TS confirms NO iMac at WWDC

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    I think he is probably just pissed that none of his sources came through so he lashes out at everyone else, including his own readership.

Despite the fact that Apple has halted shipments of iMacs to resellers and stock is nearly depleted at most, we are all a bunch off idiots for thinking replacements are due before the Christmas season.

So we are to believe TS in that:

1) Steve Jobs and Co. are all laughing at the prospect of bad pr and a stock drop once news that the outdated and overdue iMacs were not updated hits the street.

2) The new iMacs are in production now but they either take months to build or sit in a warehouse ready to go for months ala MacWhispers.

Hey, I'm more than open to the possibility that they won't be announced on Monday but if they aren't announced by mid-July I would be astonished.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    these guys are reporting that a mobile g5 is ready to go into a powebook and an imac

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1617070,00.asp
  • Reply 63 of 74
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

ThinkSecret has nothing.

Which brings to mind the old newsroom quote:

"We have no news, so let's start rumors."
  • Reply 64 of 74
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    The fact is Apple has stopped selling to resellers iMacs, how do i know ? a little birdie told me who also works at a reseller so either Apple has decided no more iMacs(G4) and a new one is on the way, or a new product with a different name is on the way or Apple is crawling away from the consumer market after the scolding from its share holders for a pitiful consumer line. I doubt the last reason so its a brand new Macintosh or a brand new iMac.8) Thats the way i see it. If Jobs doesnt announce at WWDC he will soon after.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    It's just that the whole article sounds like it was written in the midst of an ego trip. No one told me iMacs would be announced soon so it's not going to happen. They may not come on Monday, sure, but very soon. Anyway it was such a smug, arrogant, condescending slap in the face to the readers which (clearly) pissed me off. Okay, I'll stop harping on it.

Aurora: You don't even have to be an insider to see stock levels dropping. Just check this to see for yourself. A few weeks from now nobody will have stock.
  • Reply 66 of 74
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

It's just that the whole article sounds like it was written in the midst of an ego trip. No one told me iMacs would be announced soon so it's not going to happen. They may not come on Monday, sure, but very soon. Anyway it was such a smug, arrogant, condescending slap in the face to the readers which (clearly) pissed me off. Okay, I'll stop harping on it.

Aurora: You don't even have to be an insider to see stock levels dropping. Just check this to see for yourself. A few weeks from now nobody will have stock.

Thanks and nice link Twinbrook46636. Im getting a new machine before Doom3 hits and would love a single 2.0 iMac if it had decent or optional video. If not i guess ill be forced into Powermac. I love the power and video options from Alienware but viruses,worms,spyware,addware and windows means apple wins again\ I really think apple should have a machine that the user can configure. this way everyone would be happy and could get exactly what they need, marketshare goes up and everyone is happy.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

I really think apple should have a machine that the user can configure. this way everyone would be happy and could get exactly what they need, marketshare goes up and everyone is happy.

Not so much configure, but like a hot-rodder, tear some stuff out and put higher performance stuff in when you feel like it. For the purposes of this discussion, I don't necessarily have to upgrade the CPU, but just be able to stuff into a home Mac a bigger HD, better DVD burner, and more memory without having the shop manual at the house.

I've got a FP iMac G4/800 at home. Sure, it works fine. Can't keep the kids off it. I'll get a solid four years of productive use out of it.

But the old Pioneer A04 DVD drive in it doesn't burn video all that quickly, I really would like to rip the top memory stick out and replace it with a 512 MB one, and I really need a whacking big HD to do a few personal video projects I've shoved on the back burner. What does one do?

I confess: I'm too chickens#@% to try to stuff a new DVD burner in a FP iMac. The upper memory is doable, if you can find the right stick; but woe be it if that upper memory stick doesn't work. I'm gutsy enough to change the HD in it, now that it's out of warranty. But the whole problem is this: why buy a new machine every 18 months or two years? That's the Wintel path.

And before anyone says, "Buy a PM, stupid," there's the whole issue of recent software the consumer Macs have bundled that the PMs don't. You get iLife, IIRC with a PM, but no AppleWorks? Apple it seems, will let you buy a machine you can (kinda) hotrod if you drop money on new software every 18-24 months. If you want a decent software bundle on the machine you buy for home or home office use, you gotta give up the hotrodding factor.

Sigh. It's late in my time zone. Maybe I've just had a long day.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Hahahaha!

The iMac at WWDC rumors might not be a laughing matter in the big halls of Cupertino. On the other hand, my halls ...

I don't see iMacs as anything developers would have interest in, other than "Nice for Apple!", if them new ones show up at WWDC.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sam Damon

But the whole problem is this: why buy a new machine every 18 months or two years? That's the Wintel path.

that's strange, isn't it?

those wintels are "highly" upgradable and indeed, every 1.5-2 years people buy a new box.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    mechamecha Posts: 6member
    In the UK the refurb store has been open ALL WEEK, including today (Sunday 27). This NEVER, EVER happens!

The refurb store is offering iMacs and iPods for 20% and more off, and has been all week. In the UK, this is a big deal - trust me! Most of the time the UK refurb store doesnt even open, and when it does it is only on Thursdays until 1pm (or something like that!).

I would think this points to new iMacs and iPods and WWDC, but what do I know - these rumour sites delayed me buying my Dual 2 PowerMac in December thanks to the "New PowerMacs in January/March/etc" fiasco!

Im not too big on all this prediction / rumour stuff, but this clearout must say something - or not - whatever!
  • Reply 71 of 74
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Yes, his bed side manner needs a little work, to say the least.

If you think he's bad now, you should have seen the way he was talking when he used to get rumours right on a consistent basis. Holy crap!
  • Reply 72 of 74
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by the cool gut

Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Yes, his bed side manner needs a little work, to say the least.

If you think he's bad now, you should have seen the way he was talking when he used to get rumours right on a consistent basis. Holy f*ck.

PLEASE watch your language.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

that's strange, isn't it?

those wintels are "highly" upgradable and indeed, every 1.5-2 years people buy a new box.

Yes but during that time I am stuffing in new hardware that comes to market. Then when I upgrade the box I pull out the most current/usefull stuff and go! The old box then gets donated or given away.

Apple could do this and keep the wires off my desktop. Yes the firewire will do alot. But a card stuffed into the box takes up zero deskspace.

I hate my PC boxes but I did like the ability years ago to upgrade my Mac IIci by throwing stuff under the hood. Also it gives third party developers (hardware and software) something to build upon.

$.03
  • Reply 74 of 74
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Yes but during that time I am stuffing in new hardware that comes to market. Then when I upgrade the box I pull out the most current/usefull stuff and go! The old box then gets donated or given away.

Users like you are a very tiny Geek minority. The VAST majority of average users have zero inclination or ability to do this. Apple is completely correct to ignore this "need" at anything under $2K.