Disgusted by Apple ripping off Konfabulator!

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    System 1 Desktop Accessories

Konfab is hardly some awesome original idea. Just a better implementation that builds of off previous ideas. That doesn't mean someone else can't do the same.

Arlo just needs to captalize on the free publicty generated from Apple and make Konfab even beter. People thought Font Book was going to replace Suitcase and others but they still seem to be around. All Arlo has to do is incorporate compelling features that Dashboard doesn't have. Or for that matter change his development/business model to form AROUND Dashboard. Surely he'd have a leg up on anyone else looking to get into it eh?
  • Reply 82 of 90
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    These DA's were in fact extra code which ran in the Finder ( not anywhere else)

That was by necessity , not by design. They were replaced with control panels that were seperate apps when the multi-finder came along ( or in a release or two later).

So what, you ask?

The "what" is that no more will any sane developer develop any product for the Mac that can be easily integrated into the System ( or even some that would seem like they couldn't easily be: like the RSS reader)

Where else did innovation come from, externally to Apple, except from these developers that Apple is ripping off? Any large company that you can think off developing for the Mac first? Any major innovation?

Name your favorite non-Apple apps of the last few years, and ask will have they been ripped off, or will they be ( I assume it is a matter of time for iBlogger)

Why then does anyone develop externally for the Mac? Why would a developer now at the WWDC care about the bells and whistles of Cocoa, even if that environment is fast to write in, if they know that Apple will copy them, and faster?

This is not fair competition, especially since Apple has hooks into secret API. There is a case to be made that Apple be broken up, and Microsoft, into Application and Operating System companies.

And forget Konfabulator alone: the most innovative non-Apple products for Mac Os X only have been

Watson, NetNewsWire, LaunchBar and Konfabulator.

All copied.

This will be my last post on the subject. I have been a Mac user for 12 years, previously a developer for 6, though never in the cult.

Arguing with the Apple apologists is like trying to teach a pig to sing: it won't work, it is tiresome for you; and it annoys the pig.
  • Reply 83 of 90
    Quote:

Originally posted by chilleymac

I gave Apple a break with the Watson thing but that was a great piece of software that they killed and an innovative developer that they pushed from the platform. If you haven't read about it Karelia was sold today probably to Sun. Just had to get that off of my chest.

Actually, Karelia will continue to produce software as an independently owned company - they just sold their Watson product to Sun.
  • Reply 84 of 90
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

This will be my last post on the subject.

Thank God.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by asdasd

This will be my last post on the subject.

Bye.

ps: you'll be back...hehehe
  • Reply 86 of 90
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZoSo

This story is too important for me, before I leave I want to at least try to shake all those carved-in-rock opinions. Then I'll move along, for your general relief...

ZoSo

we'll see you in a few weeks after XP dies on you!
  • Reply 87 of 90
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Thank God.

Dork.

ZoSo
  • Reply 88 of 90
    zosozoso Posts: 177member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

we'll see you in a few weeks after XP dies on you!

If you pull your head outta your ass you could read my posts, and you'd see I never spoke or thought abut switching to XP. Dork.

I'm outta AI, the idiocy of some weighs far more than the intelligence of some others.
  • Reply 89 of 90
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZoSo

Thanks Steve, but after this you lost me (after 14 years).

You're going to quit using a Mac because they have a similar product as Konfabulator. Sad to see you go. Please PM me so I can give you my address so you can ship me your Mac. Thank you.

BTW, your leaving Apple to use a Microsoft OS, who is guilty of this at least a few dozen times. Oh, don't forget to PM me for my address.
  • Reply 90 of 90
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Gee, this thread went to hell in a hurry.

Try again.