R.i.p. A.d.c.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
WOO HOO ADC IS DEAD (spits on grave and yells "rot in hell") now the uber cool apple displays can run on a normal kvm switch, no need for evil adapters for pouerbooks, so many good things

3 cheers for standards!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    I'll see your Woo-hoo and raise you a woot.

C.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    the death of apple's second pointless and stupid attempt of creating a display connector that nobody needs.

One cable for many things is handy. One custom plug is stupid.

If you ask me, the combo cable is the really clever solution that should have been used from the very beginning.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    YES!!!!!!! I mean really, is it that hard to take a twisty or one of those cord things and wrap your cords together!
  • Reply 4 of 19
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    i like the convenience of ADC...but it's dated and holding back Apple w/ video card companies for way too long...can't wait to check out the 30" at the store!
  • Reply 5 of 19
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Good riddance!

I am delighted to know that I will be able to use an Apple display with my new 12-inch PowerBook without a clunky and pricey adapter box.

Escher
  • Reply 6 of 19
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Finally!

ADC would be great if it was a pervasive standard.

However, with all other hardware using different plugs, ADC was actually worse for most consumers.

The single-cord/multiple-plugs solution has always been the best solution for the majority of consumers. It really is astounding that it took apple this long to succumb to the obvious.

Now the question is, why are all the other manufacturers equally clueless? I can understand commodity screens using multiple cords, but why also the premium ones?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    ADC and P&D are pretty similar. I think it's shame that it was doomed from the beginning.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Good riddance!

I am delighted to know that I will be able to use an Apple display with my new 12-inch PowerBook without a clunky and pricey adapter box.

Escher

um wont you still need a mini-dvi to dvi adapter?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

um wont you still need a mini-dvi to dvi adapter?

still beatas mini-to full DVI-to-adc
  • Reply 10 of 19
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

If you ask me, the combo cable is the really clever solution that should have been used from the very beginning.

that's exactly what I was thinking. Very clever way of keeping the 'one cord' [@ least until the computer].
  • Reply 11 of 19
    what I was wondering though: how is that thing powered?

By a second cable that is never shown, or do I simply not recognize the power cord among those 4 plugs. to me, none looks like a regular power-plug there...
  • Reply 12 of 19
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

what I was wondering though: how is that thing powered?

By a second cable that is never shown, or do I simply not recognize the power cord among those 4 plugs. to me, none looks like a regular power-plug there...

I think the cable from the monitor is connected to a power supply - probably looking a lot like the ADC-DVI adapter
  • Reply 13 of 19
    that makes sense!
  • Reply 14 of 19
    g::mastag::masta Posts: 121member
    this finally opens the door for Apple to include more up-to-date gfx cards in their machines. No company wants to create custom cards for a small market when they probably make more money from Dell than they do from all of Apple's machines.

G
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by g::masta

this finally opens the door for Apple to include more up-to-date gfx cards in their machines. No company wants to create custom cards for a small market when they probably make more money from Dell than they do from all of Apple's machines.

G

WRONG>

Dells, outside of the top end models use intel integrated video, IT SUX HARD.

they make their major scratch on the a-la-cara cards at places like BB anc CC and comp usa, what oem outside of aleinware and now apple would put a 500$+ graphics card in a computer? espeacialy when the bulk of computers sold by hp/dell are low end home units and office/corprate units where video doesnt matter so long as exel and word work.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    he said "more up to date" not "more up to speed".

And he is right. Apple can now basically take the default design reference cards again, instead of having the manufacturers build custom ADC variants with extra power connectors etc.

This is likely to be LESS expensive for Apple than ADC enabled cards used to be.

It also raises the value of ATIs retail cards, since they now no longer "lack" ADC.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

It also raises the value of ATIs retail cards, since they now no longer "lack" ADC.

wow, they got adc just in time
  • Reply 18 of 19
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    This kind of sucks because I already have an ADC monitor, and I'm in the market for a NV6800 Ultra, so I guess I'll have to buy an adapter.

BTW, do the new displays still function as USB hubs?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

BTW, do the new displays still function as USB hubs?

Yes. They have a USB 2.0 hub, which is backward compatible with USB 1, and a FireWire hub.