Steve. Wow, that's a bold and specific position to take. Like I need Kormac to tell me that the desperately needed, next gen iMac is under development and will be released "soon" at Steve's discretion.

And Escher, Kormac DOES claim to be an insider. Here are some choice quotes:

Quote:

There will be announcement of QuickTime 7 at WWDC and this is One of the KEY component for the future APPLE Product.

The latest APPLE Works was modified to support Quicktime7 already.

When it was delivered, the develope team did not know that Quicktime 7 was delayed and the code for importing QuickTime 7 file was already implemented.

I am not work for APPLE directly and I don't have any APPLE internal documentations. And I never signed NDA for products above to APPLE.

He claims direct knowledge of internal QT7 and Appleworks development and code delivery timetables, yet only gives the defense of not being an Apple employee or under NDA. That is the very definition of "inside information". If you want to believe him fine, but don't act like he's just thinking out loud to spur discussion. He is making direct claims and predictions based on his alleged sources.

Maybe if he dropped the fake accent his posts would be more believable.
  • Reply 340 of 436
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Not a chance in hell.

To some people, the entire point of speculation is to make sport of being an all-knowing naysayer without any facts, basis, or heck, even opinion. It's just asinine, and frankly, I would rather not see it at all, but we're a mixed bag of maturity levels on these boards, and it peeps out from time to time.

I supremely enjoy threads kormac contributes to, not because I think he's *right*, but because they *promote thought and discussion*. Because it gets people *thinking*, which is more than most posters on here can say about what they 'contribute'.

If you disagree with his predictions, give reasons, and then we all benefit from the give and take of thought and speculation. If you're just going to be a cynical and empty cooler-than-thou poster, don't bother. Really. We don't care, and it's annoying as hell.