This Economy sure sucks!

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 214
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

Let's see... Every time there is bad economic news you gleefully report it and knee-jerkingly blame it on Bush.

If the shoe fits... as they say...

No.

I was pointing out something that deluded people ( no names please ) refused to see.

I've never wanted it that way.

SDW made up this silly idea that I wanted the economy to be bad ( how stupid I have to buy bread too ) so that Bush would lose the next election.

Well now the economy's better ( close to the election ) but it still won't save him. There are just too many other issues with Bush.

So if the economy stays this way I guess it's a win, win situation.
  • Reply 202 of 214
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    The fed will be slowly raising interest rates for some time and taxes will need to be raised within the next two years. Out of the two markets I have personal contact with, financial jobs are only recently starting to open up while universities are still impossible. We can't expect another boom like the 90s, so at best we are looking at a gradual and precarious rise that could fall apart if mistakes are made. SDW, your statements on the economic health of the US seem like they are just collages of headlines devoid of any historical or international context. Making empty talking point statements like "the economy is strong in nearly all areas" really doesn't serve any function except to attempot to foster argument. It's your money, so if you don't want to take it seriously or be objective about it, it's utimately your problem, not mine.
  • Reply 203 of 214
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/02/news...june/index.htm

Like a bad penny.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/02/mark...mpty/index.htm

There's a link for a half full opinion but I think ( given the job market ) half empty is more realistic.

It's not that I want it to be this way. I just knew all I had to was wait awhile and I'd see this sort of thing again.

Not the sign of a fully recovered economy.
  • Reply 204 of 214
    naplesxnaplesx Posts: 3,743member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

Like a bad penny.

There's a link for a half full opinion but I think ( given the job market ) half empty is more realistic.

It's not that I want it to be this way. I just knew all I had to was wait awhile and I'd see this sort of thing again.

There's that gleeful reporting again.

Good job.
  • Reply 205 of 214
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

Like a bad penny.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/02/mark...full/index.htm
  • Reply 206 of 214
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    You know, naples, I actually had a conversation with my in laws and some friends last night specifically about naples, fl. One of our friends was stuck in naples with for her husband's job, but recently moved back. I've never been there, but everyone agreed that it was like another universe where everyone was over 80. Long story short, the woman moved back here because she started losing her shit in such a strange place.

The point? At my workplace, there are consistently between 100 and 150 applicants for every job. The most shocking part is the number of people with advanced degrees applying for jobs that were far below their qualifications, to the point that some empty positions are being upgraded from staff to professional without a change in responsibilities and little change in pay.

From what I heard about naples last night from two people that lived there for the past 3 or 4 years and 3 people that have visited there, is that it is not at all in line with the rest of the country (well, they said universe). As they put it, because their are so few young (70 or younger) people in the area, jobs are far easier to get than just about anywhere else. In fact, that was one of the more significant issues with the move from naples.

So reading your sarcastic post about jobs leaves me to wonder if you just don't have a totally skewed view of the job market. After all, and I mean this in the most respectful way, some one at your skill level would never be able to get a computer job of any sort up here. For example, just for IT support jobs at my work we frequently get a couple hundred applications (when a job opens up, which has been very rare in the past couple years), and many, many of the applicants have advanced degrees and/or certifications on top of decade(s) of experience.

However, this is all anecdotal. We'll have to see what happens with the job market. Personally, I don't get so worked up over month to month anything, but I also think it's pretty dumb to fall on the old "liberal media" conspiracy theory to justify sticking your head in the sand at fox news beach.
  • Reply 207 of 214
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Nice of you to post "The Glass Is Half Full" and not the retort "The Glass Is Half Empty".

• Reply 208 of 214
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

You know, naples, I actually had a conversation with my in laws and some friends last night specifically about naples, fl. One of our friends was stuck in naples with for her husband's job, but recently moved back. I've never been there, but everyone agreed that it was like another universe where everyone was over 80. Long story short, the woman moved back here because she started losing her shit in such a strange place.

The point? At my workplace, there are consistently between 100 and 150 applicants for every job. The most shocking part is the number of people with advanced degrees applying for jobs that were far below their qualifications, to the point that some empty positions are being upgraded from staff to professional without a change in responsibilities and little change in pay.

From what I heard about naples last night from two people that lived there for the past 3 or 4 years and 3 people that have visited there, is that it is not at all in line with the rest of the country (well, they said universe). As they put it, because their are so few young (70 or younger) people in the area, jobs are far easier to get than just about anywhere else. In fact, that was one of the more significant issues with the move from naples.

So reading your sarcastic post about jobs leaves me to wonder if you just don't have a totally skewed view of the job market. After all, and I mean this in the most respectful way, some one at your skill level would never be able to get a computer job of any sort up here. For example, just for IT support jobs at my work we frequently get a couple hundred applications (when a job opens up, which has been very rare in the past couple years), and many, many of the applicants have advanced degrees and/or certifications on top of decade(s) of experience.

However, this is all anecdotal. We'll have to see what happens with the job market. Personally, I don't get so worked up over month to month anything, but I also think it's pretty dumb to fall on the old "liberal media" conspiracy theory to justify sticking your head in the sand at fox news beach.

Well I have lived here for 6 years and your sources are only partially right. There is a large percentage of retired people. But that population is mostly gone for the summer. The economy here is a tourist economy. As you might imagine, the retired population for the most part does not work. The younger crowd 45 and under fills most of the jobs. There is despite your source's info a large and growing population of 20's and 30's.

This area was not typically a high tech haven, I will give you that. But there are some high tech companies that reside in this area, attracted by the low taxes and general year round good weather:

http://www.smartdisk.com/contact.asp who just recently moved from Naples to nearby Ft. Myers. I've had several contacts with this company throughout the years.

And of course there are large corporations that have their headquarters here for the same reasons:

EZON Inc. This is a regional property management company however the owner also owns ands manages the country's largest Memphis based auto parts supplier from the same headquarters. I have had extensive dealings with both companies.

Of course I could go on and on but that would be boring for both of us. What I hope that it would show is that I know the area in which I live, and that you may be well to rely on current sources rather than ones that would cut and run.

I have recently been hired by a local IT company based on my reputation and ability. They approached me, not the other way around. Not, mind you on my web design ability, limited that it may be. You may find mention of it if you peruse the pages of Apple's site. They sometimes do write-ups of small companies that use their technology.

For someone that proclaims to be so much smarter than everyone, you make the common mistake of ASSuming a lot of things. Just like you assume that I make my entire living from designing web sites.

You are quite an entertaining character.
  • Reply 209 of 214
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by faust9

Nice of you to post "The Glass Is Half Full" and not the retort "The Glass Is Half Empty".

Faust, you are jumping to conclusions a bit. Jimmac already posted the half empty link and also made note of the half full link. All Naples did was provide the link to what Jimmac mentioned.

Nick
  • Reply 210 of 214
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaplesX

ASSuming

I have seen this before so it may be unfair to pick you from the crowd but:

Please come with a good explanation for spelling it like that or refrain from doing it in the future.

The use of comments like that does nothing positive to the debate culture so it will not be tolerated in the future.
  • Reply 211 of 214
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Faust, you are jumping to conclusions a bit. Jimmac already posted the half empty link and also made note of the half full link. All Naples did was provide the link to what Jimmac mentioned.

Nick

Sorry, I missed that. 1 too many today I guess.
  • Reply 212 of 214
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Please come with a good explanation for spelling it like that or refrain from doing it in the future.

The use of comments like that does nothing positive to the debate culture so it will not be tolerated in the future.

Maybe you should read giant's reply a little more carefully. Considering that giant told him he was totally uninformed about the job market WHERE NAPLESX actually LIVES based off hearsay from those financial giant experts, the in-laws...and that his perception of reality is basically skewed.

For good measure he also told Naples he was unskilled, unemployable as well.

You are welcome to show me how telling someone they are delusional, unskilled and unemployable (all personal insults in my view) contributes to a culture of debate around here.

But then again, it could just be that you are use to how giant insults everyone.

Nick
  • Reply 213 of 214
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Come on.

ASS U ME

Did your mother or grandmother never give you that one?

It is widely known that Giant likes to personally attack those he doesn't agree with. He has chosen me as his latest target and takes every opportunity to attack.

He is an ASS for assuming he knows everything, not to mention his well documented tactics.

I guess it is OK the way he conducts himself while on these boards. Although I try to avoid confrontations, I cannot promise that I will not takes some jabs back as long as he decides to attack me.
  • Reply 214 of 214
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I think this thread has run its course. People are just restating their positions and slighting one another in the process, and I'm not going to wait for it go further down the crapper.