Bush-McCain

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am slowly coming on board. I think this ticket seals the election for Bush. I was wondering what the thoughts are on the effect such a ticket would have, and the likeihood of it ocurring. It should be noted that I do support and respect Cheney, but I agree he may have become a liability.

Bush has also featured McCain in his new ad. A sign of things to come?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    So much for 'loyalty' in the Bush Administration if he dumps Cheney to pick up McCain. That alone leads me to believe that it won't happen, but there are some other reasons as well, mainly that McCain would have to agree to join the ticket, something that I don't know if he would do.

The Republicans now are pointing to comments that Kerry made about Edwards in the primaries and vice versa. But remember what the Bush campaign did to John McCain in the 2000 primaries? It was unbelievable how much they went after him. I think that alone is enough to keep McCain from running with Bush. Yes, he has been loyal in towing the party line and supporting the re-election efforts but I would find it hard to believe that he would join up with the same people that tore him down in 2000.

McCain is one of the few Republicans in public office that I respect and although I don't agree with all of his policies, I think that he says what he believes and tries to put the truth ahead of politics. If he was on the ticket in 2004, I think the Republicans would get a bump, but I still believe it would be a very close election. With McCain speaking out against Bush and vice versa so many times, at the very least it would give the Democrats a lot of material to run against that ticket. I think they are just too different for it to work but nothing would surprise me in this election year.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I have been surprised by McCain . . . he seems to be all gung-ho about this admin . . . I am at a loss as to why every body seems to care about him or give him credibility aftter his public fauning for this goon squad of hacks...\
  • Reply 3 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I sincerely doubt it. Dumping the Veep is one of those scenarios that always comes up but never happens. And even if Cheney was dumped, it's unlikely that McCain would do it. It is funny that both parties want him to be their veep.

I also saw a report that said that although Bush is playing up the fact that McCain was supposedly Kerry's first choice, that Bush had asked McCain back in 2000 but was turned down by him too.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

I am slowly coming on board.

"Hmm. McCain rather than Cheney? You know what - I believe that, all things considered, I will be casting my vote for the Republican party come this presidential election."

I love you SDW.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    McCain replacing Cheney as veep would definitely boost Bush's chances. In fact, I reckon virtually any replacement for Cheney would be a bonus for the Bush re-election bid...have you ever heard anyone, anywhere actually express genuine admiration or affection for Dick C?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

McCain replacing Cheney as veep would definitely boost Bush's chances. In fact, I reckon virtually any replacement for Cheney would be a bonus for the Bush re-election bid...have you ever heard anyone, anywhere actually express genuine admiration or affection for Dick C?

the president seems to like him quite a bit.

if the president can't fire secratary rumsfeld he certainly isn't going to drop the vice-president.

as for senator mccain, i think his south carolina memories would prohibit him from ever climbing aboard, and i think frankly, he has a better personal relationship with senator kerry than with the president.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

I am slowly coming on board. I think this ticket seals the election for Bush. I was wondering what the thoughts are on the effect such a ticket would have, and the likeihood of it ocurring. It should be noted that I do support and respect Cheney, but I agree he may have become a liability.

Bush has also featured McCain in his new ad. A sign of things to come?

You're wrong. Bush is the liability.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
  • Reply 9 of 21
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hey, mccain is the closest thing to a cross-party landslide candidate i have seen in years (possibly since reagan tore it up with 49 out of 50 ass-whoopin' he gave mondale/ferraro). heck, i have talked to green party members who would vote mccain as president in a heartbeat. he's got charisma, charm, yet balls and military experience. he seems to be able to relate to the young and sympathize greatly with retirees and war vets. and he just doesn't back down.

personally, i like mccain's comments about being in ads for both candidates as showing HIM as "a uniter, not a divider."
  • Reply 10 of 21
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah

"Hmm. McCain rather than Cheney? You know what - I believe that, all things considered, I will be casting my vote for the Republican party come this presidential election."

I love you SDW.

I am coming on board with McCain replacing Cheney...as in I think it's a good idea.

"Hmm, anyone but the war monger oil barron gay hating Bush? You know what-I believe that, all things considered, I will be casting my vote for....anyone but Bush come the Presidential election".

It doesn't matter how many times I criticize Bush or take a more moderate position...you'll just keep on trying to paint me as an extremist. At least we know what to expect from you.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

I am coming on board with McCain replacing Cheney...as in I think it's a good idea.

"Hmm, anyone but the war monger oil barron gay hating Bush? You know what-I believe that, all things considered, I will be casting my vote for....anyone but Bush come the Presidential election".

It doesn't matter how many times I criticize Bush or take a more moderate position...you'll just keep on trying to paint me as an extremist. At least we know what to expect from you.

If the paint sticks.........
  • Reply 12 of 21
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

You're wrong. Bush is the liability.

I disagree...I may not be a fan of the of the Bush administration or what it has done over the last couple of years, I may question whether Bush himself has what it takes to be president...but I have to give him one thing: he comes across as being likeable.

Dubya may be rich and priviliged but he dresses, talks and looks like an ordinary, friendly guy. This has a lot of pull with people who don't spend too much time thinking about politics or economics beyond their annual 1040 filing and the price of gas. (And these days, to putting flags up everywhere to show that they love America and hate terrorism.) Clinton has a similar appeal to Bush. He looks like someone you could have fun hanging out with. (If Kerry is going to cultivate a persona, it'll have to be the authoritative but trustworthy uncle / football coach / teacher...it'd be very hard to remake his image as everyman's buddy.)

Cheney, on the other hand, comes across as the kind of person who gets his kicks making inexperienced / just-started-today / working-my-way-through-college waitresses cry for not bringing his entree fast enough. And nobody likes those guys.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    kneelbeforezodkneelbeforezod Posts: 1,120member
    Just saw this quote from the transcript of the July 6, 04 edition of Hardball. Chris Matthews and Matthew Dowd (BC04 strategist) are discussing whether or not McCain might have been Kerry's first choice for veep...

Quote:

MATTHEWS: You know who John McCain?s second choice for president is?

DOWD: Who?s that?

MATTHEWS: George Bush.

• Reply 14 of 21
    The one thing to remember about politics is that it is always changing, and there is no such thing as loyalty.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Dubya may be rich and priviliged but he dresses, talks and looks like an ordinary, friendly guy.

Wolf in sheep's clothing!

Interestingly both of those are from MSN too.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    In a VP comparison with Edwards today, Bush was praising Cheney, calling him "presidential material, unlike Edwards who is in experienced". Unless something untoward happens (and anything can happen in politics), it looks as if Bush will stick with him.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    From the Bush campaign website:

Quote:

JOHN KERRY?S SECOND CHOICE: Kerry/Edwards ?04: ?The Ultimate Flip-Flop?

* When John Kerry?s first choice for a running mate turned him down, he turned to the polls.

* After stating that he needed a vice president who could step in as President, John Kerry chose the one man he called too inexperienced to be President just months ago.

So, I'll just go ahead and assume that anyone supporting a Bush/McCain ticket thinks this bush statement on Edwards is ridiculous.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

From the Bush campaign website:

So, I'll just go ahead and assume that anyone supporting a Bush/McCain ticket thinks this bush statement on Edwards is ridiculous.

Who was Kerrys first choice?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Who was Kerrys first choice?

Supposedly McCain, although Kerry never formally offered him the bid since it was clear that McCain was not interested.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

It should be noted that I do support and respect Cheney/the war in Iraq/the troops, but I agree he/it/they may have become a liability.

You cannot support and respect someone and then call them a liability at the same time. Unless you're unpatriotic or unamerican or something.