Annual Appleworks 7 thread

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
(Posted at MAF, too)

It has been more than four years since Appleworks has been updated. It may run on OSX, but it is a far cry from the pinnacle of perfection it was in version five - small, fast and to the point.

My father does spreadsheeting, databasing in Appleworks and it would be splendid when my father makes the move to OSX, there could be a fast, small and to the point cocoa version of Appleworks.

Some may suggest MS Office, but it is horrible overkill. Office doesn't even have a database feature! AW has had it since the beginning and does 99% of the people need.

Although the Mac may be the center of the digital hub for music, photos and whatnot, we still need to do work! It is 'computerally' criminal Apple ships pro macs without proper word processing/spreadsheet/drawing/database capabilities.

Lets hear for Appleworks 7!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I have the money burning a hole in my pocket waiting for Appleworks 7.

Nick
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Agreed. I do use Excel and Word, but only with the most basic of features.

Everything that is in AppleWorks now is fine for me.

Just modernize it (sheets and other UI updates) and I'd be pretty happy with it.

I'd love to be able to never use MS office again.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    AppleWorks needs to be re-designed from Scratch. It's badly Carbonized and doesn't support Unicode. Rather than polishing the current version, it's whole concept is pretty much outdated. You should be able to get 'up to date' quotes from wall street into the spreadsheet part for example. By making it integrated to the web you should also be able to link to current interest rates and so on. Text looks poor in the WP and some semi-Keynote app would be great addition too.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    It's coming sooner rather then later. WSJ speculates such an introduction (need registration to read article - which I don't have).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    tokentoken Posts: 142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

It's coming sooner rather then later. WSJ speculates such an introduction (need registration to read article - which I don't have).

Maybe its Apples fantastic new, Quicktime API based cross platform word processor ?!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I saw the article. It's just one line in a story that focuses on the lack of growth in Macintosh sales:

Quote:

Behind the scenes, the company is working on other projects to jazz up the Macintosh. Among them: next generation word-processing and productivity software, according to a person familiar with the matter.

That's it.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Well, count me in on this thread. We should call it AppleWorks 8 or AppleWorks X, since its been so long.

I just mentioned over in the OSX forum that Core Image and Core Video would do wonders to Keynote and, offcourse, any other drawing app-such as might be found in a new AppleWorks.

One of my biggest complaints with MS Office is that the PDF files are rendered so poorly. This alone makes me use keynote instead of powerpoint. However, I have no substitute for word that is good enough. So when I place graphics from an app, i often convert it in graphics converter from pdf to jpeg-a real pain.

Overall, I can imagine Apple can make AppleWorks look and work soooo much better than MS Office, but do we have to wait for Tiger now?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    I'd love a new Appleworks. I have it installed, but it gets zero usage. At work its MS Office and at home its OpenOffice.org. For opening files MS Office is great, but creation wise I'd love a fast, cocoa-driven solution. Don't need something as powerful as Word.

Count me in on the wait.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    AppleworX

No, I'm not serious.