WWDC and the future of APPLE

Comments

• Reply 341 of 436
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Kickaha, my above post speaks for itself.

As far as disagreeing with Kormac's predictions as you recommend, now that they are self-contradictory, what's the point? Funny how when Kormac changes his story he's still worshipped, but if you point out his flip flops you get slammed.

As far as me being an "immature, non-contributor", I direct you to this thread. Real analysis of Apple's pressing marketshare problems and the myths surrounding them, not Kormac's "I know something, but I won't tell you how, no wait, I changed my mind" crap.
  • Reply 342 of 436
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    where's the fun ... from back in the days ...
  • Reply 343 of 436
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Odd, that post was to the general populace, not directed at you, yet you took it to be. Hmm.

As I said, I enjoy these threads not because I think he's right, but because it gets the brainjuices flowing in directions they may not have been before. I would hazard a guess that that holds true for all but maybe one or two people on these boards that, just because they're not joining in the nihilistic orgy of empty denial, are labeled 'kormac worshippers'. It's almost amusing. Not really, but almost, in a sophomoric sort of way.

In the final analysis, who the hell really cares, anyway? What possible reason could there be to wade into a thread that is an interesting back and forth of ideas, *JUST* to flip everyone the metaphorical bird, without actually contributing anything useful? And, just to be 100% clear you don't jump to any conclusions about my opinions about you here, again, that's a general comment. If you think it pertains to you, maybe it does. *shrug*

In any case, those who simply want to rain on everyone else's party are, as far as I can tell, simply upset that they don't have much to contribute to the conversation, and resort to an infantile response because they really can't do much else.

Heck, I disagree with a lot of what kormac predicts... but I know why, I can state it clearly, and I'm not afraid to put it on the line to have it picked apart. If that weren't true, then maybe I too would fall back on childish retorts that ultimately were nothing more than hot air and empty gestures.

Kormac's redundancy, contradictions, and meanderings in *no* way detract from the quality of the *conversation*... in fact, they make it interesting as a dialogue. It's only if one is overly and supremely concerned with being 'right' over their fellow poster, that it becomes a matter of debate. And again... who cares who's 'right'? If it comes to pass, it does. If not, it doesn't. It doesn't really matter either way, as long as we all have a good discussion leading up to the unveiling of... whatever.

If the issue of *KORMAC* being 'right' or 'wrong' is what is of a poster's prime importance, I suggest they create a new thread elsewhere to debate that. This isn't the place for that particular argument. We're here to discuss technology, possible corporate strategies, available and feasible directions for Apple, and ultimately, just to dream a little.

If you can't handle that, please go elsewhere, because you're just going to hurt your brain here if you stay.
  • Reply 344 of 436
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    How come third-party developers are still locked out of developing apps that run on the iPod? (If I missed something, let me know.)

Cocoa for Windows/Linux is extremely unlikely. You can use Objective-C, but the frameworks for the Mac are tied into the GUI pretty tightly.
  • Reply 345 of 436
    Actually, the OPENSTEP (yes, it's all caps, I'm not yelling) frameworks that were the basis of Cocoa were for NeXT, Windows (a couple of versions), Solaris, and IIRC HP/UX. 4 (5) OSes, 4 hardware platforms. Cocoa was pulled back from the original shipping frameworks to one OS, one hardware platform. It could easily happen again, technically... strategically, who knows?

RE: iPod, I don't believe this is the case. Griffin, Belkin and others have produced apps that interact with their hardware, and I just saw PiPod, a widget that lets you scroll through pizza places in NYC... although it may use the text file reading system, I dunno. OTOH, I have no idea how one goes about getting SDKs and such for the iPod. Odd.
  • Reply 346 of 436
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I never could get IIRC HP/UX to run...
  • Reply 347 of 436
    eaxiteaxit Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

They would likely use a future standard based on MPEG-4/H.264 but the problem would be download speeds. Even with broadband it would take all day to get a movie (depending on quality) and that is not very marketable. I just don't see Apple doing this.

I will have to agree with you on this one. I don't think this is an arena that Apple is going to get into at this point. Maybe when bandwidth limits reach 5-7mb/s, then, and only then would it be an option.
  • Reply 348 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by eaxit

I will have to agree with you on this one. I don't think this is an arena that Apple is going to get into at this point. Maybe when bandwidth limits reach 5-7mb/s, then, and only then would it be an option.

I guess you don't read /.

LINK
  • Reply 349 of 436
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

How come third-party developers are still locked out of developing apps that run on the iPod? (If I missed something, let me know.)

That's a very legitimate question, cubist. My hunch is that Apple is afraid of opening up the iPod's OS like it has been afraid to license third party Mac OS (and OS X) systems.

IMO, QuickTime is one tool in Apple's box that every developer can tap into on every platform where it runs -- currently Mac and Windows, but Linux and Java are not impossible. I am persuaded that WWDC and Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger will bring more tools that developers can tap into for their soft- and hardware products.

Just like Microsoft's Windows, Apple's Mac OS X is a far cry from completely open. However, Apple has demostrated a clear preference for working with and adopting open standards. In and of themselves, open standards contribute to interoperability and should make it easier for developers to harness their synergies. We've discussed a lot of open standards for audio/video above, but Zero Conf and Rendezvous, most recently applied in AirPort Express, are good examples too.

I see a future where third party developers will be able to tap into an AirPort Express just as well as Apple with iTunes. Developers will get the details from Apple at WWDC. And by this fall, we'll see new hard- and software products from Apple as well as third parties.

26 hours to WWDC.... 8)

Escher
  • Reply 350 of 436
    eaxiteaxit Posts: 14member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

I guess you don't read /.

LINK

Thanks for the link, but any educated person knows, yes, it is coming, and bundled with it's own entertainment options, i.e., video on demand. And in light of all of that, unless Apple is turning into a full fledged entertainment company, I don't see the video store happening...AT ALL!
  • Reply 351 of 436
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eaxit

Thanks for the link, but any educated person knows, yes, it is coming, and bundled with it's own entertainment options, i.e., video on demand. And in light of all of that, unless Apple is turning into a full fledged entertainment company, I don't see the video store happening...AT ALL!

The major hurdle for video on demand/video store is the time for the download. If apple could use a p2p with some sort of DRM on the content then the studios will give apple the rights to distribute. Now Steve J is one of their own with Pixar and he doesn't want the Pixar content pirated any more than the studios. That is why steve is resistant to getting an HD Dvd burner into the macs. If the public can get a download of their content faster then they will be in the position of buying the product.

Merge it with a tivo like device and everyone with an ethernet connection and broadband can be a p2p apple site pumping the content both up and down the pipeling. Or another solution is to use .mac and the online file storage for the p2p everyone who has a .mac account when logged on to .mac would be a node for the p2p client. Demand is high mostly for the new movies and as such most will have the new flicks on their drives. That increases the nodes. If you remember STeves keynote in the itms europe launch, his main competitior is piracy. He is making a dent in the music biz why not get it on the movie biz. And for the doubters, yes people do watch videos in the car. With kids. That is why car makers are putting lcds into the backs of cars and suvs. Make 2 zones of content video/audo in the back via wireless headphones and int the front the driver's/passenger's music streamed into the stereo and you hav another hit.

Take your movies with you to your friend's house. You own the movies and as such can play them.

$.02

This is coming folks. Tomorrow? I don't know.
  • Reply 352 of 436
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

If apple could use a p2p with some sort of DRM on the content then the studios will give apple the rights to distribute.

I am highly sceptical of using a voluntary, non-commercial P2P system to distribute movies for a profit-making enterprise. I will gladly volunteer my bandwidth and CPU cycles to find life on Mars or do DNA analysis for the good of mankind. However, I would refuse to donate my bandwidth to help Apple or anybody else distribute movies for their own profit. IMO, that is completely counterintuitive and is very unlikely to happen.

Letting a for-profit corporation distribute its A/V content via a voluntary P2P (note: it's Peer-to-Peer, not Business) network would be tantamount to letting Hertz or Avis rent out my car for their profit without giving me anything in return. Without any quid pro quo, it makes no sense.

Broadband companies like Comcast and Time Warner are going to dominate the market for video on demand. In fact, they already do. Given current regulations, there's no room for players that do not control the broadband network.

Who knows what changing circumstances might bring in the future...?

Escher

PS: Less than 24 hours until the WWDC Stevenote.
  • Reply 353 of 436
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I wasn't actually talking about a non commercial site. If the movie store and or .mac involved the node then you could bit torrent like stream the content from multiple sources to multiple nodes. Part of the client software would have the p2p software built in and the only files able to be retireved from the distributor (could (should) be apple or any other film company with the apple licensed software) and it's multiple xserved raid storage distribution nodes.

Steve and Apple already have a relationship with Warner the W in AOL time warner. and a relationship with aol on itunes (sessions) Why not expand that into movie distribution. In new york city Time warner cable provides the broadband for earthlink which has a relationship with apple.

All of the pieces are there they just have to be assembled into software, which apple does really well.

ALSO:

What would be really cool is if apple got behind the x10 protocol or the protocol for lutron/vimco. Under x10 leviton and others developed home control switches, outlets and cameras. instlling them a mac could then remotely control your house and lights and coffee machine and and and. Use a bit of applescrips (light for the non programmers) and OS tiger will be light years away from longhorn. Now you can do it on a PC but it takes a bunch of third party software and hardware to make it work and even then it exists under windows and is subject to crashes.

Oh yea and a phone gsm/gprs with voice over ip and synch abiltity on the fly.....I won't hold my breath.
  • Reply 354 of 436
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

If you're just going to be a cynical and empty cooler-than-thou poster, don't bother. Really. We don't care, and it's annoying as hell.

I've just been lurking through the Insider forums of late, looking for juice on upcoming Apple goodies and such. This is my first post (and quite possibly my last) at Insider... but I just had to register to state the following:

If there's one sure thing I've discovered in pouring over these forums over the past few days, it is this: that Ensign Pulver takes himself far too seriously. Probably some of the most outrageous pomp and sanctimony I think I've ever stumbled across in a public forum. It's almost as if he prowls continuously looking for opportunities to belittle others, raining on everybody's parade whilst repeatedly touting his own infallible insight into the state of the Apple universe. Above all else, this should be a fun place - a place where we should all be free to collectively dream and speculate on the latest in futuristic technology from the world's coolest company. Discussing the veracity of certain rumours is (of course) par for the course, but need we take it all so seriously? I think not. Shame on you, Ensign Pulver, for making this a decidedly unfun place whenever you deign to grace us with your illustrious presence.

My apologies for the interruption.
  • Reply 355 of 436
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pixelwizbb

I've just been lurking through the Insider forums of late, looking for juice on upcoming Apple goodies and such. This is my first post (and quite possibly my last) at Insider... but I just had to register to state the following:

If there's one sure thing I've discovered in pouring over these forums over the past few days, it is this: that Ensign Pulver takes himself far too seriously. Probably some of the most outrageous pomp and sanctimony I think I've ever stumbled across in a public forum. It's almost as if he prowls continuously looking for opportunities to belittle others, raining on everybody's parade whilst repeatedly touting his own infallible insight into the state of the Apple universe. Above all else, this should be a fun place - a place where we should all be free to collectively dream and speculate on the latest in futuristic technology from the world's coolest company. Discussing the veracity of certain rumours is (of course) par for the course, but need we take it all so seriously? I think not. Shame on you, Ensign Pulver, for making this a decidedly unfun place whenever you deign to grace us with your illustrious presence.

My apologies for the interruption.

don't worry, your criticism rings true for a lot of people here (myself included)
  • Reply 356 of 436
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Less than 16 hours to go and essentially, no one knows a damn thing.
  • Reply 357 of 436
    Ain't it *FUN?!?
  • Reply 358 of 436
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pixelwizbb

You have a problem with my supposed negative effect on these boards, but then you register for the sole purpose of launching a personal attack on me? Talk about the height of hypocrisy.

Look, I'm sorry if offend anyone, I really am. It's just that the quality of FW has gone dramatically down in the last year or two. This used to be a "fun place to collectively dream", but the people who made it good, Pscates, Programmer, Amorph, Murbot, Dorsal, Moki, Belle, even Junkyard Dawg have all either left or seem to post much less frequently.

Instead what we get is an ever increasing deluge of teenspeak garbage and endless, moronic, redundant threads that would never be tolerated on any other forum. By pointing this out where it happens while simultaneously adding valuable content to threads like this, I'm just trying to raise the bar around here. If that pisses you off, then I don't know what to tell you.
  • Reply 359 of 436
    Content goooooood.

Pissy cynicism baaaaaaad.

So... *ANY* new hardware at WWDC? What's your call?

I say displays. iMac or consumer replacement... probably not. Handhelds, tablets, phones, vacuum cleaners and/or weather stations... nah.

Bring on Longhorn! Uh, I mean Tiger!
  • Reply 360 of 436
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Hey Pulver, you're right about all those folks, I even miss JYD, but kormac is a part of that and when you get new folks in the mix, it is sometimes difficult for them to get a guage on kormac and the others....so there is fawning and calling b.s., etc.

If criticism isn't entertaining or knowlegde-expanding, it just gets boring and becomes mere ad hominem...hominum...Escher, what's the spelling? So lets all take our best shots and hope for the best tommorrow!!!