Suggestions for buying the eMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I may be getting the eMac this weekend for my father-in-law.

Can anyone give me the comparisons between the eMac and a comparable Dell system?

I want to get the eMac b/c it's compact and of course OS X will make it easy to troubleshoot...hahahaha...ease of use...I ran some pricing on the Dell and it came out to be more...thne I counted in the headaches of running updates and troubleshooting etc....

would like to hear other people's views on this...

thanks!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    the eMac should be a very good machine for your dad. If you have an apple store nearby i would tote him down to it and have him choose a computer he likes. But yeah, the eMac will do everything he needs to do and more
  • Reply 2 of 17
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I would wait until the next eMac. The current eMac doesn't support key Tiger technologies.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    When's the next eMac coming out?

I don't think my father in law really cares about the next upgrade...aslong as it works..all will be cool..
  • Reply 4 of 17
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

I would wait until the next eMac. The current eMac doesn't support key Tiger technologies.

which key technologies? having a g5? cause that is a long ways off
  • Reply 5 of 17
    How's the reliabiltiy?? Anyonehave any complaints about the eMac?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Forget the Dell with its viruses,spyware,addware,etc... If your father wants a machine he can plug in and use with no hassle there isnt anything better then Emac it has the tone down version of the monitor in my 17 studio display. No dead pixels to worry about. now if he want to game thats another story but if he just needs a great do everything computer Emac comes with everything built into the OS, iphoto,imovie,itunes,etc etc. and it all just works that why we love our Macs. I cant think of a better choice in the under $1000 category. good luck
  • Reply 7 of 17
    republicrepublic Posts: 168member
    Existence is referring to his/her thread here. Here.

I say go for it. If I were buying a desktop, I'd seriously consider the eMac. And I did, too, but notebooks proved to be useful. If you think your father in law is willing, consider the iBook G4, in either 12 or 14-inch sizes. If cost makes you drop it, it's fine too; he should be pleased with an eMac.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

How's the reliabiltiy?? Anyonehave any complaints about the eMac?

There have been some problems in the past with the video subsystem, particularly the "raster shift" problem. I don't know if current eMacs are afflicted by this or not; you're best off doing some searches in the Apple forums and elsewhere looking for reports.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Well, today my father in law bought the eMac with the $89 hp printer wit hthe $89 rebate.

We went to CompUSA and were ready to buy it there then the Apple dude there said they were out of stock. Heheheh...Even though the guy took our name down I already knew we were headed for the Apple store anyway.

so we called the Apple store on the way to make sure they had them and of course! they had them in stock. We get there and buy it and we're on our way home.

I take it out of the box, plug it in and voila!! It's working right out of the box. No installing. No error messages (like I had when I first set up my Dell machine some three years ago AND had to get the monitor that came with it replaced TWICE before I ended up returning the monitor and buying one on my own).

Needless to say the eMac is nice and small, a little heavy but no big deal, I was hungry. It fit perfectly in my father in law's desk. He's never used a computer before so it 'll take some time to get used to but I'm not worried about that.

I should be a salesperson for Apple for the way I talked it up for months!! hahahaha...

My next project, justifying me getting the G5.....
  • Reply 10 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I would stay away from the eMac, even if AIO's are your thing. At least wait untill it gets an LCD. Your eyes will thank you.

Apple was so unbelievably cheap in sourcing that tube. They didn't even get a trinitron based tube, so now, eMacs are saddled with a horrible moire problem.

You may not notice it at first, but invariably you'll have some background color or image on your screen that brings it out. After that, you'll never NOT notice it again. You'll try to adjust it away, but that just chnges it, never eliminates it.

Awful awful awful choice of CRT, especially for a AIO unit.

What can I say, you should have waited...
  • Reply 11 of 17
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    I think your father in law will be very happy with his purchase. It's an excellent first computer!
  • Reply 12 of 17
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I would stay away from the eMac, even if AIO's are your thing. At least wait untill it gets an LCD. Your eyes will thank you.

Apple was so unbelievably cheap in sourcing that tube. They didn't even get a trinitron based tube, so now, eMacs are saddled with a horrible moire problem.

You may not notice it at first, but invariably you'll have some background color or image on your screen that brings it out. After that, you'll never NOT notice it again. You'll try to adjust it away, but that just chnges it, never eliminates it.

Awful awful awful choice of CRT, especially for a AIO unit.

What can I say, you should have waited...

I own two fairly recent eMacs (1 GHz, Radeon 7500 32 MB) and haven't had your experience. I have *very* occasionally noticed Moire patterns, but they're certainly not any more frequent than on other consumer monitors, even Trinitron-based units, on regular applications or while playing DVDs.

As a matter of fact, I've had a lot of PC users (with up to date monitors) come by and see one of the eMacs, and their first comment is invariably about how nice the display is. And the 80+ Hz refresh rates at common resolutions are generally equal to or better than low-end PC monitors. A Moire-free display at 72 Hz makes me nauseous (literally).

An eMac LCD would be a poor choice for the education market unless it came with a display shield that would probably cause a different set of visual issues. Plus, users would lose the choice of multiple native resolutions. Try running 640x480 or 800x600 native resolution educational software on a 1024x768 LCD. Moire would be the least of your problems!
  • Reply 13 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There's no need to run multiple resolutions. Even the most piddling notebook graphics have no problem with 1024x768 or 1280x800 level graphics.

Also, there is no established preference for CRT's in education. If anything, schools are moving away from it. I know of a few local school boards that MUST purchase LCD's (since early '02) as a matter of health and safety.

In post secondary there is no question at all. My university is an excellent example. Every single new machine comes with either a 15" (the majority) or 17" (faculty and staff) LCD. The only NEW CRT based machines, ironically, are the 70 eMacs they put into a couple of new labs (2 years ago). If Apple had had an LCD machine for a decent price, that's what would have been purchased and deployed. The machines were purchased and deployed to keep some depts (faculty and students) happy, but even in their CRT form they cost more than 15" LCD Dell bundles the school has been running -- quite trouble free, I might add. I might also add, that in my very first year (9 years ago, as a student), easily, three quarters of all the machines were Macs. Today they furnish a lab of 500-600 seats, and 70 are Macs. I wonder why.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    jhazeljhazel Posts: 28member
    Sounds like Matsu has had some bad experiences. Fortunately, I don't think they are reflective of the markets' experience. I know several schools that have deployed the eMacs and are very happy with them. Also, we bought one for our grandmother a couple years ago and it has ran wonderfully. Not even a glitch; she loves it! Your father-in-law will be very happy.

Matsu, what university do you work at? That's interesting to hear of a university deploying eMacs. Is it a community college? Most universities, even ones on shoestring budgets (which ones aren't right?), will at a minimum deploy the iMac but usually roll out the PowerMacs. Being there's only a few hundred dollars difference between the eMac and the iMac, I can't believe the university opted for the e over the i. For space purposes alone they should have gone with the i. I also can't believe they found "comparable" Dells with LCDs that were less than the i. Yes, I know you can get a $400 or $600 Dell...but they are far from comparable and if a university is deploying those type machines...they've got bigger problems than just bad technology decisions.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    My plan is almost complete.

Now if I can just find a job that uses Mac's I'll be free from the PC menace for a good while. hmhmhmhmhmhmhmhmhm...
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I have had an eMac since November and it has worked flawlessly and I use it a lot. Its really versatile, easy to move. right now its in my bedroom acting as a DVD player, sometimes i move it to the dining room. I have a wireless network so when i move it all i have to do is find a place to plug it in. no other cords beside keyboard, mouse. I can heartily recommend an eMac.

Quote:

Originally posted by jginsbu

There have been some problems in the past with the video subsystem, particularly the "raster shift" problem. I don't know if current eMacs are afflicted by this or not; you're best off doing some searches in the Apple forums and elsewhere looking for reports.

• Reply 17 of 17
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Matsu must work in a CA university. They have no kinda budget.

I was at WWDC this year and talked to a couple of University people (students & profs). They all said that their universities had moved away from Macs over the years mainly because they could not afford to buy Macs anymore.

All the 'feature' and ease of use stuff sounds good to us, but when it gets to the VP/Dean/Directors office, it looks superflous and high cost, and hence Macs are usually not chosen. Obviously not the best way to make decisions, but that's just the way it is for now.

-M