iMovie 5?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With the recent preview of Tiger and the new QT codec, as well as Core Image technology etc...Apple has the tools in place to make the next iteration of iMovie a truly revolutionarily, easy to use, yet powerful consumer editing application.

Final Cut Express is still a relatively difficult user interface to master for most people, with iMovie still being a hobbyist's first choice, iMovie 5 must get better. Hobbyists (like myself) want more power but simple, and easy to comprehend ways of doing complex tasks. We want professional looking video but we don't want to spend professional amounts of time to get our video to look like the way we imagine it.

iMovie 5 should include a whole, vast array of new effects and tools to use to edit video and text. The CoreImage technology looks like it could really beef up not only iMovie but also iPhoto and even iDVD (for menu creation). Apple should also focus on dumbing down Motion, and taking some of those technologies and principles and implanting them into the next iMovie. Also, the way iChat has been able to make multiple people video conferencing a reality, while having that 3d windowed look-is just awesome. Apple needs to make "multiple, but separate shots at once" a simple possibility in iMovie.

iMovie still stands as the simplest, most fun, and fastest way to edit video and make it reasonably good looking. There are many improvements that could be made to it, however. Apple could take iMovie and make hard to do effects and looks come to life in easy and quick ways. Apple could make editing photos in iPhoto very fun and versatile. Apple could make DVD menu creation for the rest of us, even easier than it has ever been done before, and this is all thanks to the new tech in Tiger and in Motion and Quicktime.

I can't wait for the next iLife update in January, I'm sure the Apple software engineers are working on it at a feverish pace. Steve is probably ripping out power cords left and right!

What else do you want, what do you think about what I have said?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,424member
    Core Image/Video will make the largest impact in iMovie IMO. Speed is something that iMovie isn't really optimized for Tiger should bring that speed back to good levels.

AVC/h.264 will be useful for saving your video. It will require some number crunching to compress but the file size will be pretty small and the quality pretty high.

I think Apple could easily add a few "behaviors" for motion text in iMovie. Perhaps Garageband 2 will be able to take your iMovie and allow you to score the iMovie using Apple Loop technology.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    isnt it also safe to assume however, that core image could easily make its way into iPhoto as well?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Probably!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Keep in mind that Core Image and Video will have some pretty tough requirements. Might not make it down to the home users who are not even on Jaguar yet...but maybe it can be made to scale gracefully/drop features on older systems?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Hmm. Will all this core stuff benefit more than what is shown on your screen? Can you use it to make the GPU manipulate pictures and THEN save it? I only thought GPUs worked one way, to the screen.

Will someone clarify this for me.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Hmm. Will all this core stuff benefit more than what is shown on your screen? Can you use it to make the GPU manipulate pictures and THEN save it? I only thought GPUs worked one way, to the screen.

Will someone clarify this for me.

Yes. For instance when you're working in Motion you're basically previewing but once you are happy with the results you simply save and the effects are written to the file. Easy greasy.

I truly believe that once Tiger ships the use of Core Image will be so prevalent users will find the OS scaling quickly in many functions depending on what GPU they get. Consumers shouldn't have any problems since the added benefits of a GPU now affect the OS itself and not just during gaming. A win/win.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    don't really know where to put this-

Apple is looking at the same industry as it was in 2001 with music-

imovie addition?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17122

with QT 7 it may be possible
  • Reply 8 of 11
    <sigh> unlike CD sales DVD sales are still climbing. I've never downloaded a movie on the internet. Even if a there was an iTunes Movie Store I wouldn't use it. I'm a movie buff. I like extras, I like having DTS. The MPAA is looking for an excuse. There's a big difference between downloading a 4MB mp3 and a 400MB divx file.

They will need to prepare though. AVC makes it possible to shrink movies down even better yet keep quality.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NittanyLionTosh

Final Cut Express is still a relatively difficult user interface to master for most people,

it shouldnt be--its really not that hard. people are jsut scared by the color gray. also, imovie is more than enough for someone (aka hobbyist, as you said) to make a really good video. its jsut a matter of knowing how to use imovie to its full potential.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I think iMovie 5 is gonna rock. They really don't have to add many features. Just squash bugs, drop in Core Image/Video add a bit more text features ala motion graphics style and you have a winner.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I think iMovie 5 is gonna rock. They really don't have to add many features. Just squash bugs, drop in Core Image/Video add a bit more text features ala motion graphics style and you have a winner.

The speed/responsiveness of the program needs to be improved as well. Final Cut Pro/Express is much faster.