Airport Cards - Bluetooth?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is is possible that the next airport card will carry bluetooth and that older powerbooks can use this new card for bluetooth using the built in airport antenna?

Just wondering if this is possible and if Apple is likely to implement this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    They could put Bluetooth on the Airport Card. But, I doubt that if they do, it will work on older machines.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Possible, from what I understand. I don't know if they'll do it though. Personally, I'd love it if they did...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Bluetooth should work, it uses the same frequency band as airport, so the antenna should be perfect for it. Perhaps too good.

Microsoft recently released their bluetooth keyboard, and the review raised an issue I hadnt thought of. The keyboard cant be used until the bluetooth stack has been loaded. This means that you get no keyboard before the OS loads, and no keyboard in OS' that dont have bluetooth support. I think that this is a key problem for Apple, it really impacts on the user experience.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    At a recent "Apple Solutions Tour" event an Apple Tech gave me a hint on upcoming wireless hardware. I asked him why there was no onboard Bluetooth on the new mobile Macs as well as there are combined 802.11b (AirPort/WiFi) and Bluetooth (802.15) cards available.

He told me to "wait a little" and I would be satisfied.

Of course no details given but the hint might be interpreted as combined cards would be coming soon. Maybe including an update to 802.11g. I guess such cards would be perfectly useable in any AirPort ready Mac. They all get along fine with the provided 3.3V power supply in the AirPort Slot.

I really hope for combined cards, as this would make a really great Titanium a perfect companion.