Gathering Summer Storm Confronting Bush Presidency?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Joe Klein argues that a "gathering summer storm is confronting [the Bush] presidency," according to his TIME article, "Plenty More to Swear About: Bush's security team faces a barrage of criticism as the facts about Iraq come to light." He elaborates on the metaphor by concluding,
Quote:

"But George W. Bush is facing a long, hot summer of investigations and exposes that will last deep into the campaign season, and last week, for the first time, a Gallup-CNN poll indicated that a majority of Americans think that the war in Iraq was a mistake. This is a difficult trajectory to turn around, and the erupting Vulcans aren't making the President's task any easier."

He cites "four major defensive battles the Administration is facing":
  • Torture investigation

• 9/11 Commission Final Report

• Congressional investigations into the CIA's bungled assessment of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction

• Special prosecutor's hunt for the White House leakers who blew the cover of CIA secret operative Valerie Plame

We've discussed each of those battles-- in detail-- previously. But this is the first time I've read a column in a major periodical that ties them all together. Granted, Klein could detail this "gathering summer storm" better, but I think the idea is pretty perceptive-- and certainly ripe for discussion. Let's just consider Bush hasn't shown a liking to "swatting flies."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    It will stay of course. The summer Bush BBQ is just begining.

As we approach Fall it will turn into a real brick oven.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Guys..you're foaming at the mouth again. You should start these threads with the words "I really, really hope..."
  • Reply 3 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think I'll start a new thread: "Could Kerry win all 50 states?"
  • Reply 4 of 11
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

[dodges cheapshot]

If Kerry's numbers were like Bush's were when I created that thread, I'd say go for it. Secondly, the topic was called "Discuss: Bush wins all 50 states in 2004".
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

i predict the modern day mondale/mcgovern* electoral vote record will stand, bush will win texas.

* the minnesota maulers
  • Reply 6 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Could you say it was...the Perfect Storm? haha. That's so overplayed. Gar!

Anyhoo, I've thought this for a while now. Imagine if Bush hadn't invaded Iraq, and thus succeeded in Afghanistan (hey newsflash SDW and Scott, we haven't caught Osama! We would have if we weren't screwing around in Iraq!)

Bush got to greedy. If he hadn't done dumb things like go in to Iraq too early and without the UN, or the Plume leak scandal, rebuking the 9-11 commission, and Dick Cheney being a douche with his Energy Task Force, they could have got re-elected. Unfortunate but true. He still would have tied the environment to the cross but no one would have noticed because no one cares. Even after they drive to the Day After Tomorrow in their SUV and then go to McDonald's afterwards and get fat. ANYhow aa I get stressed about that issue perhaps because I'm an environmental science major.

Interesting ShawnJ how Cheney's little Energy/Enron scandal and the Supreme Court covering for him until after the election isn't covered, that'll be big. And how about Dick Cheney Strikes Again: Halliburton says oops after overcharging US taxpayers 11 BILLION. And how did they get those contracts again? What they're still paying Dick's pension?

Oh wait I forgot Bush and Dick are two nice guys who are really fantastic people (with a good sense of humor! Fuck off! And where are those WMD again! Oops not over here! Not under here!) when you get to know them, and make good foreign and domestic policy decisions, especially for the long term. Bush is the best environmental President we have ever had. He had a real nice page up on Earth Day!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    And what about those drugs he did while he was skipping out of service for a year during Vietnam? Or his ties to Saudis? Etc....hell it's a long list. At least it was simple for Clinton, gettin' the ol' bj in the office.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

[dodges cheapshot]

If Kerry's numbers were like Bush's were when I created that thread, I'd say go for it. Secondly, the topic was called "Discuss: Bush wins all 50 states in 2004".

Bush "wins" all 50 states? Not too far fetched. One word: DIEBOLD
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

[dodges cheapshot]

I'm sorry but you'll never live that one down.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Bush "wins" all 50 states? Not too far fetched. One word: DIEBOLD

• Reply 11 of 11
    Gee maybe e-voting would actually be good if it was open source. Something like that should NEVER be closed source. I can't believe the crap Diebold's been pulling, like in one county having more votes than there were voters! um whoops? Hey and guess who they contribute to! What a coincidence. Hehe wouldn't it be funny if through some glitch in Diebold Ralph Nader ended up President.