laptop trackpads and the plastic stylus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Why don't they work together? Why don't they make'em so they do work together? Sometimes you don't want to use your fingertip because it is dirty or greasy, etc. That's when it would be nice to be able to whip out a stylus. I'm imagining a stylus would enable more accurate cursor control. One thing that bugs me about fingertip dragging is the friction slows me down too much when I go from large movements to small movements. That inconsistency makes accuracy a real pain. A stylus would glide easily and consistently. You might even get personal writing action that remotely resembles your real writing.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it is high time that trackpads step-up to this enhanced capability.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yeah, I've often thought that it'd be pretty neat if trackpads also supported some touch pad features. but ultimately, it's not really of too much importance for me, I've gotten quite adept with using the trackpad, so much that I actually prefer it to a mouse for most tasks.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    I'm really tempted to put my thinking cap into it and come up with a stylus that "looks like a finger" to the trackpad...
  • Reply 3 of 7
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Trackpads work by measuring the change of capacitance that results when your finger touches (or gets very near) the pad. Those plastic styluses don't work because they don't conduct electricity the same way your body does.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Seems like what is needed is a "semi-conductive" stylus.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Seems like what is needed is a "semi-conductive" stylus.

Take a Mach 3 power razor, remove the blade, put on a felt tip.

and there you go!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Take a Mach 3 power razor...

Yeah whats up with that thing? What the hell does a battery in a manual shaver, besides making an alibi for Gillette to produce something that has to have the higest cost per kilogram in most homes? Does it actually work?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Yeah whats up with that thing? What the hell does a battery in a manual shaver, besides making an alibi for Gillette to produce something that has to have the higest cost per kilogram in most homes? Does it actually work?

I haven't tried it yet, But I intend to, it may very well be a waste of money, but, if it's not I'll get a great razor. Of course, if it is, then I just spent nearly two times the price for another mach 3 turbo