I don't get widgets

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    mpmoriartympmoriarty Posts: 289member
    But SpotLight is more than just a metadata searching app. It is a technology that developers can tap into to improve their own applications.

Everything that Apple is doing with SpotLight, I'm sure Launch Bar or QuickSilver could do if they integrated it.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Everything that Apple is doing with SpotLight, I'm sure Launch Bar or QuickSilver could do if they integrated it.

So far it is unclear what kind of access third-parties will have to Spotlight. We know that Developers can extend their application to enable metadata and searching, but little has been said about whether third-parties can access all the metadata on the system, i.e. whether LaunchBar or QuickSilver can use the Spotlight database for their searches, or whether developers can enhance the search algorithms used by the system, i.e. could someone market an adaptive search "plug-in" that would be leveraged by existing Spotlight implementations. Apple has provided a framework, but how open is it?
  • Reply 23 of 26
    being able to code Gadgets in HTML/CSS/Java is boom for vast amounts of people like me with web design skills.

Dashboard is going to be big

I wonder if I could drop some flash into these Gadgets?!

• Reply 24 of 26
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I have to wonder if this integration could hurt the mac, small html/java scripts made by 3rd parties? this sounds like the recipe for spyware/malware/junkware.

Am i wrong? If so what don't I know?
  • Reply 25 of 26
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    By taking the browser frame out of the web browser, it seems that apple has stumbled accross a whole new genre of cross platform software. It should be fairly trivial to create a windows emulator for dashboard apps.

Interesting, I wonder why apple chose to limit this functionality to a seperate layer of the desktop?
  • Reply 26 of 26
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

By taking the browser frame out of the web browser, it seems that apple has stumbled accross a whole new genre of cross platform software.

You mean like XUL?