Hardware / Software Blitz in 2003 ?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Doesn't it seem like starting in early 2003 (macworld) that apple is going to begin a blitz of product anouncements? Besides the portable lines (iBook and TiBook), it seems that a ton of things are due in january or shortly there after as far as hardware and software goes.

Hardware:

Xserve update

Xserve RAID

Powermac update

iPod update

iMac update

eMac update

Display line update

Airport update

New portable device? (i dont personally think there will be but alot of you guys seem to think there will be)

Software

iMovie update

iPhoto update

iDVD update

iTunes update

iSync GM

Final Cut Pro update

(appleworks is long overdue for an update but who knows what apple's plans are with it)

Even if apple only manages to get HALF of these out the door in early 03' (which i think its most likely they will), it still looking like an exciting start for the new year. And MWSF looks like it will be fun . Apologies if this wrong forum because of the inclusion of the software part of it.

-tommy

[edit: spelling, im sure i still didnt catch all of it]

[ 11-22-2002: Message edited by: TommyBrando ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Why would they update the notebook line, when they just did a couple of weeks ago?

Powermacs=YES!
  • Reply 2 of 63
    Because the Ti-book enclosure will be two years old in February and the portable Superdrive writes DVDs at 1x, not 2x like the desktop Superdrives. The ibook is still running a g3 even though the G4 portable line has been around for nearly 2 years and 800mhz or not, it's slow...
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Less than two months after they finally got the DVD burner working? I think not.

I think the enclosure is fine. Why does everyone always want to change the enclosure?

[ 11-22-2002: Message edited by: Rhumgod ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 63
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Because the enclosure is not fine. It has had paint, hinge, battery, and screen durability issues, it continues to have heat issues, and it also has a non-standard optical drive (doesn't play nice with 8cm discs)

But it seems the manufacture has been steadily improving, so maybe they can perfect it rather than redesign it. Or as the did with the black books, redesign it without changing it that much?
  • Reply 5 of 63
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>It has had paint, hinge, battery, and screen durability issues, it continues to have heat issues</strong><hr></blockquote>

At least it's not <a href="http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=1790144"; target="_blank">this</a> hot!

Seriously, I've had mine for well over a year, and am happy with the non-chipping paint, non-heat issues and excellent battery life. Mine hasn't a single scratch, and my battery life is still over 3 hours. Honestly, I cannot complain a bit - that's why I don't see the need to change an already great design. What exactly do people buy that comes on 8cm? I've seen them, but is there a niche audience that they are sold to? Because I've only seen them as the CD version of the old 45 records.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    People still routinely complain about the fans and the heat generated. About the battery, I should clarify, I didn't mean the battery life -- claims over which I never believe, manufacturers must test these things in some sort of alternat reality -- IYR, the first models had some problems with the battery seating properly in it's dock, it's been fixed. The screen itself doesn't neccessarily inspire confidence, but that may be psychological, we're just not used to seeing things that thin. Apparently the paint has also been fixed, but the fan situation remains hit and miss, and the heat issue is still present for a great many (laptop) users.

Some more evolution of the current model couldn't hurt, even if it altered the case slightly.
  • Reply 7 of 63
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Some more evolution of the current model couldn't hurt, even if it altered the case slightly.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Evolution...I like that. I think they nearly got the enclosure of the TiBook perfect off the bat, but a simple evolution fixed the problems they originally had. I don't like change to cure end-user boredom. Change needs to bring about better designs, innovation and, most of all, productivity. I think the iBook and TiBook do a great job of satisfying those points.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    Easy guys, im sorry if i didn't word it correctly in my original post. I meant that i think the portable lines are NOT due for an update but the list i provided should be in the first quarter of 03'. Whether apple would manage to get that much done in Q1 03' or not remains to be seen. Again, sorry for the confusion. I'm awaiting my new 1 ghz TiBook w/ superdrive, im not expecting an update to it or the iBook for awhile.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I don't see any reason to upgrade Xserve yet. It's just fine as regards price/performance, and as far as I'm aware there are no little niggles or bugs that need fixed.

My bet is there'll be really minor updates over the next few months, and it'll go 64-bit toward the end of 2003 or early 2004.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    I agree with only minor updates for beginning of 03 and huge at the end. But i think there will just be an overwhelming amount of things going on so even though there probably wont be huge announcement, just many many tweaks to everything for the better.

I could see an update to the powermacs to 1.4 ghz that coincides with the same G4's getting put into the Xserve. No major mobo upgrades, just standard minor update stuff.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Rhumgod:

[QB]

At least it's not <a href="http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=1790144"; target="_blank">this</a> hot!

That could not have been fun. OUCH!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 63
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>I don't see any reason to upgrade Xserve yet. It's just fine as regards price/performance, and as far as I'm aware there are no little niggles or bugs that need fixed.</strong><hr></blockquote>The drive bays are not that good, they easily fall out of alignment and that doesn't look too good. The fans.. really? The blow like there's no tomorrow but where do they take their cool fresh air from? It seems to me that they are just recycling the hot air witch is pretty much locked inside the case. Redundant power supplys? And.. Why not 1.25 GHz?

These might fall under the small corrections witch Belle talks about, and besides them.. the Xserve is gereat! FireWire 2 wouldn't hurt either.. I really miss TCP/IP over FireWire in Mac OS X. Clustering Xserve-modules without using Ethernet. Wouldn't that be great?
  • Reply 13 of 63
    I think that MWSF03 will see iMac, eMac, and the mention of a forthcoming PowerMac
  • Reply 14 of 63
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Apple doesn't talk about an upcoming product a whole lot before its release. The "release" is usually before shipping, but they don't usually have much "pre-release" stuff.

I could see Jobs talking about the PPC 970, possibly, but I don't think we'll see him say "We're going to have a new PowerMac based on this!" They only pre-announce software, like Jaguar.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    Well, Apple better come close to the poster's aggressive list. They are so close to stealing some thunder, but need to do it and cut some lower-end pricing, too.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    [quote]Originally posted by TommyBrando:

<strong>I meant that i think the portable lines are NOT due for an update but the list i provided should be in the first quarter of 03'... Again, sorry for the confusion. I'm awaiting my new 1 ghz TiBook w/ superdrive, im not expecting an update to it or the iBook for awhile.</strong><hr></blockquote>

There was nothing to be confused about in your post.

The order you placed is a compelling reason not to include portables in your list anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    I wont be disapointed if apple doesnt come through with all this stuff in early 03'. Apple releases stuff when the product is ready as well as when they are ready to bring it to the market.

I've learned not to question apple's business ways. Although it may make some of us agrivated, we kinda have to shut our mouths when we remember apple is still making money and plenty of it.

Boo hoo.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    I pray they don't release the 'next lisa' until I finish school (my masters) in Dec. 2004. THEN I will be shopping around, but for now, my G4 ROCKS baby! Yeah!
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Hm, what do you mean by "blitz"? Are you trying to use some cool german words?

[ 11-26-2002: Message edited by: Bender ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 63
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bender:

<strong>Hm, what do you mean by "blitz"? Are you trying to use some cool german words?</strong><hr></blockquote>

PRONUNCIATION:

blĭts

NOUN:

1 a. A blitzkrieg. b. A heavy aerial bombardment. 2. An intense campaign: a media blitz focused on young voters. 3. Football A sudden charge upon the quarterback by one or more of the linebackers or defensive backs when the ball is snapped. Also called red-dog.

VERB:

Inflected forms: blitzed , blitz·ing , blitz·es

TRANSITIVE VERB:

1. To subject to a blitz. 2. Football To rush (the quarterback) in a blitz.

INTRANSITIVE VERB:

Football To carry out a blitz.

ETYMOLOGY:

Short for blitzkrieg.