I book or Powerbook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Planning to buy a 12" laptop for travelling-- my choice is either a 12", 1 GHz ibook with a 40 g hard driveor a 12" 1.33GHz powerbook--I'm planning 1 gig of extra RAM on each machine.

My question is:

Does it pay to pay the extra $300 for the Powerbook rather than the I book?

Thanks,

Sammick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    rickyricky Posts: 6member
    Since you say you'll be using it for travel, I would say go for the iBook. It is more durable than the PowerBook unless you keep them in sleeves. I can only imagine what my 12-inch PowerBook would look like if I threw it around in and out of a bookbag like my wife does her iBook. Now that both have G4s in them, I don't think you'd notice much a difference.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Well, it mainly depends on what you're doing with it. Casual e-mail, web, and chatting, get an iBook. Photoshop, FCS, graphics-related stuff, and games (The few that there are), get a Pbook
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    I am going to use the laptop for email and checking on stock prices-and for minimal portfolio management-I'm not using it for games or photoshop-so I think I will take your collective advice and go for a I book. Now another question:

One of the vendors offers a free memory upgrade for a total 768 mgs of RAM-do you think I should forgo the free 512 and pay for the addititional 1 GB of memory? The memory alone is about $400.

Thanks again,

Sam
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

I am going to use the laptop for email and checking on stock prices-and for minimal portfolio management-I'm not using it for games or photoshop-so I think I will take your collective advice and go for a I book. Now another question:

One of the vendors offers a free memory upgrade for a total 768 mgs of RAM-do you think I should forgo the free 512 and pay for the addititional 1 GB of memory? The memory alone is about $400.

Thanks again,

Sam

For that kind of usage the 1GB is a waste. Adding 512 will get you up to 768 which will be enough for what you want to use it for (enough = plenty!!!). 256 is just not enough, you could settle for adding 512, but then again the 512 are not that expensive and will relly get your iBook going!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Having gone through just this question in the past week I'd say go the iBook and 768 MB. That's exactly how the one I got was configured and that's going to be used by someone while they travel through Europe for a year. I was attracted to it for the extra ruggedness and the lack of need for anything more powerful, she'll do some video and manage her photos + email but beyond that it won't get used for much.

With the extra $400 buy yourself AppleCare. I really see that as a must if you're going to travel with a laptop.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    I bought the I book. Ordered it from Apple on a Saturday with a larger hard drive, and more memory and an airport card. It was made in Taiwan on Sunday, shipped on Monday and I received it on Wednesday. Unbelievable!!!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    ipenguinipenguin Posts: 10member
    Sounds good, enjoy it!