Apple sub-notebook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I would really like to see Apple produce a sub-notebook. I travel with my PowerBook all the time and I think it would be great if Apple could shrink the PowerBooks down a bit. The 12 inch screen is pretty good, but I think it would be really neat if they could make a 12" widescreen or something that would be thinner and weigh less. I'm thinking for this they would have to use a carbon fiber material or something similar.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    Absolutely! I currently use a Sony TR1MP which is a fantastic size, and the built in webcam at the top of the screen is a cute plus. Finally, the top-loading CD drive on the Panasonic Y2 is another space-saving feature.

When will Apple be releasing a sub-notebook with these kinds of features? 12" is too big! 10.6" is fine as long as the resolution is excellent.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Put me down for one, too. 10" or so would be perfect. I don't need it to have a CD drive. The only subnotes I can find are extremely expensive imports from Japan.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    There were rumours about this device some 2 or 3 years back. SJ said Apple wouldn't go into this marked unless there was a strong demand for it and Apple could do it better than others. Read into it what you like \
  • Reply 4 of 61
    ua2006ua2006 Posts: 84member
    I agree. A 10.6 inch screen would be perfect. I think Apple could still get away with using a combo drive in a device this small. The 10" sub-notebook that Sony makes has an optical drive so I think Apple can definitely do it. I have been waiting for something like this for a long time, but I know Apple has said several times that the market may not be big enough for a sub-notebook.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Any truth to the rumors of a 13.3 screen; either as an update 12" Powerbook, or as a new sub-notebook?
  • Reply 6 of 61
    13.3 would be too big for a true sub-notebook. I guess 13.3 could be a new PowerBook, but not a sub-notebook.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    peter northpeter north Posts: 103member
    Id like to see an

11 inch sub notebook with no opitcal drive

13 inch widescreen powerbook

15 inch widescreen powerbook

17 inch widescreen powerbook

but who knows the demand for these products or if they would eat into each others sales
  • Reply 8 of 61
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    IBM has one and it is a hot seller for them. The optical drive is external and the weight around 3 pounds. I used one before I switched a little over 2 years ago. Loved the size and weight for overseas business travel, but i love my 15" PB more.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    How could I not want a 3 lbs subnotebook from Apple?

Count me in! I would gladly give up the built-in optical drive for lighter weight and a Duo-style Dock with an optical drive at my desk.

On the other hand, my new 12-inch PowerBook works incredibly well, both on the road and as a desktop replacement at home (with external 17" LCD and Bluetooth keyboard and mouse).

Escher
  • Reply 10 of 61
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I also use a sony tr1a I love the little thing. Have traveled all over the globe with it. It gets 5+ hours on one light battery. It is also relatively light and has 802.11b built right in.

Apple should and can produce such a little beast. The 12" is still too heavy.

I also now have the 17" powerbook which is becoming my mobile desktop.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    The 12 incher is really small. Get a clue people. It's really not that hard to carry it. It's pretty tiny already.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Bring it on! For all the people like you monkeyastronaut, there's the 12". For everyone else on this thread, give us what we really want. A smaller, lighter machine. I'm tired of all the people who say 'but you don't need anything smaller". So you guys are in a blissful land of 12", good for you.

I go by computer stores and look enviously at those other sub-notebooks, but could never bring myself to buy one because of the OS. The fact is so many people want something more portable - and if Apple made it, they'd damn well buy it.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

Bring it on! For all the people like you monkeyastronaut, there's the 12". For everyone else on this thread, give us what we really want. A smaller, lighter machine. I'm tired of all the people who say 'but you don't need anything smaller". So you guys are in a blissful land of 12", good for you.

I actually own a 15 inch PB.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    So do I - and it's WAAAY too heavy! (and the 2 hour battery life sucks)
  • Reply 15 of 61
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Mine's more like 4-5 if careful...what, did they screw it up in the AlBooks?

I agree -- 12" is as 'subnotebook' as Apple's probably going to go. A separate optical drive just makes me nervous, too.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    I've argued this on previous threads - the only time I use my optical drive is when I install software. I rarely watch DVDs or listen to CDs on my powerbook. I've had my 15" AlBook for a year and have used the drive about 5 times. The rest of the time I use Airport, an external firewire drive or LAN to transfer files. I use my iDisk all the time, something that Apple should be looking to embrace.

Apple needn't phase out the 12", just offer a smaller alternative. I have no intention of getting a 17" powerbook, but I'm glad it exists as a choice.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    mccrabmccrab Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

I've argued this on previous threads - the only time I use my optical drive is when I install software. I rarely watch DVDs or listen to CDs on my powerbook. I've had my 15" AlBook for a year and have used the drive about 5 times. The rest of the time I use Airport, an external firewire drive or LAN to transfer files. I use my iDisk all the time, something that Apple should be looking to embrace.

Apple needn't phase out the 12", just offer a smaller alternative. I have no intention of getting a 17" powerbook, but I'm glad it exists as a choice.

Totally agree. Apple - give us a 10" subnotebook with firewire, usb, modem, ethernet, wifi, and bluetooth connectivity. Take all the other weight out - no CD/DVD, dvi etc. Provide a BTO EmPower/ cigarette lighter power connector. Provide an iTunes-style home folder sync facility through FW800 so that we can sync with the Apple desktop at home/office.

The check for $1,299-$1,399 is waiting to be collected.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I agree that a sub-notebook could be interesting but the market is just to small to jump in and claim its own small portion of it. Have you ever visited the site dynamism.com? Have you ever poked through and thought how cool those machines are? Have you ever wondered why few if any ever make it here? I think the Sony Picturebook was one of the few you could get here (I think you could get the little Fujitsu one as well and perhaps even the one from Sharp).

The US market for such a machine is negligible at best. I know Apple could make a great one but I think the 12" PowerBook is the best you'll get until there is a fundamental change in what people want from a portable machine. Check out what other companies offer. You'll see some big, chunky machines with huge screens for the most part. Sort of like SUVs since most people want a portable and give little thought to the effort required to haul it about and how long it will survive on battery power. Some companies make smaller machines in the league of the 12" PowerBook but few can match all the features and they often cost just as much as the PowerBook.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    In fact, to save space in a sub-notebook, Apple should just remove the modem and Ethernet ports from the system and just stick with wireless since the Airport Extreme station includes the modem/Ethernet port and with Airport Express this would be a killer portable combo.
  • Reply 20 of 61
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by s_sarinana

In fact, to save space in a sub-notebook, Apple should just remove the modem and Ethernet ports from the system and just stick with wireless since the Airport Extreme station includes the modem/Ethernet port and with Airport Express this would be a killer portable combo.

So now you further wish to restrict connectivity exclusively to places with wireless access?