POP Mail.app problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm trying to run 2 pop accounts from the MAIL program. The first one i set up works fine the second does not let me send out email. Spoke to isp and mail server administrator we tried everything. Mail gives authentification not required error when it is required. When i try it without authentification it says it needs to be authenticated.

The settings are exactly as they were on this persons previous pc on outlook. After two hours we gave up trying and setup entourage the same way and it works. Also works on old PC. The only place it doesn't work is MAIL. Is there anything i can do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

I'm trying to run 2 pop accounts from the MAIL program. The first one i set up works fine the second does not let me send out email. Spoke to isp and mail server administrator we tried everything. ...

I assume you set all your pop and mail server settings correctly as you stated in your post.

Off top of my head i'd suggest one thing:

In the mail.app pref pane you'll find a field, where you have to type in your account id. Though, i would try

"[email protected]" or

"idname;domainname.com"

Also, try this in smtp server settings.

Sometimes this change makes a huge difference.

best
  • Reply 2 of 5
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

I assume you set all your pop and mail server settings correctly as you stated in your post.

Off top of my head i'd suggest one thing:

In the mail.app pref pane you'll find a field, where you have to type in your account id. Though, i would try

"[email protected]" or

"idname;domainname.com"

Also, try this in smtp server settings.

Sometimes this change makes a huge difference.

best

Again the only problem i have is sending mail not retrieving it your suggestions didn't work in smtp server settings. This is frustrating since this account works flawlessly in entourage and in outlook on the pc
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    You could try to dump the preferences in the mail app and then when you restart mail, it will ask you to set it up again. Sometimes the files can get corrupted. I ran into the same problem especially with the junk mail filter. One day it just stoped working did this 3 times n 1 yea so far. But anyways, you may want to check the ammount of time the mail app is trying to see the email account. If the accounts are in someway linked, then you may want to try at least 15min to 30 min between checks and see if that works.

Like I said, I think it's just a preference file that may be corrupted if you ask me. I'm sure that if you try to redo it things will be fine.

All in all, if you have another mac try it on there. If it works... Then just take your preferences and mail files and drag them to the mac you are on now.

I also did this with my other mac when my junk filter got corrupted, I draged one from my other mac and it was up and running in no time.

Hope this helps

DD
  • Reply 4 of 5
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Thanks for the reply but I didn't have access to another mac that wasn't being used at the time. WHat i did do was create a new OSX user account and tried from mail there. Same problems. Very strange.

I managed to get it all working with entourage but using mail would be so much better because of the way we share contact lists.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Do you have access to another mac? If you do then try the account on there mail app. If it works tehre, just copy there preferences etc... to your mail app, just over write yours. Then manually deleate any of there info.

That should do the trick.