iMovie wont export to camera...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hopefully you iMovie buffs out there can give me a hand...i've just finished up a really cool intro to a series of instructional videos i'll be making for the lab i work in. i want to export what i have to my camera so i can take it in and show it to the people i work with. however, when i click on "share" and choose my settings (i've determined that this error occurs no matter what settings i choose for exporting) my camera is plugged in over firewire, i see it start to "get ready" then it suddenly stops and iMovie reports that it has lost its connection to my camera. what i don't understand is that all other camera functions are working just fine...importing, browsing tape contents via iMovie, etc. only exporting wont work...what could the problem be? is it iMovie or my camera? (canon optura miniDV) i'm assuming its not the firewire cable since everything else works fine over it (even an old iPod)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    it's most likely your firewire card or your camera. i've had experiences like that before, but it always seems to end up working. call applecare or try someone else's camera.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    i forgot to mention that i'm using the most up-to-date version of iMovie...would removing the program and reinstalling it help? i think i'm going to try that because i really need to get this movie on tape!!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trans9B

hopefully ... iMovie or my camera? (canon optura miniDV) i'm assuming its not the firewire cable since everything else works fine over it (even an old iPod)

I am not that familiar with that particular CANON OPTURA. But some cameras

simply are not able to import DV stuff via firewire. This option is just locked by default. Make sure the camera actually is able to import DV material.

Perhaps that helps.