Upgrade to Panther now, or wait for Tiger?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was just about to order Panther at the Apple Store, and had the thought whether people who have Panther think it's worth upgrading now, or should I just wait till next year and get Tiger?

I am currently running 10.2.8, which has been rock solid on my iMac so far...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Get Panther.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Go for Panther.

But it's a hard choice...

\
  • Reply 3 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    are you kidding? panther is finally getting to a mature state (for it), and tiger is potentially a year away. and when tiger comes out, i guarantee there will be bugs not even apple saw coming. so buy panther now and enjoy...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    My roomates don't have Panther. i'm constantly hitting the wall when I say do xyz feature but then realizing they can't do it.

Seems like Disk Utility has always had the ability to make disk images for example. But no. Or Finder's use of ZIP for compression. Or Fast User Switching...damn...Panther is great.

There's no turning back.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    $85 on ebay. Sorta cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...106024476&rd=1

if you are a student i think you can get it for $69 or so though
  • Reply 6 of 16
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

$85 on ebay. Sorta cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...106024476&rd=1

if you are a student i think you can get it for $69 or so though

That is right. Thanks for the advice everyone, I will go ahead and get it on student discount, looks like it is worth it.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

That is right. Thanks for the advice everyone, I will go ahead and get it on student discount, looks like it is worth it.

yeah, plus the student copy is indistinguishable from a standard copy, with a full retail box and all. panther is nice, i'm sure you'll enjoy it. iLife '04 i would call a must-have as well. iPhoto 4 is awesome
  • Reply 8 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    OTOH, you could spend $99, get a one-year student developer account, get Panther as part of your first mailing, and if Tiger is released before it expires, you get that *TOO*.

It's the best deal around.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

OTOH, you could spend $99, get a one-year student developer account, get Panther as part of your first mailing, and if Tiger is released before it expires, you get that *TOO*.

but is he a developer?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Who the hell cares?

ANY student can get a developer account.

For $99 you get:

Current OS release, Xcode, a bunch of Dev CDs and a tshirt in your first mailing, then a CD every month with new dev stuff on it. Easily tossed if you don't care about it.

*AND* any OS release that happens during your one-year membership.

Time it right, and you can get 10.3 with your first mailing, and then 10.4 when it's released.

Both.

For $99.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Great advice Kickaha. Your brain is hung like a horse.

I just may do that myself.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

How do you sing up?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    <mode=smarmy_gameshow_announcer>

I'm glad you asked Bob!

http://developer.apple.com/students/

</mode>
  • Reply 14 of 16
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Quote:

<mode=smarmy_gameshow_announcer>

I'm glad you asked Bob!

http://developer.apple.com/students/

</mode>

Ok!! Now you have me green with envy!. That is a great deal to say the least.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Go use Jaguar and never look back
  • Reply 16 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Another bonus of the student ADC membership is a one time hardware discount. As a student member you may make one purchase through the Developer Purchase Program whereby you may save as much as 25% on a new system!

The $500 / year premier membership level usually includes a discount when you renew. But the student program only permits one discount ever. (Students who later upgrade are again eligible for discounts via the new membership level.)

I saved almost $800 when I bought my Ti 500 and, with ADC, I got other good stuff too. It payed off for Apple too as now I pay far more than $100 per year.