Hoping new pro G5's bring a pro mouse/keyboard

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Much of the speculation here has focussed around the CPU, but I'm hoping any new pro desktop yields a pro keyboard and mouse.

While probably not econonically sound to do so for Apple, it would be great to have distinctly different pro and consumer keyboards/mice.

The current mouse, while elegant and sexy, doesn't cut it for production (too much effort to push the whole mouse down while others want three buttons).

The keyboard is just too vague INHO. Plus any bit of dirt makes the keys too sticky after a few months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I think Apple needs a better mouse, no question, but the keyboard needs to have the same praise as the one on the PowerBooks. And I wonder if Apple is working to incorporate the light sensor and backlighting into a new pro keyboard?
  • Reply 2 of 48
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I keep hoping for new KB and mouse but Apple seems content with the garbage they have.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Whats wrong with the keyboard? I like Apple's offering.

The mouse on the other hand is silly. I don't see how anyone can use OSX w/o a right-click. Apple needs to get over their philosophical problems with this reality. They have created an operating system that heavily relies on the rt-click. why force you users to reach for the keyboard when they want to access context. menus.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Periodically, Apple really gets its act together and offers a remarkably aesthetic and functional product. IMO, the last time this happened was with the introduction of the cube - the screen, keyboard, mouse and cube were a truly great match.

In this "Year of the Mac", I hope that Apple gets it all together - lose the ego, put an Al display, Al keyboard (use some of the PowerBook concepts), Pro, Al mouse (with dare I say it, a BTO 2 or 3 button alternative) and Al G5 CPU. Pleeaseeee Apple........don't give us a wide-bezel plastic flat panel, Al iSight, Al G5 box and cheesy plastic keyboards and mouse.
  • Reply 5 of 48
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    A two button mouse will never roll out of Cupertino.

Some say its Steve Jobs.

Well, he was gone for 10 years and the single button mouse lived on.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I've never been too much of a fan of over ambitious keyboards but iTunes does present a wonderful option for apple to add dedicated controls. Volume, track access, one button Music Store access etc would be great.

Better yet why doesn't Apple sell a kb model with a iPod Dock molded right into the side.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    The keyboards are fine.

Apple, We want a scroll wheel and a second button! (When I say we I mean me and my two colleagues but Apple doesn't need to know this.)

Dobby.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    The mouse is fine. I like how easy it is to click, and it's perfect for my daughter to use too.

The keyboards on the other hand, suck major amounts of ass. The non-adjustable slant gives me carpal and totally affect my... uh. Well, it makes my right hand sore.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

A two button mouse will never roll out of Cupertino.

Some say its Steve Jobs.

Well, he was gone for 10 years and the single button mouse lived on.

Yes, but during those years Steve had an affair with a two button mouse...

Oh, and if you ever wondered where the iMac's 'hockey puck' came from:

• Reply 10 of 48
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I think Apple needs a better mouse, no question, but the keyboard needs to have the same praise as the one on the PowerBooks. And I wonder if Apple is working to incorporate the light sensor and backlighting into a new pro keyboard?

A backlighted keyboard is a good idea. While I am typing on my mac, at night in my bedroom, my wife is sleeping and is annoyed by the light.

I vote for that one
  • Reply 12 of 48
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Well, I'm bringing this thread back to life. The new slick LCD monitors launched this week really underscores the need for a new keyboard and/or mouse.

The WWDC gallery pics on Apple's site and the VR QuickTime demo, show how mismatched a G5 Tower/Displays are against the current white keyboard.

If for no other reason, do it for pure design aesthetics. Also, Apple seems to have differentiated pro and consumer lines with silver and white. However, I'd rather they not only address the colour, but size, adjustability, and feel of both keyboard and mouse.

The current keyboard's puny size looks like it from the recycled bin of the Apple II GS.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    idebaseridebaser Posts: 121member
    now that the new monitors have USB 2.0, it would be a great idea to add that to the pro keyboards...

...as for the mice, this has been explained/discussed ad nauseum...the Mac OS is better 'cuz everything can be accessed w/ the no button mouse - keeps the program designers honest and clean w/ the menus...

as far as point and clicking for beginners, nothing is easier than the apple mouse(don't even bother commenting unless you've worked w/ kids or elderly)...

last time i checked there are several offerings of mice/trackballs to choose from...the only gripe i can understand is if apple only allows you to use their brand mouse...
  • Reply 14 of 48
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Bah... I've long given up hoping Apple would put out a remotely decent mouse and keyboard. I personally recommend the Logitech MX 510 Optical mouse (but for serious Photoshop work I like to use smaller mice - like the MS Wheelmouse Optical) and Macally apparantly offers a number of good keyboards (I hear a lot of people speak well of the "Icekey" model). I tell ya, I really miss those old beige Apple Pro Keyboards - those were the best.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    The mouse and keyboard art great! If you want a two or three button mouse, buy one! Granted I would like Apple to offer more capable options as BTO configs, but for the standard config, the current offerings are fine except for the fact that they don't match.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

now that the new monitors have USB 2.0, it would be a great idea to add that to the pro keyboards...

Isn't that a little overkill?
  • Reply 17 of 48
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

The mouse and keyboard art great! If you want a two or three button mouse, buy one! Granted I would like Apple to offer more capable options as BTO configs, but for the standard config, the current offerings are fine except for the fact that they don't match.

They're not fine. No PowerMac G5 buyer is going to use that crappy mouse with his system. Lot's of users like to let their keyboards lie flat, too. Apple's keyboard and mouse offerings are pathetic.

A better mouse acceleration algorithm in OS X would be nice too.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    I, Bulky Cranium am a one button mouse lover.

There I said it.

Personally I can only use the single button mouse. If apple ever stops making them I am goint to rush out and stock up on them (Hoping they don't change from a USB interface anytime soon).

I spend at least 10 to 12 hours a day attached to my mouse. I know--that's not healthy, but anyhow... I have purchased a few different kinds of mice in the past thinking I should be using something more productive. I bought some forgotten name 2 button mouse way back in the days of ADB, I also purchased a Logitec Thumb scroll trackball, a MS Intli something or other with a lot of buttons and a scroll wheel and also a logitech Cordless Elite Duo. Wacom drawing tablets (which suck for navigating, but are priceless for PhotoShop). Of all of them, the Cordless Elite Duo was nice and my kids get a lot of use out of it. I don't want them to fall victim to the same fate as me.

I can not use a 2 or 3 or more button mouse all day. I have tried. Many, many times I have tried. But I hold the mouse with my thumb on the left of the mouse and my middle finger on the left of the mouse (right where Apple has placed those little tab thingies) and my index finger falls right in the middle, where most companies put there little scroll wheel. If I use anything else, I have to move my index finger over to the left the tiniest bit, but that changes the whole ange of my arm. After a couple of days I have searing pains from my wrist halfway up my forearm.

So now instead of trying to fight it I have just accpted it. The Command options & control keys work quite nicely.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

They're not fine. No PowerMac G5 buyer is going to use that crappy mouse with his system. Lot's of users like to let their keyboards lie flat, too. Apple's keyboard and mouse offerings are pathetic.

A better mouse acceleration algorithm in OS X would be nice too.

I think you're making a hasty generalization there. Several of my colleagues use the Apple mouse and keyboard on their G4s and G5s. Many pros are so accustomed to using keyboard shortcuts that it seems natural to trigger contextual menus that way. As I said, a more capable mouse ought to be offered as an option.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wilkie

I think you're making a hasty generalization there. Several of my colleagues use the Apple mouse and keyboard on their G4s and G5s. Many pros are so accustomed to using keyboard shortcuts that it seems natural to trigger contextual menus that way. As I said, a more capable mouse ought to be offered as an option.

My bad. It's just that no experienced Mac user I know likes the Apple 1 button mouse. I would guess that the majority of PowerMac users don't like the 1 button mouse.