Which software do you use to create websites?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    If we are talking about Transmit, then Fugu has to be mentioned. It can't do plain ftp, but it is miraculous on all of the secure file transfer methods.

And if you can't be secure *shudder*, then RBrowser should also be considered. Not my favorite interface, but nice functionality.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

oh, forgot Transmit... my FTP weapon of choice...

great tool. i love the edit feature. use it to do most of the editing on many of my existing sites. i also use both golive, and dreamweaver, plus, whatever text editor is handy and cssedit.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    I use magic to make websites. And I don't mean a program, I mean like David Blaine and David Copperfield and everyone else named David.

ya anyways, I write raw code with TacoHTML Edit.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

And if you can't be secure *shudder*, then RBrowser should also be considered. Not my favorite interface, but nice functionality.

Secure or not, RBrowser is my FTP/SFTP/SSH client of choice. It allows editing files of any type remotely, not just text. The interface is its only con (began life as an NEXTstep app IIRC).

Get into the office, sit down at my desk, open up RBrowser and my day begins
  • Reply 25 of 32
    resres Posts: 711member
    I use BBEdit. I tried Dreamweaver and GoLive but found that I really preferred hand coding. Between the two I'd recommend Dreamweaver, I think it handled the code better then GoLive.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I use dreamweaver as my preference, though I had started off with GoLive...Dreamweaver seems to code better for all browsers, and I find the layout of palettes and tools to be more logical than GoLive. I probably work on 25-30 different websites a day so that is my input...
  • Reply 27 of 32
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Res

I use BBEdit. I tried Dreamweaver and GoLive but found that I really preferred hand coding. Between the two I'd recommend Dreamweaver, I think it handled the code better then GoLive.

None of the two will touch your code if you write it externally, and import it...
  • Reply 28 of 32
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    BBedit, for 8 years now. And I still keep using it. I fire up Dreamweaver MX2004 once in a while -wich is a good tool- but I'm always annoyed within 5 minutes to what it does in (and sometimes with) my code. But that's because BBedit'ers are used to total control.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Are you BBedit users telling me I need to learn to code HTML? If so, any suggestions on the best way to go about this? I'm not disinterested, but I am clueless about writing code. Books? Courses?

And can some of you list some websites written with these programs? I'd love to see the sites written using specific software. I don't do anything fancy. My own stuff is very text oriented without tons of frills (ie. my website )

Thanks for all the feedback so far. It's been helpful. FUSION will work with Virtual PC so I may stick with that until I can decide what to do. In the meantime, it appears I should be learning to write HTML.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    math-suxmath-sux Posts: 11member
    I've been a web designer/developer for almost 10 years and use Dreamweaver. I'm a hand coder and like that Dreamweaver gives me a visual idea of what's going on with the split code/design view. Code coloring is also a godsend over just a plain black text for differentiating between tags. The built-in FTP and site management features are real time savers.

As far as learning HTML or any other web language, some of the best tools are free! Dreamweaver comes with a quick start guide & some good tutorials. There are numerous websites that offer free tutorials (i.e. http://www.dmxzone.com/). As for books I like the desk reference variety over the "learn XXX in 21 days". The Dreamweaver Bible is a pretty good general DW book.

If your initial goal is to start with a basic website, the quick start & Macromedia supplied tutorial should easily have you up and running within a weekend. Dreamweaver has many built-in and downloadable extensions that allow creation of pages with point-click / Drag-drop simplicity. If you use the split view, you can see what code is being adding and where. This can also be a very valuable learning tool.

Dreamweaver, GoLive, and most others offer free 30 trial versions.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    belvaderebelvadere Posts: 18member
    Thanks Math-Sux (I agree with you, by the way. Math does suck, except when there is a dollar sign involved.).

I'm a pretty quick learner, but can't say that hand coding strikes my fancy. Most everybody I talk with thinks Dreamweaver is the way to go, even if it is overkill for a lot of people.

I'm not into all the fluff that I find slow loading, even though more and more of us are using broadband. Flash and other stuff is not appealing to me, so those features are of no interest to me (yet).

It's like anything else, you get comfortable with whatever you've been using. Fusion is something I've worked in for over 4 years, so learning anything new will be cumbersome for awhile. My goal is to set about to learn a program worth learning so I can stick with it for a period of time. I don't like to fiddle with the latest software simply because it's the newest thing out there. I'd rather learn the nuances of a program that will do what I need, and keep learning to use it more effectively over time. (I might be wrong in that approach, but I'm not big on investing in all the newest software just so I can say I have it.)

Thanks, again.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Dreamweaver is a good call, especially for beginners learning html (it does all the work for you, but you can peep the html too).

BBedit is useful for things like PHP, due to syntax highlighting. I'll have to look into emacs (*shudder*).