How will Steve handle the lack of 3Ghz?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
1. Will he own up and admit there were problems and that they were working on fixing them and it will be read "real soon now"?

2. Will he mention something cryptic about they are ready and then flip off IBM?

3. Not mention it and pretend it never happened?

?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    A: By rolling around in a pile of cash on his bed with his naked wife.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    I think he will acknowledge not meeting 3Ghz, but he will also demonstrate the G5 2.5Ghz and show that it is arguably the fastest PC. IBM or Jobs will also briefly discuss the PowerPC roadmap, conveying that the future is assured.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

A: By rolling around in a pile of cash on his bed with his naked wife.

OR

By rolling around in a pile of cash on his bed with your naked wife. Maybe both. Hell, I'm a heterosexual man with a fiance, and I'd join him!
  • Reply 4 of 18
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    That's already been dealt with. There will be no mention of Ghz, no mention of PowerMacs, and certainly no bake-offs.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

That's already been dealt with. There will be no mention of Ghz, no mention of PowerMacs, and certainly no bake-offs.

It is like that old saying, "see no evil hear no evil, then there must be no evil" or somlike that, there will be no mention of MHZ and if someone tries to raise a question, steve will jam his fingers in his ears and hum loudly.

gee...maby dual 3ghz INTEL chips...
  • Reply 6 of 18
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    That's easy, he'll lament not making 3 GHz, just before he introduces the QUAD Xstation! A true workstation class Macintosh with PCXe and high end graphics cards.

This is the logical evolution of the push into high end video and audio, There is a limited, but significant market for a true workstation Macintosh, and it would put a bar so high that all future efforts from Intel and AMD would seem weak and inefficient.

Give it dual, dual layer DVD burners and a RAID array for booting and local storage and Apple will own the high ground for years to come.

Check my sig since 1999, and you will see my advice to Apple since the 7410 G4 days.

• Reply 7 of 18
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

If there is an introduction of new displays, and no other new Macs to demonstrate them, there will surely be a demonstration with the new dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac and probably a bake off. I doubt there will be any mention of anything 3Ghz. There could be rioting.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    I think Steve will mention it, briefly, and point out that everyone else has been having problems moving over to 90nm - not just Apple. He'll say this knowing it'll be forgotten in a month. Will there be a bake-off? These... "carefully configured" bake-offs are becoming a quite a joke in the industry, I hope he he doesn't - but, he probably will. \

C.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I like the quad idea. If apple is to go for the really high end like airospase research it needs a workstation that can really pump it out. It may be light years ahead of the needs of the consumer or mostly ahead of the needs of the art/graphics people. It would be a goal by which all of the other apple users could aspire to. Hey in a few years we all will get the quad g5's at 2.5ghz. With the water cooling four chips may be able to be squeezed into the case and still provide the cooling.

Wish list item that will make me happy-

A phone. GSM/gprs unlocked with roaming voice over ip and .mac sync on the fly. A 4gb hard disk for itunes and bluetooth with the ability to log me into any mac (or pc later) and have all of my prefs and a secure conduit to any of my macs using remote desktop light. Announcement that Apple has bought out salling and adopts his stuff into the phone/remote for airtunes All in the case of the mini!!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Yes, introduced from $2599 and up.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    or he could say...

"We were working really hard on reaching 3Ghz but then we released we're making tons of i cash with this iPod thing, so we're not that bothered anymore..."

but the RDF will make it all seem great!

Still not heard anything about a stream btw.. we need a stream to make the RDF work!

I dont really care that they didn't reach 3ghz (i'll never afford a power mac), steve should never have said that they could do it (kills powermac sales on day one),guess he got caught up in his own RDF.

He should just be honest about it all, i will respect that..

2.5ghz is still kick ass and for me it's the software that really counts... bring on TIGER!!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by tadunne

1. Will he own up and admit there were problems and that they were working on fixing them and it will be read "real soon now"?

2. Will he mention something cryptic about they are ready and then flip off IBM?

3. Not mention it and pretend it never happened?

?

Once again, as he did when he was young, he will shave his head and travel to India to search for enlightenment....with a Cube in his backsack...seen at nightfall whispering....my precious.......my preciouuuuus......

No seriously, the man is too cool to fool, he will as always focus on the positive, ignore the negative.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    I'm sure he'll at least touch on the subject but try to overshadow the mention of it with some speed related 'wow' announcement.

Maybe a reference to new compiler technology or some other optimisation feature that can give a boost to all existing Macs.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
  • Reply 15 of 18
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

LOL, is that a mockup? I can almost picture Steve doing that
  • Reply 16 of 18
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

LOL, is that a mockup? I can almost picture Steve doing that

Yeah, I just banged it out now...

You KNOW he will try.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Yeah, I just banged it out now...

You KNOW he will try.

and somehow we'll believe......at least for the couple hours during and following the keynote
  • Reply 18 of 18
    By not mentioning it or even broadcasting it for anyone else to see.

Quite sneaky if you ask me.