Hoping new pro G5's bring a pro mouse/keyboard

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    to get this thread back on topic, I agree that the current apple mouse and KB dont fit stylistically, Im nearly positave that the new imac will be niether AL or white plastic, i thus am convincad that apple will realese new mice and KBs with the imacs, they will fit in with the style, but dont expect more than 1 button.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    kung fu guykung fu guy Posts: 158member
    I want a new keyboard too! But apple will never do it just to match the g5 or new imac. I doubt apple would have 2 keyboard lines either. We've been given the black and white keyboard for the g4 and g5. Both of which never matched their respective machines. I wish more manufacturers supported the mac so we'd have more choice. Macally makes a nice keyboard. I'm also tempted to buy the older bevelled white keyboard. I can't stand logitech. Too pcish. They feel like lego bricks.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I just dragged out my old Apple Extended Keyboard (II?) and it feels so much better than my white iMac keyboard (although, the first FP iMac model I have is at least better than the current ones).

There are probably ADB to USB adapters, but what's the point when so much of the iMac's appeal is the overall matching design aethetic.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    concordconcord Posts: 312member

*snif*

I miss you...

C.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I remember I had one of those keyboards and found it stiff and awkward to type on at first. I remember needing some time to adjust to it.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    The Apple Extended used Alps steel key switches, not the spongy membranes found on most keyboards sold today. Try the Matias Tactile Pro, it looks like a last-gen white Apple Pro (meaning parallel USB sockets and the ability to adjust height).

Also has extended characters printed on keys. The K key has the Apple and degree symbol on them. Power button comes on top too, and works (on Panther)

Reviewers have said it is louder then the old Extended but feels better then anything you would find today, and I agree. Picked it up for $75 at OWC, wish Apple would make a pro keyboard with Alps switches, aluminum, backlit and all.

(Additional shots of the Tactile Pro can be found in their press section)
  • Reply 47 of 48
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

Whats wrong with the keyboard? I like Apple's offering.

The mouse on the other hand is silly. I don't see how anyone can use OSX w/o a right-click. Apple needs to get over their philosophical problems with this reality. They have created an operating system that heavily relies on the rt-click. why force you users to reach for the keyboard when they want to access context. menus.

Agree with you on the mouse, disagree with you on the KB. I'm a programmer and spend a lot of my time on the top special keys, I need an adjustable flat keyboard... a raised keyboard isn't sufficient. Their old keyboard was WAY better. In fact I'm thinking of trading my bosses eMac adjustable keyboard with my new dual 2.5 kb when I get it. I just can't handle lifting my fingers that high, it is too hard on my wrists.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xterra48

to get this thread back on topic, I agree that the current apple mouse and KB dont fit stylistically, Im nearly positave that the new imac will be niether AL or white plastic, i thus am convincad that apple will realese new mice and KBs with the imacs, they will fit in with the style, but dont expect more than 1 button.

Agreed. 1 button mouse, but new styles soon, hopefully apple brings back adjustable kb's... it is hurting my hands too much and I'm not about to pay 120 dollars for one of those protouch keyboards.