vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xtreme

From MacRumors.com:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...threadid=77079

pulled
  • Reply 42 of 60
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    I'm confirming the bet. Contact me on aim brainchild2b.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    edited.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Anyone want to pay up on the bet now? Thank you :-D Everyone who said they were fake should leave ;-)
  • Reply 45 of 60
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, color me shocked. i wish i could see spotlight in action, because screenshot stills make it look ugly as sin. i guess the konfabulator clone is next on the agenda...
  • Reply 46 of 60
    We go though this ever year with screenshots, everybody comes in and starts analyzing pixels and pointed out "see that's fake" but generally they aren't. You'd have to think up an aweful lot to make a bunch of fake features. And what for? Recognition? You're doing it under fake information.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Dammit... They were real...

Un-fscking-believable... Can't wait to see the QT feed, cause I agree, those shots look'd uglier than ugly.

To live up to what I promised I'd better get that GNU/whatever thing working in a year or so...

ZoSo
  • Reply 48 of 60
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Those new APIs seem cool though... Now if they only provided C# bindings (is this the right term?) and Mono/.NET seamless integration... I could save myself a painful switch to SuSE!

ZoSo
  • Reply 49 of 60
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Hey , you pointed out another mistake - nothing in the list is in alphabetical order. So what order is it supposed to be in? As well, the size and place of the scroll bar suggest the list isn't very long. The person has typed in the letter d - however the option "Recent items" appears. Where is the letter d in that phrase? Further more, every phrase with the letter D should be showing, and as I said, the list doesn't look long.

In regards to the "level of spoken detail" which you thought was so clever of the artist to put in - why did he not highlite the "Speech" icon? Is there no connection between those to items?

Not only is it a BAD fake, it is quite simply pathetic. Whoever put the $50 up on the assertion these are real, your on - please confirm.

I think you owe someone $50.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jimzip

Fake.

Absolutely and definitely.

First, do you think Apple would put those disgusting light patches in the preference pane? Even if it was to show you your search results, they would never do something that pointless and ugly.

Also, he typed 'd' in the search field, and 'Recent Items' and came up. Uh.. Hello?

Also, it may have been made for demo purposes.. Like someone heard that this and that were to be added into Tiger, because they really didn't do a very good job of depicting it realistically..

I believe that they might make the brushed metal look more smooth, and they might indeed put a search function into the preferences, but they will definitely not do it like that..

Moving right along.

Jimzip

So, jim, how's that crow taste??

MMMMMMMM...... good crow! Want salt?
  • Reply 51 of 60
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    LOL, I don't ******* believe it! I'll be in touch, Webmail. But God help you if I find out you live or work anyhwere near 1 infinity loop!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/search_prefs.html
  • Reply 52 of 60
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member

What's funny is that earlier, as I was about to type a haughty critique of why that spotlight screenshot "must" be faked, as I typed it I kept having to stop and back up and reword several times, each time running into the stumbling block of my descriptions actually indicating that it would work and work well.

I was like:

"That's silly, oh look, 18 System preferences have a "d" in them, how useful. Now I type in an "i" and a bunch wink out, showing fewer...and I type "s" and (oh shit!) (go back and rewrite...this isn't proving my point!)"

Yup, in that context I can see it being useful.

I was just glad that the literal spotlights weren't solely what searchlight was about.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    It's 1 Infinite Loop, not "Infinity Loop." I remember seeing that mistake in a major publication's recent Apple-bashing article. On-topic, I think we should begin to realize by now that when screen shots leak close to an event they're usually real.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

What's funny is that earlier, as I was about to type a haughty critique of why that spotlight screenshot "must" be faked, as I typed it I kept having to stop and back up and reword several times, each time running into the stumbling block of my descriptions actually indicating that it would work and work well.

I was like:

"That's silly, oh look, 18 System preferences have a "d" in them, how useful. Now I type in an "i" and a bunch wink out, showing fewer...and I type "s" and (oh shit!) (go back and rewrite...this isn't proving my point!)"

Quite.

Now, the *BIG* question is...

Do the spotlights just 'appear' or do they come flying out of the search box while the rest of the window slowly dims? Perhaps to a little music?
  • Reply 55 of 60
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

So, jim, how's that crow taste??

MMMMMMMM...... good crow! Want salt?

Huh?

I guess.. salt.. would be nice...

WAAAAAAAAA!!! I'm so upset!!! That looks so tacky!!!!

Well, if that's what the new feature is, I just hope it looks AWESOME in action.. Otherwise I may be sticking to Panther for a while..

(But on the other hand, at least I had the guts to say what I was thinking. Those that just browse without commenting and then leap in after the announcement to say: "I knew it!" are just plain annoying..)

Jimzip
  • Reply 56 of 60
    I don't live or work anywhere near there. Los Angeles to be exact. They looked real to me. ;-)

Hehe if you want to pay up that would be fantastic. Or if you want to give it in the form of a $25 itunes gift certificate we'll call it even.

:-)

my email is nospam at courtkizer dot com
  • Reply 57 of 60
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

I was like:

I was just glad that the literal spotlights weren't solely what searchlight was about.

actually, i think the spotlight feature in system preferences is hokey as hell, BUT i can see it being quite useful in other apps like, say, an enormous iphoto library, and you're just looking for pictures of your uncle jimbo in his hunting outfit. of course, you would have had to enter meta data for the pictures (which, i know i am ot one of those people... all my images are still P00001237.jpg).

but still, the spot highlighting could be useful, but i need to see it in action. a screenshot still just makes it look like the window has a blotchy skin condition.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    This is the Tiger screenshots thread, so I thought I'd ask. Is there anyone out there who attended the conference and just happens to read this BB willing to share screenshots with the rest of us, (in due time, of course)? m. 8)
  • Reply 59 of 60
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    I want screenshots of those 140 other features.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

I want screenshots of those 140 other features.

The screens are available on suprnova

Crazy pirates.