Is Tiger going to be a boring update?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 86
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

People do silly things like open a .jpeg and then print it to PDF with Acrobat here. What's the point?!

.PDF files are less likely to be stripped by virus-hunting email servers than .JPG files.

Quote:

Maybe the PDF pros/cons argument should be another thread?

Yeah, probably, says the guy contributing to it...

• Reply 62 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by shroud

Mine is 9 days!

WOW! Mine is actually 11-Days... Today, plus 10-previous days...!
  • Reply 63 of 86
    synoticsynotic Posts: 151member
    Sorry to bump this thread back up, but it seems like Apple is introducing something interesting with Safari :

Quote:

Save and Email Web Pages

Now you can view Web pages long after they disappear from the Web, complete with images and links, using the new archive feature. Keep them to read later or email to friends and colleagues. Archiving is ideal for saving short-lived Web pages such as articles and personal receipts. Links embedded inside the page will continue to work as long as their destination Web pages still exist

• Reply 64 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Synotic

Sorry to bump this thread back up, but it seems like Apple is introducing something interesting with Safari :

Indeed -- and that butt-ugly Dashboard exists just as the screen capture suggested. Oh man, the designers have been sniffing Redmond glue down in Cupertino. I guess I'll have to go back to my old version of 6.08 just to feel good about Mac interfaces.
  • Reply 65 of 86
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Synotic

Where did you find this info on Safari?
  • Reply 66 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Where did you find this info on Safari?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/safari.html

With less than 10% of Tiger's features revealed, it looks like the answer to the question posed in the thread title is: No.

I find some of Apple's decisions puzzling, but by and large this looks like a kick-ass update.
  • Reply 67 of 86
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Funny, when I save a web page in IE I get three options -

html + folder

web archive

html only

I use html plus folder.

On top of that there is an Explorer option that binds the html file to the folder and makes the folder invisible, so that if you move or delete the html file the folder follows, transparently.

IE does a few things very nicely.

Of course, in the real world we use wget
  • Reply 68 of 86
  • Reply 69 of 86
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I was just playing Devil's Advocate, I know HTML rendering goes. I wish it was uniform. But until a judge splits Microsoft up or something it looks like we'll always have IE and then almost everything else, using actual standards.

In Tiger, I like the look of everything. The new icons, etc. Except Dashboard. Ummm what? They're ripping off another shareware developer (Konfabulator) which incidentally just came out with Konspose...Unless Apple paid them for their idea they must be pissed! Oh well. It looks dumb though. Why does it change all the familiar, if already hated (IMetal) interfaces of iTunes, iCal, etc.? Why didn't they just use the already well designed iTunes Mini Controller window for example? Hmm. Still looks interesting. Exposé looked to be of dubious merit to me at first too until I used it. Hard to judge a feature like this from pictures. Anyway certainly doesn't look boring!
  • Reply 70 of 86
    flippyflippy Posts: 8member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/safari.html

With less than 10% of Tiger's features revealed, it looks like the answer to the question posed in the thread title is: No.

I find some of Apple's decisions puzzling, but by and large this looks like a kick-ass update.

Just watched most of the keynote. For an OS still 9-12 months down the road, that was an obscene amount of SDKs to put in the developers' hands.

Gauntlet, consider yourself thrown.
  • Reply 71 of 86
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by afterhours

Why do you 'hate' PDF? Because it works? Because it is cross-platform?

I like pdf, but I hate it on the web. I despise waiting for 10 seconds for my work pc to open up reader every time I need to view a pdf, particularly when the link isn't labeled. I hate that I don't have full functionality of a pdf in safari unless I save it to disk and open it with preview. I would LOVE pdfs on the web if using them was seamless.
  • Reply 72 of 86
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Boring? Emphatically not.

Not the razzle dazzle of Panther.

But even as an artist, the tech' punching power of 'Tiger' has punched 'longhaul's' lights out!!!

Visual scripting for mere mortals like me. Hay, ma...I can 'script'!

Stunning search engine. Metadata.

Expose widgets.

SDKs for all. Yeesh. Is this 'open' Apple. Take their temperature.

Didn't see X-grid 2 in the keynote...but it looks cool.

iChat goes multi-user.

Core Image/Video looks awesome.

Apple's 'funhouse' does a fine job of blowing away alot of basic Photoshop functionality and it took one guy a week to program in X-Code? Watch out Adobe. Make PS.9 kick-ass or else. (Let's see if they include Mac only features like they have been including Windows only features all these years...we'll see which side of the PS fence Brucie sits on...)

The new Quicktime streaming/scalable format looks stunning. x4 the resolution.

Kickass? This IS one KICKASS update.

And no doubt running fairly fast on a dual 2.5 gigger. Or a dual 3 gigger by then?

Whew. I'm more impressed by this keynote than I was the Panther one.

Mac OS X with 'Tiger' is a Lockdown.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 73 of 86
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I like pdf, but I hate it on the web. I despise waiting for 10 seconds for my work pc to open up reader every time I need to view a pdf, particularly when the link isn't labeled. I hate that I don't have full functionality of a pdf in safari unless I save it to disk and open it with preview. I would LOVE pdfs on the web if using them was seamless.

So what you actually hate is: not having the link URL clearly displayed for you on mouseover, that Adobe Acrobat Reader on the PC is crap, and that something is borked with your Safari setup... see, I click on a PDF, I get it in Preview automatically. By any chance do you have a PDF Viewer plugin installed? That'd display it in the browser window. You also have to have the 'Open Safe Files' option on in Safari Preferences.
  • Reply 74 of 86
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Boring? Emphatically not.

I couldn't agree more. I'm still using Jaguar, with no urgent plans to shell out for 10.3. But I can't wait to get a tiger in my tank, baby!

8)
  • Reply 75 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by boy_analog

I couldn't agree more. I'm still using Jaguar, with no urgent plans to shell out for 10.3. But I can't wait to get a tiger in my tank, baby!

8)

I was a late adopter of Panther -- got to say it seems far more stable at 10.3.4 than 10.2.8 felt. I'm not saying it is a must, but I feel it is yards better than 10.2 was (particularly Mail -- 'though I think I'll move up to Mailsmith shortly just to have a better interface.

Personal preference, perhaps, but clearly Panther has been worth the $ to me and my clients.
  • Reply 76 of 86
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Boring? Ohhhh you mean like Panther. I mean what new features did end users get? Expose and a few UI tweaks? I think Tiger is going to be a huge update. The fact that no one has gotten any information bodes well. Just like aqua which came fron nowhere I expect Tiger to have features that amaze. Panther led the charge by focusing on internal features. Tiger should see those changes reach fruition with new and cool featues. Apple wouldn't let us down. Software is what they know.

iChat, iDisk sync, Safari 1.1/1.2, new finder...
  • Reply 77 of 86
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Hell, I'm going to watch the keynote again...

Good stuff...

(But please, Phil, skip a meal... or skip the polos...I can say that because I have moobs too)
  • Reply 78 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

(But please, Phil, skip a meal... or skip the polos...I can say that because I have moobs too)

hahahahahahahaha

now i feel bad for laughing
  • Reply 79 of 86
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Right, laughing at me just makes me hungry

• Reply 80 of 86
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

Well, I would like to see the option of using the KDE GUI instead of Aqua when one logs on to OSX. I have been using KDE on X86 LINUX recently and it is pretty good. You can see some pictures of it here:

http://www.kde.org/screenshots/kde320shots.php

At login.

1. Down arrow

2. Option+Enter

3. >Console

You could probably config that login screen to be graphical.