Which software do you use to create websites?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm about to switch from the PC world back to the Mac world, after an absence of about 6 years. I currently use Fusion (PC) for website work. I'm told I can continue to use it with Virtual PC, but was wondering what program most Mac users were using? I'm not into html coding and am most interested in a WYSIWYG approach.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Adobe Golive is an option, I prefer it to Macromedia Dreamweaver for some reason, but I don't do any heavy web development stuff. Actually I tend to use the text editing more than wyswyg, though for tables, wyswyg is a lot nicer.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    BBEdit

You can't beat code coded by hand. You'll also feel unknown pride when you are done, not because you did something great, but because you learned something.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    I use Adobe Golive.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    I use both Dreamweaver and GoLive. GoLive appeals more the designer side of me but I like the way Dreamweaver does somethings so I use them both.

I have heard really good things about Freeway but I have never used it.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    I have Dreamweaver and GoLive, but prefer the latter when a GUI is more productive. But most the time BBEdit is my tool of choice. Used Freeway for 30 minutes, and that was enough. Didn't find any redeeming value it in.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Are you guys using Dreamweaver and GoLive TOGETHER? If so, just curious about interfacing the two?
  • Reply 7 of 32
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Belvadere

Are you guys using Dreamweaver and GoLive TOGETHER? If so, just curious about interfacing the two?

Personally I have GoLive installed, and only use it to create tables and forms (I'm to lazy to type in this informaton myself). But other than that I use BBEdit to create all my code. I usually program websites wiht JSP (preffered) or PHP.

When creating dynamic content, I find that its better to write the code yourself, rather than rely on some application to create it for you (more controll). Also, I find that WYSIWYG apps dont create code that validate against the W3c standard...

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Webobjects builder! HTML 3.2 all the way baby

• Reply 9 of 32
    BBEdit.

It's the only option.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    SimpleText!!!!!!!!!

wait....that's a bit old
  • Reply 11 of 32
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    SubEthaEdit

Live updating of your webpage as you create it. Mmm!
  • Reply 12 of 32
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Emacs--not a pretty drag and drop interface but it does offer code highlighing and some other nice features for those of us raised on Unix.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    BBEdit for small projects.

Adobe Golive and BBEdit when the result needs to look sexy.

xemacs at school...

BBEdit is particularly nice when you have to write PHP pages, while xemacs often has a hard time with them.

With Golive, it's very easy to create nice-looking pages, but the output code often looks weird (sometimes totally ugly!), so you'd better edit the pages output by Golive...
  • Reply 14 of 32
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    I used to work in Netobjects Fusion, but it was discontinued years ago on the mac. The alternative closest to Fusion that offers transparent nonhtml coding must be Freeway.

If you were to take the step and learn some decent html, I would recommend Tumult Hyperedit that offers live previewing of code in a very elegant way, and that for a fraction of the price of Dreamweaver. (a bit comparable to Homesite, that used to be bundled with Fusion).
  • Reply 15 of 32
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    BBEdit for the code.

Golive for looks and easy editing.

Flash for the fancy stuff.

Photoshop for graphics ofcourse.

Illustrator for advanced graphics and consept sketches,

Omnigraffle for hierarchic structure.

all browsers...

VPC, for testing on even more browsers...

• Reply 16 of 32
    Belvadere

If you are coming from the PC side you should try Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver feels more like a PC application to me than GoLive does but then again all of Micromedia's applications seem to have a PC interface.

VanNostran
  • Reply 17 of 32
    I am surprised that no-one has mentioned Nvu the Mozilla-based html editor. It is very beta on MacOS X, but does run natively.

It is not as good as the big boys, but it is free.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Mozilla! It's really easy! Hats off to 'em. Apple should add something like that in to Safari.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Not that I'm any great shakes as a web developer, but I use a combination of BBEdit and Canvas.

OmniWeb also comes with a nice little editor with WebDAV support built in. I don't use it currently because I'm still dependent on FTP, and BBEdit has that built in.

BBEdit's template, #include and automation capabilities are incredibly powerful. They take time to learn, and time to set up, but once you've got them going site maintenance is almost pleasant.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    oh, forgot Transmit... my FTP weapon of choice...