Apple Care

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sup Ya'll...

Do you think apple care is a neccesity? I know it extends your warranty by two years, but how often do powerbooks break down?

Does anyone have apple care stories they'd like to share (good or bad)?

Thanks!

Wes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    I'm actually in the middle of an AppleCare experience. After owning my new powerbook for 20 days, i was fixing a cable, then moved my hands over the keyboard only to catch the side of my '1' key and pop it off. I called apple, they sent me a box for the mail in service the next day, and 24 hours after that it was ready to be sent back. i called to have them look at a couple more things though, so they held it and i'll be getting it tuesday b/c of the holiday. ANyways, i was very impressed. for something like a powerbook, definitley get it.

edit: while this case is still under the typical 90 day warranty, this is what you get for 2 or 3 years (whatever it is)
  • Reply 2 of 19
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    The hinge just broke on my PowerBook G4 (which was a replacement for my PowerBook G3). If I had not had AppleCare, it would have been a very expensive fix.

I won't go into my PowerBook G3 story again, but I can't stress how important it is to get the AppleCare extended warranty, especially on a laptop.

The hinge on my PowerBook G4 broke on a Friday and I called to get it repaired. They sent a box to send the laptop back to them, which I got on Monday (they overnight but Friday was just my bad luck). The PowerBook was sent off Tuesday, fixed Wednesday, and back to me on Thursday. It's about as fast a turnaround as you can expect. It is definitely worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    rberry88rberry88 Posts: 30member
    I bought it when I bought my iMac last week because they gave me a free not-user-friendly memory upgrade to 512MB. Haven't had to use it otherwise.

rberry88
  • Reply 4 of 19
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rberry88

I bought it when I bought my iMac last week because they gave me a free not-user-friendly memory upgrade to 512MB. Haven't had to use it otherwise.

rberry88

You bought an imac last week

but realy, why the expencive and handicaped iMac when a faster eMac woulda been cheaper?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    For peortables and iPods: Get it.

For the rest: Naah
  • Reply 6 of 19
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    for some inexplicable reason, my wife and i love our pismo which we bought in januaary 2000. however, SINCE THAT TIME, we have used the applecare warranty to replace all fo the following:

? sparking ac power adapter

? battery failure to retain a charge (twice)

? full motherboard and hard drive replacement (three weeks before the extended warranty ran out)

but thanks to the warranty, we never had to pay for any of it, and were never without the laptop for more than a couple days.

i even bought it for my dual g4, but only because my wife could get it on academic discount. the GOOD thing is that applecare CAN cover apple's lcd displays if they are bought with the computer if you are getting one of these cool "version 1.0" aluminum lcds they just released, i would get applecare, just in case any hardware bugs come out over the span of three years.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    My eMac got the dreaded raster shift problem one week after it's 1 year warranty ran out. But I had Applecare -> Happy dance!

And despite it being hideously expensive, I'll be getting AC for the Powerbook before the warranty runs out. It's a security blanket thing. Apple's QC just isn't what it used to be.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

For peortables and iPods: Get it.

For the rest: Naah

actually i got applecare for my pmac jsut for the display--you never know what defects could arise from the new models.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I accidently pulled my PowerBook off a table - thought I was rockin' my headphones with my iPod in my pocket as usual, but I forgot that I was hooked up to my little PB.

I got up to grab a fresh Guinness and my PB came with me.

The impact must've killed the hard drive because it wouldn't boot up. Just flashed the folder with the question mark at me.

I cracked it open and replaced the HD with an 80gig, put it back together, but it's still dead. Something's amiss ( again).

It's been a month without OS X, so I broke down a couple of days ago and bought a shiny new 12" iBook - this time with AppleCare!

It's no PowerBook, but at least I'm off my uber XP gaming rig which makes me happy.

Once I attempt surgery on my PB again and get it running, I might off the iBook or just keep it around as a backup.

Get AppleCare!
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Applecare wouldn´t have saved you there.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:

Applecare wouldn´t have saved you there.

if you have a way with words it would save you.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

if you have a way with words it would save you.

Only if you can hypnotise them into refusing every bit of logic they possess
  • Reply 13 of 19
    wesleywesley Posts: 22member
    thanks for all the replies...I think this pretty much means that I will be buying a 12 inch...cause I cant afford the 15 inch with the apple care...

but, come on...there has got to be some apple care horror stories out there...
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wesley

thanks for all the replies...I think this pretty much means that I will be buying a 12 inch...cause I cant afford the 15 inch with the apple care...

but, come on...there has got to be some apple care horror stories out there...

Cue Fran
  • Reply 15 of 19
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    <<.I think this pretty much means that I will be buying a 12 inch...cause I cant afford the 15 inch with the apple care..>>

You can purchase Applecare anytime within your original one year warranty. So buy the 15-incher now and then Applecare near the end of your warranty.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Only if you can hypnotise them into refusing every bit of logic they possess

There's no external damage. It's just that the HD wouldn't spin up. You can hear it try if you put your ear against it, but with no damage indicating it was dropped, I'll bet I could've gotten it fixed as a HD gone bad.

Of course, even if I had AppleCare I wouldn't have gone that route. I caused it, I'll fix it.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

There's no external damage. It's just that the HD wouldn't spin up. You can hear it try if you put your ear against it, but with no damage indicating it was dropped, I'll bet I could've gotten it fixed as a HD gone bad.

if the new hard drive didnt work, you most likely jarred loose or broke some connector...so if you did decide to go the apple care route, they probably would have figured out that you dropped your PB...
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

You can purchase Applecare anytime within your original one year warranty. So buy the 15-incher now and then Applecare near the end of your warranty.

are you sure? I thought apple care can be bought anytime within the first three months of purchase?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    rberry88rberry88 Posts: 30member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

You bought an imac last week

but realy, why the expencive and handicaped iMac when a faster eMac woulda been cheaper?

Because I wanted the 17" flat panel display and the smaller footprint on the desk. Not sure what you mean by handicaped?

I bought my iMac last week and got $300 off the normal price plus a free RAM upgrade to 512MB (for the not-user-friendly slot) by buying AppleCare so I think it was well worth it. Plus I think the iMac looks tons cooler than the '70's-TV-looking eMac. LOL

rberry88