Apollo G4's

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
If the new Powermacs come out with G4's at speeds up to 1.4 GHZ with DDR Ram would that be good enough. If they are duals?

Also, the Apollo G4 are rated at 23 watts at 1 GHZ. Is that too hot for powerbooks?

Also, those benchmarks that MOSR and the register had, could they be from a G4 chip?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    MOSR = Unrealible Crap

As for good enough...good enough for what / who?

Personally I think a lot of people would be extremely happy with Dual Ghz+ G4's, DDR RAM ,etc. Naturally it wouldn't stop a lot of the whining and rampant, baseless speculation, but yeah, it would be cause for many people to shell out the dough.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    I'd take dual 1.2 Ghz w/DDR ram and wait a year for the G5.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Can the Apollo G4 handle a higher frontside bus than 133MHz? All of the other G4's have been limited to a 133MHz bus.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Interesting discussion. I'd like to know about this as well. Aslo about the faster bus. As if this is true, I will have the majopr descion-buy not or wait another 6 months (I've been waiting since last July...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Well Isn't DDr-sdram 300 mhz anyways?

if so then wouldn't the apollo have to be able to support a faster than 133 mhz bus?

don't bus speeds and ram coincide like peas and carrots?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Even a dual 1.4Ghz G4 still will be slower than Dual Athon 1800 XP in almost every task.

Unless Apple releases G5, otherwise it's impossible to reclaim their "fastest personal computer on the planet" slogan......
  • Reply 7 of 13
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>Even a dual 1.4Ghz G4 still will be slower than Dual Athon 1800 XP in almost every task.

.</strong><hr></blockquote>

How can you be sure of that Leonis, the appolo G4 will have some refinements for his cache control, perhaps at equal mhz he would be slighty more performant than the 7450. Fuhtermore mac os X is potentially much more performant for the gestion of MP machines than windows. All it's need is soft made for him.

second point the difference of mhz between an athlon 1800 XP and a 1,4 ghz appolo is only 133 mhz (less than 10 %).

If you see a 1,4 dual G4 next month that will be the highest speed bump of the mac history since the mac 2.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    [quote]Bodhi

Can the Apollo G4 handle a higher frontside bus than 133MHz? All of the other G4's have been limited to a 133MHz bus. <hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral/SNDFH1101.pdf"; target="_blank">http://e-www.motorola.com/collateral/SNDFH1101.pdf</a>;

On page 19 it says

"DDR SRAM L3 backside cache design implementation."

don't know if this helps, but I would think if they can have DDR SRAM for L3 cache they should be able to implement it for the front side bus.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    One question that no one has talked about is if 23 watts at 1 GHZ is too much for a laptop. That is, the slim hope that Apollo is ment for the PowerBook, is it even feasible?

Also, The reason Apple would never put a 733 G4 into a iMac is the Powerbook. How sad would it be if Apple used 500 G4 in the new iMac!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by anand:

<strong>One question that no one has talked about is if 23 watts at 1 GHZ is too much for a laptop. That is, the slim hope that Apollo is ment for the PowerBook, is it even feasible?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes it is feasible, PC laptops use chips dissipating more than that. It might, however, require some redesign of the cooling, and maybe a lowering of the battery lifetime.

<strong> [quote]

Also, The reason Apple would never put a 733 G4 into a iMac is the Powerbook. How sad would it be if Apple used 500 G4 in the new iMac!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Very sad, but why should they? You must expect a slower clock on a portable, it's all to do with power dissipation. Even in the PC world portables are mostly still below the 1GHz level or they burn your knees and run your battery flat, and that's with 0.13micron process devices. If you want really long battery life you go with transmeta or VIA processors which barely get up to the speed of 700MHz P3. Apple are competitive in the laptop market.

There is no need for processor power to directly map to machine cost regardless of other factors.

Michael
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    The current 7450 G4's have a DDR backside cache. What I am talking about is a front-side bus.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by powerdoc:

<strong>

How can you be sure of that Leonis, the appolo G4 will have some refinements for his cache control, perhaps at equal mhz he would be slighty more performant than the 7450. Fuhtermore mac os X is potentially much more performant for the gestion of MP machines than windows. All it's need is soft made for him.

second point the difference of mhz between an athlon 1800 XP and a 1,4 ghz appolo is only 133 mhz (less than 10 %).

If you see a 1,4 dual G4 next month that will be the highest speed bump of the mac history since the mac 2.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oops.....I forgot to say that Dual 1.4Ghz G4 still can't beat the Dual Athlon 1800XP if it's still using the slow bus and RAM.....ugh....sorry....

But G4 always is weaker than Athlon when comes to FPU performance.....the gap will be smaller though

Again....if Apple only can deliver Apollo based PowerMac I really hope they can drop the price by 10%-15%. Selling the relatively 'modest' machine at $3500 doesn't make sense.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 13
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>The current 7450 G4's have a DDR backside cache. What I am talking about is a front-side bus.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly, my point was that if it can be done for backside cache, wouldn't it be possible for the front side bus? I don't think the MPC7450 would be limited to 133 MHz front side bus.

Any experts out there that can explain this?