New Microsoft iPod Killer --Confirmed

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I fell out of my chair when I saw this. Thought I would share.

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_p...=165890&nr=122

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member

It gets so hot it needs a fan.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    krzysiekkrzysiek Posts: 73member
  • Reply 3 of 48
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    That is great! Funniest thing I've seen in weeks. Clippy! It's perfect.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    "You seem to be listening to music can I help?"
  • Reply 5 of 48
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Running Longhorn SE, available in the 21st century.....
  • Reply 6 of 48
    Now, I don't think this is an iPod Killer, but I do think it's the way Apple has got to go with the next version of the iPod.

Have you seen the RCA Lyra or the Archos AV? These babies retail for USD$399 and USD$449 respectively. That's priced in the iPod's range yet they play mp3s, display pictures, play videos, record off your TV (think portable VCR) and can connect to any TV.

• Reply 7 of 48
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Now, I don't think this is an iPod Killer, but I do think it's the way Apple has got to go with the next version of the iPod.

Have you seen the RCA Lyra or the Archos AV? These babies retail for USD$399 and USD$449 respectively. That's priced in the iPod's range yet they play mp3s, display pictures, play videos, record off your TV (think portable VCR) and can connect to any TV.

And they'd have difficulty fitting into any pocket. The iPod is designed for portability. The success of the iPod Mini shows us that people are concerned with size and those you'd need to be throwing in a bag. Couldn't see it happening.
  • Reply 8 of 48
    Well perhaps the current iPod line will expand and have a third member.
    • iPod mini for the fashion and size conscious

• iPod for people who want massive hard drives and portability

• iPod AV for the ones who want iPhoto and videos to go along with music

• Reply 9 of 48
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I feel that apple needs to get in on this.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/2240358613624558/

The market is about to burst open. Use itms and get movies.

Or lose the market. The time is now it's ripe for the picking.
  • Reply 10 of 48
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Wow, you aren't joking! Those devices look pretty cool.

Apple should change itms from iTunes Music Store to iSomething(?) Media Store.
  • Reply 11 of 48
    Quote:

Oddly, I could not find anything on Samsung's website, but found it on Amazon for pre-order. Supposedly it will be released in July, but it already is and not seeing it all at on their own website makes me wonder. No real specs on screen resolution, etc....

As far as the Creative Zen, they at least acknowledge the Zen but there is nothing about release dates or specs. I did find one site taking pre-orders, but again, no specific release date info. Again, no real specs on resolution.

Seems that both are fairly proprietary with WMV the only format they will play. And of course, the user experience is dampened by it being a WMC-based product. Apple could release something that exposes devices such as these as the true toys that they are, but I am not sure they will. I think I would wait until Sept (for iMac) and Tiger's release to see what other devices Apple is working on before dropping half-a-grand on these.
  • Reply 12 of 48
    I agree. It just seems that with the ipod success Apple should for once get ahead of the competition. I know that this has been discussed ad nauseum but itms is a huge vehicle for the zen killer ipod 4.
  • Reply 13 of 48
    Quote:

I agree. It just seems that with the ipod success Apple should for once get ahead of the competition. I know that this has been discussed ad nauseum but itms is a huge vehicle for the zen killer ipod 4.

Agreed. The iPod was certainly not the first MP3 player on the market. But when it came out, it exposed the ones that were as toys. I think Apple can surprise people with a video iPod. Tiger (QT7 <--> H.264) will only emphasize that fact.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Warning: These are my personal feelings and I in no way intend to offend anyone here

I still haven't seen one that looks compelling. What real use is all this portable media? What are the uses for it that other devices do not already accommodate?

They are too big for pockets so now I am faced with finding a way to tote the thing around without looking like an idiot. Then what setting will I desire to use a video/picture device that I would not be able to do in some other way already. So far all I have seen in these devices are cute toys and goofy designs.

I can already get a portable DVD player (in varying sizes) and cart along a sleeve full of DVDs/CDs for plane flights and such. They will also work with picture CDs and VCDs. They are cheaper. I can play MP3s on them as well.

Honestly I still have *never* seen anyone using one of these things. A market that is going to explode? I would prefer Apple sit back a bit then after taking a good look at the reality of the situation jump in with their compelling solution. Until then I imagine I'll see as many of these new devices as I normally do and I can probably go play with the broken demo model at CompUSA.

Sorry about the bitterness. Just because a company releases one of these things it does not spell doom for Apple. I am sure Apple already has prototypes but one thing they also probably have is a plan. A plan for how such a device can be useful and not just an interesting toy. Before the iPod was released I never considered an MP3 player at all. Apple made one and now I never go anywhere without it. I was well aware of the other MP3 players and played around with the demos at Bestbuy and CompUSA but always thought, "neat" but who cares?

There is no missed opportunity. These new devices are still answers looking for questions. The hardware itself is ok but nothing special. The special part is software and integration. Noone beats Apple with that part.
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Warning: These are my personal feelings and I in no way intend to offend anyone here

I still haven't seen one that looks compelling. What real use is all this portable media? What are the uses for it that other devices do not already accommodate?

They are too big for pockets so now I am faced with finding a way to tote the thing around without looking like an idiot. Then what setting will I desire to use a video/picture device that I would not be able to do in some other way already. So far all I have seen in these devices are cute toys and goofy designs.

I can already get a portable DVD player (in varying sizes) and cart along a sleeve full of DVDs/CDs for plane flights and such. They will also work with picture CDs and VCDs. They are cheaper. I can play MP3s on them as well.

Honestly I still have *never* seen anyone using one of these things. A market that is going to explode? I would prefer Apple sit back a bit then after taking a good look at the reality of the situation jump in with their compelling solution. Until then I imagine I'll see as many of these new devices as I normally do and I can probably go play with the broken demo model at CompUSA.

Sorry about the bitterness. Just because a company releases one of these things it does not spell doom for Apple. I am sure Apple already has prototypes but one thing they also probably have is a plan. A plan for how such a device can be useful and not just an interesting toy. Before the iPod was released I never considered an MP3 player at all. Apple made one and now I never go anywhere without it. I was well aware of the other MP3 players and played around with the demos at Bestbuy and CompUSA but always thought, "neat" but who cares?

There is no missed opportunity. These new devices are still answers looking for questions. The hardware itself is ok but nothing special. The special part is software and integration. Noone beats Apple with that part.

Excellent argument. My philosophy professor would've been proud!

You do make good points. They are definitely niche devices, not the mainstream. If Apple can solve a real problem with one, they will deliver one. Until then, they do seem more like toys to me.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Not impressed.

I did buy an inexpensive DVD player - to use when we go out to dinner with my 3 year old granddaughter. If she gets too active a movie keeps her settled and happy - plus eating. Also good when going on a trip with her. That's it.

When I travel on business I have both an iPod to listen to or movies. The movies are either IFE on the planes or the handful of DVDs I take with me and watch on my new 15" PB. Pocket movies are pretty dead when compared to that.

The potential for Apple, in my view, is to add a color screen and an interface with iPhoto. Let's people look at or show off a few pics of the family, or what ever. While movies are out for me it would be nice to be able to download short QuickTime clips. Again, looking at or showing off short clips. I don't think a 30 - 60 minute clip is important, nor is a movie.
  • Reply 17 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Honestly I still have *never* seen anyone using one of these things. A market that is going to explode?

Before the iPod was released I never considered an MP3 player at all. Apple made one and now I never go anywhere without it. I was well aware of the other MP3 players and played around with the demos at Bestbuy and CompUSA but always thought, "neat" but who cares?

I don't think anyone here questions that Apple could do it better than anyone else. But you're missing the point here. The neat thing about this devices is that they are hard drive based and you can delete the contents, add some more, they let you record off the TV, and not have to bring your cds, vcds, dvds with you. This is more than a glorified portable dvd player and mp3 player. If carrying a portable DVD player is the solution, then carrying a discman is the right thing and the iPod is a fancy toy. This kind of device will do to dvd players what the iPod did to discmans and walkmans. (walkmen?)

You just said it yourself. No one took mp3 players seriously until the iPod. Once Apple releases one of these babies everyone will be thinking how cool they are and will want one. Everyone will wonder how they managed to live without it, just like with the iPod.

The reason you don't see many people with these is because they've just been around since december, the earliest. And the two only models out there right now are the RCA Lyra and the Archos AV. These have their own OS. Later this year we'll get flooded with many more that use MS's Portable Media Center OS and I think they'll suck. But Apple could make it right.

Besides, it can be done because the prices are very comparable to the iPod. The Lyra sells for USD$399 and the Archos AV for about USD$499. That's well inside the range of the iPod but with much more functionality.

That's why I think Apple will jump on this. Besides how better is the current iPod going to get as it is? Shifting the buttons from place to place can only get you so far. They need to start expanding iPod's capabilities beyond music. They need to connect them to the other iApps.
  • Reply 18 of 48
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I don't think anyone here questions that Apple could do it better than anyone else. But you're missing the point here. The neat thing about this devices is that they are hard drive based and you can delete the contents, add some more, they let you record off the TV, and not have to bring your cds, vcds, dvds with you. This is more than a glorified portable dvd player and mp3 player. If carrying a portable DVD player is the solution, then carrying a discman is the right thing and the iPod is a fancy toy. This kind of device will do to dvd players what the iPod did to discmans and walkmans. (walkmen?)

You just said it yourself. No one took mp3 players seriously until the iPod. Once Apple releases one of these babies everyone will be thinking how cool they are and will want one. MP3 players were

I agree, but noone has yet made the compelling case for these devices and what sort of content will benefit or will even be legally playable on the devices. My point was not that these will never be useful but that right now they certainly aren't.

The fact that the devices are larger than the iPod (and should be to some extent for viewing stored content) and not easily pocketable does not help them either. I want Apple to deliver a device like this and make me feel as if it is something I really have been missing all along. None of the current toys do that. Hardware is trivial but the rest of the picture is blurry. None of the current devices has a clear purpose to me.

I really am thinking of when I would use one and I am at a loss. The world is so media saturated that I can't think of anyplace this would fit in to my life. I always can find places or situations to listen to music though and that is where the iPod wins every time.
  • Reply 19 of 48
    I agree. Also change the paradigm with the distribution of movies. Get the studios behind some kind of apple itms like DRM and use the itms store to buy/rent movies.

I would love to be able to take my usefull video like device with me on long flights and watch the content that I wish or better yet download on the flight a movie that I want to keep.

Apple is the undisputed best in hardware software integration.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    - j b 7 2 -- j b 7 2 - Posts: 201member
    Now that is one excellent spoof. I love the ugly purple color. "You seem to be listening to music can I help?" That's too funny. Best Microsoft spoof I've seen in a long time. I just wish they had a back view with like a dozen obsolete cable types.