Anyone play guitar?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone else here play a guitar, and if you do what songs do you like to play? What kind of guitar? I like to try and play the Pillows as much as I can and I have a stratocaster. "Ride on a shooting star" by the pillows tabbed here, http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/p/pi..._star_tab.htm, if you want to play it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i started teaching myself guitar about 6 months ago. i love it. it makes it more fun now that i'm *decent* since i didnt have to take lessons or anything. (just hours upon hours of practice). anyways, i play all kinds of crap, but my favorite stuff is what i've written. i do everything from punkish power chord-stuff to dashboard confessional stuff to really slow rock. someday i'll gband it and post it for you guys.

edit: there's a pic of my apple-ized guitar in my blog, just fyi
  • Reply 2 of 19
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Bass player here, but I do dabble on guitar, mainly to help with learning music theory(where it's very important to know all your chords)
  • Reply 3 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I just dabble and am a learner since I dont usually have much time to spend at it, and especially patience unfortunately.

I have a fender strat custom......pretty nice, but i had to leave it at school for the summer....bit of a bummer. I'd like to pick up an affordable acoustic guitar maybe
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I love guitar. I started when I was 9, back in'73.

The best part to me is that I play in bands and gig out quite a bit.

Last weekend we played a a gig and we recorded it using my kids eMac, Garageband, and 1 microphone about 50' in front of the band.

It turned out pretty good some mp4's here

Just keep practicing and you get better and better.

Have Fun, RandyMy Bands homepage
  • Reply 5 of 19
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    ASIDE: Is there a good online collaboration/playing piece of software? The new iChat AV will do up to 10 people in audio and that might be cool if the latency is low enough.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Here's me playing guitar and piano with a little help from garageband. And no making fun. I'm very sensitive.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

I love guitar. I started when I was 9, back in'73.

The best part to me is that I play in bands and gig out quite a bit.

Last weekend we played a a gig and we recorded it using my kids eMac, Garageband, and 1 microphone about 50' in front of the band.

It turned out pretty good some mp4's here

Just keep practicing and you get better and better.

Have Fun, RandyMy Bands homepage

JUST dont sell the CD, or the RIAA will be on your ass. Someone holds a patent for this!
  • Reply 8 of 19
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I've been playing for about twenty years, but I'm still not that good. Never bothered to learn anyone elses songs just write my own. I've been fortunate enough to amass a pretty nice selection of guitars and amps. I've got three Fenders, a strat, tele and a jagstang. I also have a Tokai 335 knockoff and two acoustics, a Guild and a Martin. I've got a bunch of amps too, two Marshalls, two Fenders, and a noname amp from the sixties, all are all tubes. I'd trade it all though for a little more talent!
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I've been playing the guitar for 5 years now, and own an electric Fender Stratocaster from Mexico (plugged on a Peavey Bandit 112 amp), and a nice folk guitar from Cort.

I play a lot of Radiohead and Tom Mc Rae songs (Street Spirit from Radiohead always sounds awesome on my folk guitar, and The boy with the bubblegun from Mc Rae sounds just great) and loads of British/American rock songs...

I'm also part of a band (both guitarist and singer) called The Ones to Rescue (ohhh, now you understand my nickname!).

Here in Japan, I've bought a crappy folk guitar just to keep training a little... the rest of the stuff is back home (in France)!
  • Reply 10 of 19
    ipenguinipenguin Posts: 10member
    I currently can't play guitar, I will learn in a year or two most likely though; my brothers are very good at it on the other hand. As I don't know how to play anything, I will list what I would like to learn:

- Dust in the Wind (for laughs)

- Plenty o' Metallica, but only with a guitar it sounds better I think without the other stuff.

- Anything else I like

I've got an idea, tell me what you guys think, you know how there are beatbox and vocal instrumentalists (whatever it is called), well what if you made a band made up of those. So one person can imitate a certain instrument while the other does another, and you can make songs etc. It should work if you were good
  • Reply 11 of 19
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Bass player here but also do some guitar. Have a 1962 Telecaster as well as Yamaha semi-acoustic guitar
  • Reply 12 of 19
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipenguin

- Dust in the Wind (for laughs)

Oh yeah. When I was learning in the 1980s, we all played:

Dust in the wind

Stairway to heaven

Over the hills and far away

Wish you were here

I'm sure there are lots of others I'm forgetting. Anyone care to add to the list?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    ipenguinipenguin Posts: 10member
    That sounds fun.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Oh yeah. When I was learning in the 1980s, we all played:

Dust in the wind

Stairway to heaven

Over the hills and far away

Wish you were here

I'm sure there are lots of others I'm forgetting. Anyone care to add to the list?

Oh don't worry, everyone's learning these ones even now! You can add Hotel California too!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Been playing for 16 or 17 years now. Until recently (the last 3 years), when grad school and a new job kicked my ass, I was playing live a couple of nights a week, on average, since I was about 18 (I'm 32). Primarily acoustic.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I play all sorts of guitar. . . in my head.

Some nice low power chords:

Chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga, Don-Don-Darrr

Moving down the neck:

Raawwawawaw, deedle-da dwoawowa, doodly dodly

Then way up on the high strings:

wheedle-de, wheedle-de, wheedle-de, whoarrrrr!

(I swear, I was born twenty years too early)
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I've been playing guitar for about nine years, but I'm still not very good. I currently have a Carvin guitar (http://www.carvin.com/) which I love and recommend!

Does anyone else find that the tabs on OLGA are incorrect with alarming regularity?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    I have been playing for 3 weeks after a sabattical of 8 years, I just bought a Dean Custom Zone, and a Digitech rp80, running into Cubase SX. Would post my first tune - its actually not too bad!,think "I wanna be adored"- stone roses, but I dont have a site.

Anyway I just downloaded tabs from motleycrue.com, hey these guys actually dont fuck you for £10 for the tabs to each of their albums, they're free on their site.

I just retuned to drop-D, to play Uncle-Jack, Drop-D and mental fuzz is awesome dude!
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I play all sorts of guitar. . . in my head.

Some nice low power chords:

Chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga, Don-Don-Darrr

Moving down the neck:

Raawwawawaw, deedle-da dwoawowa, doodly dodly

Then way up on the high strings:

wheedle-de, wheedle-de, wheedle-de, whoarrrrr!

(I swear, I was born twenty years too early)

hey BITCH!, thats my tune, you OWE me ROYALTIES