connoisseurs of alcohol

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Oh yes.Time for that thread again.

Lets discuss the world of great alcohols. What do you consider the best of each category?

Vodka

Stolichnaya Gold. I know some people is of the opinion that vodka is supposed to taste strong but I differ. This vodka is so smooth you can drink it raw without it having to be pulled out from the freezer.

Gin

Bombay Sapphire.

Anyone know anything about Cachaca? Which brands to buy and which to avoid?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    The Brazilan's in Miami like Cachaca 51. I've never tasted in straight, but it's pretty good in a caipirinha.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    Vodka

42 Below

Gin

Tanq 10

Scotch

Lagavulin (or Glenmorangie Maltmans Reserve for those special occasions)

Bourbon

Bookers
  • Reply 3 of 29
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Lagavulin is by far my favorite scotch with Laphroaig coming in a close second.

As far as other liquors, I don't care since i don't drink it much.

It's pretty much Guinness or Lagavulin and nothing else for me.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Lets discuss the world of great alcohols. What do you consider the best of each category?

Tequila
    : Don Julio

(Edit) Beer: Bass.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

The Brazilan's in Miami like Cachaca 51. I've never tasted in straight, but it's pretty good in a caipirinha.

I like both caipirinhas and Cachaca 51. It's a great mix on certain occaisions.

Whiskey: Paddy's.

Vodka: Nikolai.

Beer: Pabst, or Pabst Extra Light.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Ale: Quail Springs IPA

Whiskey: Makers Mark
  • Reply 7 of 29
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    Beer: Warsteiner

I don't go for the harder stuff (except wine, if that's considered "harder").
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Beer: Warsteiner

I don't go for the harder stuff (except wine, if that's considered "harder").

I live near a mall with a little international deli that has Warsteiner on tap. Good stuff.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    I like cachaca.

Cachaca Ypioca is reputedly very good. The man in the exotic spirits and fine wines shop opposite my brother's house sold me a bottle of Toucano which was brilliant. There's another brand too I tried which was lovely and I can't remember the name, but I think it was made from organic sugar cane. It really ruled. I'll try and find the name. Better than 52 and Pitu anyways.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    LTNS Hassan. Thanks for the suggestions. I would love to know what the organic version is.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    Vodka:

daily drinking w/ mixed: Ketal One

drinking straight: Gray Goose

Teq: Don Julio

Single Malt: Oban

Beer: pass
  • Reply 12 of 29
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i'm mostly just a beer drinker, when we move to harder liquors, i generally take whatever everyon else is having (which, more often than not is soco+lime). but for beer, i can't stand something less than guinness. m' friends try all kinds of shit, but far too often there isn't a sufficient supply of guinness. heads are often cracked at such occassions.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Anders, I'm passing by the cachaca shop and I'll drop in this afternoon with the name of the stuff.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    It's called 'Samba & Cana'. It's not organic but it is made on a small scale by artisans rather than by the vat-load in a huge factory. Nice stuff.

A link with a picture of the bottle.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Hmm, I don't qualify as a conni but here are my two cents.

VODKA: Grey Goose. Smooth as silk at room temperature with no aftertaste. Followed closely by Stolichnaya Limonnaya for a different taste experience.

GIN: Bombay Sapphire

SCOTCH: The Macallan 18 year old. For the money, can't be beat. However, the art of Scotch(single malts...) distilling is so complex that it allows for a multitude of taste preferences.

TEQUILA: Casa Noble Reposado. I was just introduced to this wonderful concoction. Amazing! Kind of hard to come by but worth the effort.

AFTER DINNER: Green Chartreuse. Not for the mild or timid. Over cracked ice, incredible.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    Bourbon : Jim Beam. . . hands down, accept my mom poured most of it down the drain apon discovery. had to bitch her out for that one.

Vodka: Absolut, you have to consider the whole package, it may not taste the best, but you get to keep the bottle.

Beer: Local company. . Ithaca Beer Company? perhaps

Wine: Carlo Rossi . . .
  • Reply 17 of 29
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    NyQuil
  • Reply 18 of 29
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

NyQuil

Good call!
  • Reply 19 of 29
    concordconcord Posts: 312member
    Beer: There are a lot good microbreweries in the Vancouver region - Yaletown, Granville Island, Big River Brewing, etc. I usually have Guinness and Heiniken on hand as well.

Scotch: Glenmorangie, one that escapes me at the moment and Aboulour(sp?).

Wine: Hmmm, 1951 Penfolds Grange (kidding!). Usually can't go wrong with a Cedar Creek, Summerhill or a sweet Scherzinger Vineyards Late Harvest Chardonay.

Cheers,

C.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Vodka

Stolichnaya Gold. I know some people is of the opinion that vodka is supposed to taste strong but I differ. This vodka is so smooth you can drink it raw without it having to be pulled out from the freezer.

Vodka

Stoli Gold is awesome; it's easily my favorite vodka. I also just tried Stoli Elit. The bar tender warned me it wasn't that good and gave me a free taste. All I can say is don't bother. I think normal Stoli is better.

As for vodka tonics, Skyy is yummy.

Tequila

Right now my favorite is Herradura Anejo. There are some great tequilas out there though: Centenario Anejo, Corralejo Anejo, etc. Cazadores is a really good tequila for the price too. As for Patron, it's not my favorite. But try eating it with an orange...mmmmmm... Otherwise, I never drink tequila with limes and/or salt. Oh and for margaritas, Hornitos all the way. Anything better is a waste, but anything less will ruin your drink.

Scotch

I've only dabbled in this category. I love Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Glenmorangie, Macallan 25 (sooo f'n good), and Oban.

Bourbon

Makers Mark. It's like candy to me.