Hardware / Software Blitz in 2003 ?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by JCG:

<strong>

It has been close to a year since the last update. New Toshiba HD's will probably be coming out, reducing the cost of the current ones, so a HS increase would be expected and or a price cut. Also, the competiton is adopting a number of the features that set the iPod apart from the pack, so it would be a good time for Apple to add some features to the iPod as well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

didn't they get updated at MWNY?
  • Reply 42 of 63
    I think if the iPod gets an update soon (which is very well possible) it will probably be on the software side. Maybe increased funtionality to go with iTunes 4. As far as the hardware side of it goes, im not so sure anything else is needed at the moment. Maybe some price cuts, thats about it.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

didn't they get updated at MWNY?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was thinking that they were updated last winte or spring,,,though I'm not positive becouse Its not a device that I'm that interested in for personal use.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    They iPod could use a nice voice recorder, something built-in with good noise cancelling to take voice directly to MP3, and a line-in for a good mic to take sound directly to AIFF or slightly better. For me, I'd love an MP3 voice recorder, musicians might like a blend of DAT and iPod?
  • Reply 45 of 63
    Expect the eMac to emerge in the new year with a slightly smaller sleeker case and more chrome accents.

A similar cosmetic update to the iMac with price drops on the 17" models, 15" on the bottem end only. Processor speeds? faster i guess 867, 1000 like the powerbooks maybe radeon graphics too.

[ 12-05-2002: Message edited by: I-bent-my-wookie ]</p>
  • Reply 46 of 63
    I really dont see a form change for the emac in 03'. I'd expect signifigant speed increases and maybe fix that nasty bug that only lets around 40% (give or take) of the people who bought one to see the entire screen.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    [quote]Originally posted by Miami Craig:

<strong>I really dont see a form change for the emac in 03'. I'd expect signifigant speed increases and maybe fix that nasty bug that only lets around 40% (give or take) of the people who bought one to see the entire screen. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Don't think of it as a bug. Think of it as a way of reducing excess screen space.

• Reply 48 of 63
    I agree about the emac. It's due for an update, but i wouldn't expect a form change. Its the most recent design next to the new Powermacs (which are really the 2nd oldest form factor next to the CRT imac).

I still believe starting with the keynote on the 7th and leading upto halfway through the year with the intro of the G5's, its gonna be a crazy storm of updates and new products.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    Agreed. 2003 looks bright
  • Reply 50 of 63
    Er. This thread.

I really don't see there being a 'Blitz' in 2003.

EVEN THOUGHT I THINK APPLE ARE AT THE POINT RIGHT NOW WHERE THEY NEED ONE!!!

Apple are poised to reap the rewards of the Switch campaign, cheap and well featured portables, a stunning iMac desktop and superb OS and digitable hub ifreebies.

Great.

However, where the hell is the advertising blitz for 'X' on the scale of '95 by M$?

If they want people to 'Switch' they need to put some ad' muscle behind this. Blanket bombing tv/print and national press ad's INTERNATIONALLY!

They need to show the machines in the ads.

The OS in the Ads and...

The digital hub/software in the ads.

And a slot demystifying the bladdy thing.

Apple needs to advertise and stop with the eclectic vagueries.

They shouldn't be selling a machine with less than a gig. You can't get a 1 gig x86 machine.

Duh.

A damn flat iMac under £999 inc VAT UK prices.

A cheap pizza box iCube-slab to sell to edu' so you can hook up to ANY monitor.

A colour iPod/iPhoto friend. An iPhone to go with their iSync.

A 970 as SOON as possible!

A decent bus speed on all their machines.

Buy a 3D app, eg Xsi 3 to compliment their 'Shake' high-end strategy.

An iOffice to take on W*nker Soft, sorry, M$.

iConferencing.

An app' to manage cell-phone stuff.

A high end graphics card in their top 'power'Mac.

eg Wildcat.

2002, Apple were going to 'innovate' its way out of a recession and ended up with a 'loss' in its last quarter.

They need 1997 style momentum AGAIN to try and shift the crushing slide of market momentum. Apple are shrinking relative to the whole market. They need more than a 'Switch' campaign.

They really DO need to innovate out of this recession.

Actions speak louder than words, Mr. Jobs. Aside from the iMac flat? 2002 was all talk.

Lemon Bon Bon :cool:
  • Reply 51 of 63
    [quote]Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon:

<strong>Er. This thread.

I really don't see there being a 'Blitz' in 2003.

EVEN THOUGHT I THINK APPLE ARE AT THE POINT RIGHT NOW WHERE THEY NEED ONE!!!

Actions speak louder than words, Mr. Jobs. Aside from the iMac flat? 2002 was all talk.

Lemon Bon Bon :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

I kind of thought 10.2 was a rather big development. 2002 was a big year for Apple and 2003 has much potential especially if Apple can duplicate the iPod success.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    [quote]Originally posted by TommyBrando:

<strong>Doesn't it seem like starting in early 2003 (macworld) that apple is going to begin a blitz of product anouncements? Besides the portable lines (iBook and TiBook), it seems that a ton of things are due in january or shortly there after as far as hardware and software goes.

Hardware:

Xserve update

Xserve RAID

Powermac update

iPod update

iMac update

eMac update

Display line update

Airport update

New portable device? (i dont personally think there will be but alot of you guys seem to think there will be)

Software

iMovie update

iPhoto update

iDVD update

iTunes update

iSync GM

Final Cut Pro update

(appleworks is long overdue for an update but who knows what apple's plans are with it)

Even if apple only manages to get HALF of these out the door in early 03' (which i think its most likely they will), it still looking like an exciting start for the new year. And MWSF looks like it will be fun . Apologies if this wrong forum because of the inclusion of the software part of it.

-tommy

[edit: spelling, im sure i still didnt catch all of it]

[ 11-22-2002: Message edited by: TommyBrando ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, if you believe Steve Jobs, then it is going to be the biggest year ever for Apple. I think that is mostly refering to the iPhone...

Apple even says in the latest Cnet article that Cell Phones are taking on PDA qualities, and its the Cell Phone which will win the battle... Cell Phones are the thing people are issued by their corporation, Cell phones are the things that are replaced every 1-2 years... Cell Phone, Cell Phones, Cell Phones...

Oh yeah, some other great things are going to happen in 2003, but it really doesn't matter if it happens in January, August, or November... This is going to be a year not to miss, if you believe Apple.

Here's the Cnet Link:

"We believe this (cell phone and iSync strategy) replaces the PDA," Apple's Schiller said. "The cell phone becomes your PDA." (Cnet, Paragraph 26)

<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-978408.html?tag=lh"; target="_blank">http://news.com.com/2100-1040-978408.html?tag=lh</a>;

Another reason to focus on cell phones for synchronization with PCs is that consumers and businesses typically replace cell phones more quickly than PCs. On top of that, manufacturers are rapidly adding newer, PC-like features to phones. (Cnet, Paragraph 28)

My only point is, all of those things are coming, but don't expect everything in MWSF, 2003 is a big year, things will come out as they are ready.
  • Reply 53 of 63
    I aree completely that Displays and AirPort are LONG overdue for a change. If nothing else, pricing is WAY out of line with industry standard for both.

As for a PowerMac update, I wish! I seriously don't think Moto is delivering the goods so that Apple can introduce better towers. I have been waiting to buy a new Power Mac for around a year, but the last refresh was so dismal in terms of price and performance, I have decided to stick it out with my Biege G3. As much as I want kick ass towers, I don't think Motorola can deliver, and I don't think IBM is shipping the 970.... I think summer is a more realistic expectation for the new Power Macs.

As the 1 year-no-speed-bumb fiasco has taught us, Apple apparently feels no shame in keeping a comptuer at the same processor speed for an entire year. Sheesh! They could at least double the RAM after 6 months, OS X being Unix and all.

So MWSF or early 2003 should bring us a new iMac. Nothing else. Notebooks were updated too recently.

As cool as the new iMac really is (I love the look) and the iPods are all sweet, but 2002 was so unimpressive that at this point Apple could utterly wow my with a two-button scroll-wheel mouse. You know it's a sad, sad day when Apple making something PC's have had for years is impressive.

All I can say is that I really hope things fall into line later in 2003. I hope so!
  • Reply 54 of 63
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>how exactly is the iPod so in need of a hardware update?</strong><hr></blockquote>

A software update would be nice. It needs to be able to playback the new audio format from MPEG-4. Also, a nicer ability to view text would be helpful as opposed to the v-card hack.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Apple has a hardware/software blitz EVERY YEAR. They make cool products, about 3/4 of their products have a major update each year.

It's normal for Apple, not normal for other tech companies.

Barto
  • Reply 56 of 63
    This is an interesting thread. I do suppose its possible for a software/hardware blitz early next year. Apple could use it too
  • Reply 57 of 63
    Hey, when im right, im right.

The keynote yesterday was a freaking software blitz and a half, and the powerbook announcements were HUGE. :eek:

And if you consider the fact that we're due for eMac/imac/powermac/ipod updates in the not-so-distant future, i'd pretty much say that this January/Feb/March period is a huge software/hardware blitz from apple.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    GOD DAMN that keynote was sick. You were right, you knew it would be packed.

[quote] Hardware:

Xserve update

Xserve RAID

Powermac update

iPod update

iMac update

eMac update

Display line update

Airport update

New portable device? (i dont personally think there will be but alot of you guys seem to think there will be)

Software:

iMovie update

iPhoto update

iDVD update

iTunes update

iSync GM

Final Cut Pro update

(appleworks is long overdue for an update but who knows what apple's plans are with it)<hr></blockquote>

Xserve:soon

Xserve RAID: soon

Powermac: soon

iPod: soon

iMac: really soon

eMac: soon

Display Line: jury is out on that one

Airport: yep

new portable device: none to be seen

iMovie: yep

iDVD: yep

iPhoto: yep

iTunes: kinda, features we didnt know there was

iSync GM: yep

Final Cut Pro: pretty much yep (final cut express)

Appleworks: not yet

Keep it come with the blitz!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 59 of 63
    [edit] whoops double post

[ 01-11-2003: Message edited by: Miami Craig ]</p>
  • Reply 60 of 63
    Okay. I was wrong (frame it...) on there not being a software/hardware blitz. Jobs took me out in one keynote.

Still, I stand by alot of the suggestions in my post that would help broaden Apple's appeal in many segments and massage their bottom line.

"I aree completely that Displays and AirPort are LONG overdue for a change. If nothing else, pricing is WAY out of line with industry standard for both."

I'd say. Walked into Gordy Harwoods Apple retailer the other day. Saw the Formac displays. They're handing out a performance/price spanking to the Apple display line...AND, get this, LOOK more like Ives designed THEM! (The Formacs are NOT done justice by the Pics in the adverts...)

Lemon Bon Bon