Supported Machines

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Do you think tiger will require and change in the supported machine's list????

Obviously the Cire Video won't work on old stuff like quartz extreme doesn't... but will there be any machines that just dont work at all with Tiger?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Do you think tiger will require and change in the supported machine's list????

Obviously the Cire Video won't work on old stuff like quartz extreme doesn't... but will there be any machines that just dont work at all with Tiger?

My guess, sub 700mhz G3 and sub 500mhz G4 owners will be in the cold on this one.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I was looking for that too, but the Tiger pages currently have nothing on "supported hardware". I know CoreImage stuff requires a GeForce 5200 or greater, so that is out on the current low-end iMac. Shows how badly that line needs upgrading, eh?

Also, generation-old PowerBooks had the GeForce4MX also, so no go there either. Tiger (full support of all APIs) could seriously push new hardware. Or alienate current users of slightly old machines.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    CoreImage doesn't support the first 12" powerbook that sucks!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Tiger (full support of all APIs) could seriously push new hardware. Or alienate current users of slightly old machines.

i dont understand this. these computers work perfect right now. they do everything. this will just make some computers faster at doing things these computers can do. anyone who gets annoyed by their machine not being supported needs to find better things to get pissed about.

not singling you out, just using your statement as an example and in anticipation of bitching from people who complain they cant use all of Tiger's features because their machines are old
  • Reply 5 of 5
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

My guess, sub 700mhz G3 and sub 500mhz G4 owners will be in the cold on this one.

i would say anything with built-in USB still. no reason to drop support for those machines. they just wont be able to take advantage of many newer visual features