What the He11 is wrong with Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I know i am going to catch static for doing this but my apple just confuses me some times. I am a recent PC convert and i have to say that i love my I-Book, I love that i can ssh in to my servers, I love Fink, I love I Tunes, hell even office on an apple is better than on a PC(But i do have to admin that it crashes as much as on a pc).

I love that yesterday i had Dreamweaver MX, Photo SHop, CocaMySQL, a few web browser windows, a few finder windows open, 1 ssh session, BB Edit, Thunderbird(email), I Tunes, Nitro(jabber im client) I counted a total of 13 items open on the desktop, there were 3 more minimized in the finder bar(what ever you call it) an every think worked smooth. Not happening on a PC.

This is my gripe, why can i have 13 windows open at the same time, 3 minimized but today after i turn on my i book to eject a data cd that i left in it my computer came to a screaming halt and it took a total time of 2 Mike Ness songs and one Dre to eject the CD?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    greggwsmithgreggwsmith Posts: 523member
    Maybe the poor machine was horrified by you taste in music and was afraid you would put one of your music cds in it?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agallant

Ok, I know i am going to catch static for doing this but my apple just confuses me some times. I am a recent PC convert and i have to say that i love my I-Book, I love that i can ssh in to my servers, I love Fink, I love I Tunes, hell even office on an apple is better than on a PC(But i do have to admin that it crashes as much as on a pc).

I love that yesterday i had Dreamweaver MX, Photo SHop, CocaMySQL, a few web browser windows, a few finder windows open, 1 ssh session, BB Edit, Thunderbird(email), I Tunes, Nitro(jabber im client) I counted a total of 13 items open on the desktop, there were 3 more minimized in the finder bar(what ever you call it) an every think worked smooth. Not happening on a PC.

This is my gripe, why can i have 13 windows open at the same time, 3 minimized but today after i turn on my i book to eject a data cd that i left in it my computer came to a screaming halt and it took a total time of 2 Mike Ness songs and one Dre to eject the CD?

Office crashes that much on you? Anyway that's besides the point to answer your question I have no idea. Does it happen everytime or was it just a one off? Did it give you the spinning beach ball of death?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    agallantagallant Posts: 87member
    It happens alot with diffrent applications but not all of the time.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Well, on a PC, you can just hit the physical EJECT button and the CD will pop out, no matter what apps might be accessing it. Whereas, on the Mac, the OS is going to make sure that none of the 13 apps you currently have open are not accessing the CD, before it will eject it.

iTunes also is pretty protective of CDs, even when playing off your hard drive.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Should be rare to ever need to do this but if you just can't wait, just stick a paperclip/pin in the tiny hole on the upper right of the CD tray door. Slight push and it opens.

Oh and you shouldn't be using iTunes if you are working. That's why god made iPods.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    That is how i can justify the $250 for the I pod. I have been looking for a reason as for the tiny hole my I-Book has a slot loding cd.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    I know there are times when I leave a CD in the drive, sleep the machine, wake it and the thing won't eject. Might be a similar situation. I resleep the machine and the drive is active again. Then again I have a few cards in my (Power) Mac.

Best advice, don't leave discs in the drive especially slot-loaders. If worse comes to worse you need to reboot and hold down the mouse button to eject. If its stuck further, oh boy. On my Cube you need to basically take the drive out of the machine in order to manually eject it.

The Macintosh (and UNIX style) method of not ejecting a disc without some forethought is for the best. Windows can allow disc ejection, and when the app calls for it you blue screen.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Does Mac OS X has FKEYs, like cmd+shift+1 to eject disks?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Does Mac OS X has FKEYs, like cmd+shift+1 to eject disks?

there is an eject buttton on the KB, my friends iBook had it in the upper right of the keyboard, if mem served it was /\\ with 2 lines under it, but I may be wrong.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Maybe the poor machine was horrified by you taste in music and was afraid you would put one of your music cds in it?

I assume you're referring to Dre and not Mike Ness.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Dre is classic and Mike Ness/Social D rules 8)
  • Reply 12 of 15
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    to eject a disc upon start up hold down the mouse button while you boot (its the same drill on the lappys). And as one apple care rep told me a few years ago a lot of problems are resolved by zapping your PRam every so often.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Playmaker

to eject a disc upon start up hold down the mouse button while you boot (its the same drill on the lappys). And as one apple care rep told me a few years ago a lot of problems are resolved by zapping your PRam every so often.

How do you zap your PRam?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Restart holding down Shift + Command (Apple Key) + P + R

I believe that is how it's done. Well I'm not sure why it takes so long...there isn't an excuse. If you just bought it, I would say call Apple and ask them.

Also while windows XP isn't bad at crashing at all, OS X doesn't crash as much as it

I'm not really into that genre, but Social D is nothing compared to Fugazi.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Restart holding down Shift + Command (Apple Key) + P + R

Actually, restart while holding Option + Command + P + R.