Freakin' Dell DJ promo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dell is offering their DJ at reduced prices (rebate) with the trade-in of an iPod. This press release describes the deal.

Fading batteries are mentioned in a dig at Apple. Well, what kind of battery does the damn DJ use? Specs list a lithium-polymer battery. Isn't that the same as the iPod? What crap!!!

Has any NORMAL person (not some paid-off reviewer) ever actually USED a Dell DJ with MusicMatch and had a good experience? Drives me crazy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    This is more devious than it sounds.......

Think about it......

Sell a $199 DJ for $99 after rebate and your 'recycled' iPod.....

(ok, so they may be taking a loss there)

Then have unnamed third party sell the refurbished iPods at...say.... $199....

(here we make our killing)

Do you seriously think they are throwing those iPods away?

Brilliantly evil.... I think.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TitaniumDustin

This is more devious than it sounds.......

Think about it......

Sell a $199 DJ for $99 after rebate and your 'recycled' iPod.....

(ok, so they may be taking a loss there)

Then have unnamed third party sell the refurbished iPods at...say.... $199....

(here we make our killing)

Do you seriously think they are throwing those iPods away?

Brilliantly evil.... I think.

Ahh...but they wouldn't be refurbished would they? They would have to sell them as used. Mine has tons of scratches and stuff...if I bought a refurbished iPod and it was as bad as mine is, I'd kill a man.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    dferigmudferigmu Posts: 269member
    Most of you might hate Dell for doing this, and I hate Dell as a company, but I really like this deal.

I think it takes competition like this to get Apple off its ass. Hopefully, this will get Apple to put a replaceable battery in the iPod and lower its prices.

The Dell DJ and MusicMatch might be crap, but I have a feeling a lot of people would rather save $200 than have eas-of-use.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

Most of you might hate Dell for doing this, and I hate Dell as a company, but I really like this deal.

I think it takes competition like this to get Apple off its ass. Hopefully, this will get Apple to put a replaceable battery in the iPod and lower its prices.

The Dell DJ and MusicMatch might be crap, but I have a feeling a lot of people would rather save $200 than have eas-of-use.

Then again with iPods selling so well Dell *needs* to do something like this to spark interest.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Then again with iPods selling so well Dell *needs* to do something like this to spark interest.

I know, but iPods won't be able to sell so well for very long with prices that are hundreds of dollars above the competition.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Ahh...but they wouldn't be refurbished would they? They would have to sell them as used. Mine has tons of scratches and stuff...if I bought a refurbished iPod and it was as bad as mine is, I'd kill a man.

Even not refurbished I bet an original (aka oldest) iPod sells for more than 100 bucks on ebay. So there is definately no loss occuring here on Dell's part.

Its one thing to get someone to buy a Dell insted of an Apple- but who would leave once they have the superior machine... especially the iPod which doesn't have the compatability issues of Windows vs. Mac OS....
  • Reply 7 of 34
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:

I know, but iPods won't be able to sell so well for very long with prices that are hundreds of dollars above the competition.

Hundreds above the competition? Have you always have this flair for the dramatic?
  • Reply 8 of 34
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Why in the world would you pay $100 dollars to downgrade.

I mean, the only reason I could see someone doing it is if they have an old 5 gig.

Get the DJ, sell it on e-bay for $150 or something, get the $100 rebate, and bam, you've got a mini for free or a very cheap and far superior new iPod.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    These are the people that claim they hold more songs than an iPod but they leave the fact that it is at half the bitrate and in lesser quality WMP format for the tiny print.

Idiots that buy them wouldn't know a bit rate if it bit them on their asses anyway...

<- x 1000

• Reply 10 of 34
    Well, my first gen 5 gig iPod died on Sunday (hard drive failure). If I could only find someone interested in this Dell deal, we could maybe split the savings. It is not clear in the promo if the iPod has to be functioning though...

BTW:

Now that I'm looking to replace, it is clear that the iPod is out of line price wise. Don't get me wrong, I'll get another iPod, but eventually Apple is going to lose this one, just like they lost the desktop computer war. Greed is NOT good.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by failedmathematician

BTW:

Now that I'm looking to replace, it is clear that the iPod is out of line price wise. Don't get me wrong, I'll get another iPod, but eventually Apple is going to lose this one, just like they lost the desktop computer war. Greed is NOT good.

Know well that greed is precisely why you can get a player for less than $50 or even "free".

The mom and pop store down the street isn't "greedy" because they charge you $1.00 for a Coca-Cola. It is Wal*Mart that is greedy for selling you a 6-pack of Coca-Cola for $1.00. Why? Wal*Mart wants dominance at all costs even if they lose money selling you a 6-pack for $1.00. Their greed puts everyone else out of business and in the end you have no one else to go to. Lowest price is the bait. The guppies bite everytime.

It's a race to the bottom, meaning those with the most upfront capital to blow will be the winner in the end. Has nothing to do with producing innovative, quality products. Want that? Go for it.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    The only advantage to a dell dj is that it has a longer battery life. I have heard that the only way they reach that life is by putting in 2 batteries. When those batteries die, you will have to buy a new one. You have to replace the whole unit because of the batteries. At least apple has a program to replace the one battery.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Ah, the sweet smell of utter desperation.

Go ahead and trade in your iPod, failedmathematician. Dell will be so grateful for the sale that Mike'll probably hand-deliver your new DJ.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Amorph: F*** that. I don't want a Dell, I want another iPod! I'm going to pick one up the next time I get to a city, which will be this weekend. It is not good for me to be left with only the voices in my head. But if someone else is going to get a Dell anyway and I can save them 100 bucks, then I'm going to do it.

johnq: good point, although obviously not what I meant. The modern corporation is an ugly thing.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    Has anyone done a Dell DJ vs iPod shootout?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Has anyone done a Dell DJ vs iPod shootout?

20GB Dell DJ:

9,925 songs in 64kbps WMA format

vs.

20GB Apple iPod:

5,000 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format

*DING* iPod wins!

There's your shootout.

(*10,000 if you insisted on using 64kbps and who would unless you were trying to artificially inflate the number for songs it can hold?)

There's no frigging choice. iPod only.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    This would be like chevy offering a flat trade-in value of $2000 for any <5 yr old mercadies, in the history of promotions, this one sux, I mean who trades in a lexus for a Pinto?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Know well that greed is precisely why you can get a player for less than $50 or even "free".

The mom and pop store down the street isn't "greedy" because they charge you $1.00 for a Coca-Cola. It is Wal*Mart that is greedy for selling you a 6-pack of Coca-Cola for $1.00. Why? Wal*Mart wants dominance at all costs even if they lose money selling you a 6-pack for $1.00. Their greed puts everyone else out of business and in the end you have no one else to go to. Lowest price is the bait. The guppies bite everytime.

It's a race to the bottom, meaning those with the most upfront capital to blow will be the winner in the end. Has nothing to do with producing innovative, quality products. Want that? Go for it.

Please...don't try to justify high prices for NOT being greedy. I think iPods should sell for at at least $50-100 less than they do now.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

Please...don't try to justify high prices for NOT being greedy. I think iPods should sell for at at least $50-100 less than they do now.

The sales numbers simply don't support your argument.

You sell it at what people will buy it for, and they are still being bought in droves.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Sony just released a 20GB hard dive based player for $400 (unfortunately it seems to only play their 64kbps ATRAC format so I'm not sure how popular it will be). Apple's pricing is not so far out of line and the sales numbers bear this out.

Also in coparison to the Sony player I mentioned the iPod gives the user more options for playback formats. The iPod prices will remain competitive I'm sure and upgrades will come as necessary.