We need another iMac thread!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since we obviously need a million iMac threads to talk about the same upcoming revision, I thought I would start a random one. I hope this gets locked, as well as most of the others. (Come on, at least merge them).

For those who dont want to read all the other threads, here's a rundown:

1. the iMac may or may not have a G5

2. people want a headless mac

3. the return of various colors?

4. all wireless iMac

See? Those didn't need a thread of their own--there isn't any hard evidence pointing in any direction on any of those topics.

edit: And with all this shipping stuff: Apple confirms a September release. End of story.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    how about "iMac will be edible?"
  • Reply 2 of 14
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Your forgot the pizza box iMac
  • Reply 3 of 14
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    ... and the built-in iPod dock, pyramid shape, cheesegrater holes, vertical vs. horizontal optical drive, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    How bad would it suck if the only changes implemented to the iMacs were small processor jumps and 5 fruity colors? Remember that Keynote?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

How bad would it suck if the only changes implemented to the iMacs were small processor jumps and 5 fruity colors? Remember that Keynote?

I think more people knew what the iMac was after those colors were announced than any other mac.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Yes, it was a tragedy when the iMac was updated regularly and had the appeal of all those darn colors...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Quote:

MWSF '99. I was at that Keynote. That was a time when Macs were much closer to PCs in terms of price/performance.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

MWSF '99. I was at that Keynote. That was a time when Macs were much closer to PCs in terms of price/performance.

And since then look at what has happened...we have gotten greatly faster computers with amazingly easy to use but powerful software.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    On a serious note.

I have read several things over the last year about a technology that projects the immage of a keyboard on a desk and then can sense where you type. here is just one of several companies in this field. This Link

Wouldn't it be cool if this kind of technology was built into the next gen imac, that way,(if the monitor was headless):

1 you would always have a keyboard

2 As opposed to using expensive touchscreen/ink application, the keyboard/ trackpad (these systems can also be used like laptop trackpads)could be projected flat on to the screen.

I hope someone thinks of that application for tablet computers (I really really hope its apple) because that is a great idea that would save mucho $$$. Think your tablet computer is laying flat on an airplane tray and you type and navigate on a red projection all the time veiwing the lcd immage underneath.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    trevordtrevord Posts: 85member
    Quote:

I have read several things over the last year about a technology that projects the immage of a keyboard on a desk and then can sense where you type.

I think this would be neat as an add-on, but not as a built-in feature. Why? No tactile feedback. That's more important than most people realize. It's not only the feel of the buttons moving when you hit them, but also the feel of the edge of the buttons, so you know if you're veering off-centre.

Still, as a limited use add-on when you're away from your standard input devices, it could definitely be useful.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by TrevorD

I think this would be neat as an add-on, but not as a built-in feature. Why? No tactile feedback. That's more important than most people realize. It's not only the feel of the buttons moving when you hit them, but also the feel of the edge of the buttons, so you know if you're veering off-centre.

Still, as a limited use add-on when you're away from your standard input devices, it could definitely be useful.

Very good point, perhaps they could have it follow your hands? Maybe wear sensers on your fingers? Just a thought
  • Reply 12 of 14
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Very good point, perhaps they could have it follow your hands? Maybe wear sensers on your fingers? Just a thought

At that point you might as well go the way of Johnny Mnemonic with the headset and datagloves setup (which would be really cool).
  • Reply 13 of 14
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Trevor, that's interesting - I've always thought the same but I started drumming my fingers on the desk and realized that the surface gives fantastic tactile feadback. Through your fingers, you can sense the slightest touch and the sensation is very positive. I agree about the centering. Rather than a projected keyboard, how about a glass one with slight dimples and capacitive keys. What if the lettering then is produced by LCD inserts at each key position. The keyboard could be reconfigured, for gaming say, with different characters displayed, even in different colours. There'd be issues about how to handle fingers resting on the keyboard, in respect of repeating keys and inadvertant touches but it would be very interesting to try. Of course, you should be able to calibrate touch and sense for personal characteristics and habits. It would certainly take getting used to!

Quote:

Originally posted by TrevorD

• Reply 14 of 14
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by IQatEdo

Trevor, that's interesting - I've always thought the same but I started drumming my fingers on the desk and realized that the surface gives fantastic tactile feadback. Through your fingers, you can sense the slightest touch and the sensation is very positive. I agree about the centering. Rather than a projected keyboard, how about a glass one with slight dimples and capacitive keys. [snip]

The Timex/Sinclair 2000 and Atari 400 both had 'touch sensitive' keyboards. I'd rather stick with my current keyboard then go back 20 years.