So what are the chances apple will release a PDA @ MWSF?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I already signed up and paid and am going the 1st day to MWSF, and I would love to see an APPLE PDA.

What are the chances they will announce one? Has apple even said that they are interested in making anything of the sort.

I have seen all the fake pictures of apple PDA's etc etc, and was let down at MWNY when they didn't anounce one, actually they didn't announce anything.

Anyways, What are the chances? Any Rumors?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Apple is not going to release a PDA. Steve Jobs has said so and the companies that have done so are not making much money. The market is crowded and Apple is smart enough not to get into it.

Please close this thread.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I realise people will probably flame me for this, but I reckon Apple will reconsider there position on a PDA like device (not necessarily a PDA) after the huge success they've had with the iPod.

I think they will definately introduce a new comsumer gadget soon. But hey, what do I know.

If Apple did release a PDA like device, I'd buy one!

[ 11-23-2002: Message edited by: James B ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I doubt Apple will release any type of PDA in the near future. Their kinda hittin the hole when it comes to finanical matters. I think at MWSF03 there going to release the New Powermacs updated Xserve and possible Final Cut Pro4.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    The PDA market is pretty brutal right now. Apple would have to create an absolutely stunning PDA that was cross-platform compatible to even dent the market. As much as I'd love to see it, I don't think we will anytime soon.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    zero.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    The iPod is the Apple PDA.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    I would love to see one but I agree with the others. It is extremely unlikely we'll see one for years to come.

Two observations about Apple.

First, in the given economy Apple seems to be very conservative. They closed down part of PowerSchool, they have laid off a few people and we have seen no new hardware products this year (apart from updates).

Second, Apple has been rather conservative in general since Steve has returned. In spite of all the hype about Apple we have seen only two "flyers" that I can think of; the iPod and the Cube. Some companies (Japanese companies in particular) float lots of products and follow up on the winners. That is not Apple's style.

Given that the PDA market is somewhat mature, prices are already very low and Dell has entered the market (ensuring low margins) then I think it is very unlikely that Apple will join in.
  • Reply 8 of 27

[ 11-24-2002: Message edited by: Ensign Pulver ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by neutrino23:

...we have seen no new hardware products this year (apart from updates).

<hr></blockquote>

1. Flat panel iMac

2. eMac

3. Xserve
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Apple will not release a PDA. The former head of the Newton project, Mr. Chu (he's no longer with Apple) says they won't. One reason, much too expensive to develop one. Believe it or not, the market has stabilized and not grown in the past year. The tablet seems to be the next "new" thing. Apple may release something in that format next year.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Apple will not release a PDA. The former head of the Newton project, Mr. Chu (he's no longer with Apple) says they won't. One reason, much too expensive to develop one. Believe it or not, the market has stabilized and not grown in the past year. The tablet seems to be the next "new" thing. Apple may release something in that format next year.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree on the Apple PDA. I know that people will say "But Apple could do it so much better. Think Different!", but I think a sub-$100 Palm and sub-$200 (and sinking) Pocket PC have killed any chance Apple may have had to succeed with a PDA.

Palm is going to have to really fight to maintain share with Pocket PC devices, and Symbian is going to have to fight hard to defend against Smartphone, which is already hammering at the gates.

As for the tablet - let's hope Mr. Rothenberg is right, and that Apple will hold off until the idea has been proven to have some value. If the current tablet PCs break out of their intended business market, and a lot of home users start buying them up, then perhaps it would be worthwhile for Apple to take a shot.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    [quote]Originally posted by Ensign Pulver:

<strong>The iPod is the Apple PDA.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I also agree with those who say, there will never be an Apple PDA. It is indeed extremely unlikely we will ever see one. Especially given the present economy we [all] are in.

The iPod is Apple's hardware completion to iTunes (and lately to iCal and AddressBook).

But where are those hardware completions to iPhoto and Quicktime?
  • Reply 13 of 27
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

<strong>?and Symbian is going to have to fight hard to defend against Smartphone, which is already hammering at the gates.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not sure about that. Coming from a part of the world where people buy cell phones like others buy milk, it is the "regular" cell phones that are selling.

Furthermore a lot of people don't even want to look at anything but Nokia phones.

Btw. a cell phone like the Orange SPV with Microsofts software is a smartphone - not the smartphone. Symbian based cell phones are also smartphones.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>Btw. a cell phone like the Orange SPV with Microsofts software is a smartphone - not the smartphone. Symbian based cell phones are also smartphones.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, sorry, my mistake.

[quote]<strong>Coming from a part of the world where people buy cell phones like others buy milk, it is the "regular" cell phones that are selling.</strong><hr></blockquote>

For just now, maybe, but as prices for the new phones become more realistic, won't networks force more advanced phones on us, especially in such saturated markets as Western Europe? The networks can't grow by increasing basic GSM usage, they need new "advances" to generate revenue above that for making voice calls.

They've just started trying to force camera phones on people because they can make more money by charging extra for MMS services. And for GPRS. Once they can start offering net services for the various features (perhaps web management of contacts and calendars?) of smartphones, then they'll want the phones in the hands of as many customers as possible.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    quickquick Posts: 227member

<strong>

For just now, maybe, but as prices for the new phones become more realistic, won't networks force more advanced phones on us, especially in such saturated markets as Western Europe? The networks can't grow by increasing basic GSM usage, they need new "advances" to generate revenue above that for making voice calls.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hardware is really cheap here in Western Europe. You get several non-fancy phones for $0.00 if you sign a contract for at least one year.

But using the phone is extremely expensive, especially if you want to send MMS.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    I believe people would rather have dedicated devices rather then the complicated ones such as a PDA/Cell Phone/Door Opener/TV Channel selector type of thing. Dell is entering the PDA market with very inexpensive product (albeit, rather large compared to the competition). But they are smart and will sell a ton of them. Eventually, they wind up in a closet I think. We are over gadgeted nowadays.
  • Reply 17 of 27

<strong>Palm is going to have to really fight to maintain share with Pocket PC devices, and Symbian is going to have to fight hard to defend against Smartphone, which is already hammering at the gates.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here in Europe the MS Smartphone is pretty much DOA, as MS technology partner Sendo has dropped out at the last minute.

On the other hand Nokia, Ericsson, Sony, Samsung are all going with Symbian.

As for Apple, I think either a licensed P800 or a Tablet, but sadly no new Newton.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Blackcat:

<strong>Here in Europe the MS Smartphone is pretty much DOA, as MS technology partner Sendo has dropped out at the last minute.</strong><hr></blockquote>

AFAIK Europe is actually the only place where there is an MS powered smartphone - the Orange SPV.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by Ensign Pulver:

<strong>

1. Flat panel iMac

2. eMac

3. Xserve</strong><hr></blockquote>

You are right. I was thinking about the iMac but forgot to mention that as an exception. The other two I simply missed.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    There is definitely a bit of a gap in the digital hub when it comes to mobile phones. I don't have a Sony/Ericsson, perhaps they really do play nicely with Macs. But I'm sure that Apple could do much, much better.

I think it would be quite easy for Apple and Sony to co-develop an Apple-branded mobile phone that is guaranteed to play nicely with Apple's iWare .... Toss in some phone-oriented services in .Mac and a year's free subscription and you have a winner.