Going to buy...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i'm going to buy an ibook 14inch 1.2ghz, what options should i add on to it and stuff. I've heard that macs need more ram, so how much would you suggest if i was just using it for basic college use and film editing. are there any other options that i should get?

OR

should i get a powerbook, even though i am trying not to spend that much money, would the difference in money be worth it for the performance?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by produkt

i'm going to buy an ibook 14inch 1.2ghz, what options should i add on to it and stuff. I've heard that macs need more ram, so how much would you suggest if i was just using it for basic college use and film editing. are there any other options that i should get?

OR

should i get a powerbook, even though i am trying not to spend that much money, would the difference in money be worth it for the performance?

The more RAM, the better Mac OS X will perform : that puppy loves RAM. However, it manages memory very well, so even with 256MB, this should be ok. If you have enough money, upgrading to 512MB would be wise.

If you're into video stuff, a Superdrive may also be something nice to add.

If you're trying not to spend too much money, go for the iBook : the Powerbook is really nice, but there's nothing in it essential enough to justify the extra bucks (unless you need a 17" screen, for example, or you want to add an external display without being forced to use mirrorring...)
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I don't care what anyone says. OS X requires 512MB for decent performance.

Airport Extreme and Bluetooth are also a must. Definitely get the built-in bluetooth because if you decide you want it later, you'll have to use a crumby USB dongle. While many PC users seem to think dongles are OK, I find them deplorable. It's a real pain to plug in an adapter every time you wish to sync.

That said, I think the PowerBook is a much better value, considering all these things come built-in. Also, the PowerBook speakers, keyboard, and overall form are greatly superior.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I say get the 12" powerbook it is only $100 dollars more. If you do have sight problems get the 14" ibook. You get so much better quality int the powerbook and it is alot easier to travel with.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    regreg Posts: 832member
    For video editing and burning you will need the super drive. Most college kids need the the portability and space saving of the 12". Since the 12 iBook does not offer the super drive I would go with the 12 powerbook. Things to include with your purchase, bluetooth, more memory ( a 512 chip from someone other than apple), iSight and a spare external firewire hard drive for video editing.

reg
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I'd second the 12" PB route since you're getting no extra pixels with the 14" iBook.

FYI, Amazon is running a $150 mail-in rebate on all Apple laptops right now, so if you were looking at just buying a stock machine and don't mind waiting on a rebate, then that's the best route to go in my opinion.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    512MB RAM is a must, especially for a notebook: Remember, more RAM means fewer reads from virtual memory off the HD, and that makes for longer battery life.

Airport is a must, and Bluetooth is really handy as a way to do ad hoc data transfer and connect peripherals. I've got a Sony Ericsson phone with Bluetooth that works with iSync just great, and I would never want to return to wires.

Anyway, just add on the the features you need, and see if the PB is worth the splurge then.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jginsbu

512MB RAM is a must, especially for a notebook: Remember, more RAM means fewer reads from virtual memory off the HD, and that makes for longer battery life.

Airport is a must, and Bluetooth is really handy as a way to do ad hoc data transfer and connect peripherals. I've got a Sony Ericsson phone with Bluetooth that works with iSync just great, and I would never want to return to wires.

Anyway, just add on the the features you need, and see if the PB is worth the splurge then.

Let see 12" powerboks has ae card standard and bluetooth standard.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    The 12" PB looks more expensive at first glance, but you get a SuperDrive, AE and BT as standard - plus a faster G4 chip. More memory from a 3rd party is worth the money (Apple is expensive in this area) and AppleCare is very important - it has paid for itself on my first PB and I got it when I updated.

You get a good deal on the Education Store, plus there is a $200 rebate if you also buy an iPod.

When you have that there will later be an opportunity for the other things that catch your eye. iSight is great if you are away from home (the folks will love their new iBook & iSight . . .), an external monitor later if you get deep into editing, odds & ends (Griffin Technology is my favorite - like it iCurve).

Have a great time in college - all the best with the studies and fun times!