iMac & others new color?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What will the consumer design/color scheme be?

It seems obvious that Aluminum should be saved for the PRO lineup, but perhaps the introduction of the iPod Mini suggests that it will be the material of choice for ALL upcoming products, with COLORS being the signal that it's a consumer-level device?

It's hard to see that happening since the existing iPod design (white) is synonymous with the device.

So, will we see another WHITE iMac?

Please post your ideas & drawings/concepts here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Colors cost a lot of money for Apple, distributors and retailers because you have to maintain an inventory in all colors. That might work for a higher volume/lower cost product like the iPod mini, but painful for iMacs. A single color is my guess.

Aluminum is great for my new PowerBook, but (again) this costs money. I would prefer lower cost materials (in a mind blowing design) than aluminum. Put the money saved into upgrading the FSB, memory speed and SATA hard drives - plus dynamite displays.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Maybe they could put anodizing tanks in the backs of Apple Stores and ship bare aluminum machines.

I think Apple could do a lot worse than capitalize on the success of the iPod mini. Colors were an unalloyed (heh) hit, and if Apple can do a better job of working out the logistics than the "five pack" from the "life saver" iMac days, they'd be crazy not to return to color offerings.

After all, how many other consumer items come in colors?

The iPod mini colors are cheerful but tasteful. I think they'd scale up pretty well to an iMac. And an iBook, for that matter.

And think of the promos! Buy an iMac, get $100 off a matching mini.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    I don't think colored iMacs will make a comeback until the color can be user-changed. Like wallpapers on desktops new materials will one day allow users to change the look of their computer case anytime.

Long ago there were threads about a patent Apple had on this, but it never came to be a real product. At least until now.

New technologies like OLED or especially eInk would allow this. The latter would only need power when changing the design pattern, so once changed a new design would stay even if the computer would be unplugged. The drawback is that eInk is currently only monochrome.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hobBIT

I don't think colored iMacs will make a comeback until the color can be user-changed. Like wallpapers on desktops new materials will one day allow users to change the look of their computer case anytime.

Exactly, just like Bang & Olufsen do with their TV sets and I think some of the stereo equipment's
  • Reply 5 of 22
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I have created a VERY rough image of what I think we might see, but I can't figure out how to post it here.

It's essentially a 17" WideScreen Display mounted (not permanenty attached) onto a Box that looks more or less like a closed iBook with an ARM extending from the bottom. That arm (flat and wide, not metal) connects to a base that holds the unit upright while on a desk. (Much like the look of a conventional LCD panel)

The 'iBook' portion behind where the detachable screen can be mounted houses the GUTS (Box) of the system (processor, HD etc.), while the 'Base' houses only the DVD (top loading, like a Playstation 1) and a set of speakers. The Base, Arm, and Box are all connected via joints that allow them to pivot into multiple positions.

With the monitor, it provides up/down and angle movement similar to the existing iMac. Without the attached monitor, it allows the Base to rest directly on top of the Box (looking like a single, two-tiered peice.

Also, with the monitor, it allows the Box and Base to be aligned on the same vertical plane for Wall mouting, where the only thing the user sees is the Monitor and the Base (DVD tray).

It can be purchased with or without the 17" Display, which doubles as a TABLET and connects WIRELESSLY to the Box.

It includes Bluetooth for wireless connectivity to the included keyboard/mouse and REMOTE CONTROL for TV/Music Functions.

All are incased in traditional iMac white.

Hard to articulate, and my Photoshop skills can't do it justice.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Color will be back.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Black iMac, black iMac! hehe

I actually think it'll be while again. Aluminum maybe. Colors fer-gettit!
  • Reply 8 of 22
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    How about white translucent and within a small group of led's which can project light at very low power consumption for long periods of time. This way the user could change the color to match the surroundings. Pick a pantone color and poof your mac instantly blends with your surroundings.

Everyone is happy!

Color for everyone.

Or the colors could change based upon pre determined conditions. Weather, stock prices, e-mails, etc. in sleep mode your mac will be able to tell you from across the living room what it needs to. All without the monitor being on.

ie: ooh look the mac's blue that means I have an e-mail from my love intrest!! Use with automator or widgets.

or: ooh the mac is deep green apple stock is way up!!

or: ooh the mac is navy blue the barometric pressure is down perhaps there will be a thunderstorm better take my umbrella

All sitting in a place of prominance in the living room.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hobBIT

I don't think colored iMacs will make a comeback until the color can be user-changed. Like wallpapers on desktops new materials will one day allow users to change the look of their computer case anytime....

This wouldn't be too hard, or expensive to do, all you have to do is design a cheap "plastic" snap on cover/design element similar to the ones available for cell phones. Each computer comes with 3-colors plus "Plower-Power" snap on panels and the computer Accessory market comes out with more custome colors.

It would be even easier with the Cube design where you could just have a vinal "skin" that wraps around the "core" container.

Done this way, Apple could bring it back without adding more than a few dollars to the cost of the case.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I loved the Cube..... I hope they bring it back.

And I love the high-gloss white finish of the 3G iPod

Here is what my 3G iMac would look like:

Shaped like the original Cube but colored white instead of silver (high-gloss like the original 2USB iBook - not solid like the current 2G iMac). This form would impose constraints concerning optical drives.

So how about a "lunch-box"? Basically a 2USB iBook, a litte thicker to accomodate a G5, all white with maye some brushed aluminium parts (connector area)?

I don't think an all aluminium enclosure would suit the iMac well, it would look look compact. Don't get me wrong, I like the G5s but I think the look would not fit the living room.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I'd like to see a black iMac with a styling that's for the 20th Anniversary Mac or something like the Cube but black. And if they go with colours, I'm all for that too! Anything other than the current boring white design for their consumer computers.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Black is strictly '80s hi-tek. I much prefer the look they have going now.

Brushed aluminum would look a bit odd in a living room setting (but not that odd, given the amount of steel and nickel finished lamps, etc.) I was thinking specifically of the finishes on the iPod mini, which are aluminum, but which look warmer than you'd expect a metal finish to look. I think a mini-style aluminum enclosure would look striking.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    As someone pointed out above, B&O has a really elegant solution to change the front panel of their small flat-screen TVs. If it's the cheap(er) headless iMac we're all hoping for, they can make that in one matching color (bring back The Cube!) and sell screens with different front panels. It's a cheap, flexible solution, will provide an incentive to still buy a monitor, eliminates stock problems, ...
  • Reply 14 of 22

The front panel is the only thing you don't want to change! You want a neutral color surrounding the monitor, and you don't want the hardware drawing attention away from the interface. Consider the jellybean iMac: The color was out of sight for the most part when you actually used the machine; it was only visible when you weren't. All the old iMacs had white faces.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    spcmsspcms Posts: 407member
    Possibly, but (assuming it's headless) what else is there to have color on an LCD screen? And colored base stations? Unless it's white/grey/black or something, it would be fudgely standing next to your white monitor (IMHO).

Btw, i wasn't thinking miniPod or iMac G1 colors, but considerably darker tones of red, blue, green, whatever.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

How about white translucent and within a small group of led's which can project light at very low power consumption for long periods of time.

Great idea, I like it. Like case modding, only with style.

Unfortunately, this is one idea Apple will never pick up.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

How about white translucent and within a small group of led's which can project light at very low power consumption for long periods of time. This way the user could change the color to match the surroundings. Pick a pantone color and poof your mac instantly blends with your surroundings.

amorph or someone may be able to confirm/refute this, but... didn't apple recently within the last year or so file a patent for color changing housing? and we all thought it was for the next ipod? what if it was for the next imac?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NittanyLionTosh

Color will be back.

Do you know? Or just speculating?

If you know, do you know whether it will be iPod mini colors or other ones?
  • Reply 19 of 22
    I don't claim to know, but I am reasonably certain that colors or a color other than white will be re-introduced to the iMac line.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    How about a nice Lime Green fake fur? Or maybe a wood vineer(sp)