Tiger Developer Preview DVD?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Does anyone knows if Apple gave out a Tiger Developer Preview DVD to WWDC attendees that people were speculating about? I'm curious to see some more screenshots and see if Tiger makes the GUI any more snappy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    I heard it was DVDs as well. That means less copies in the hands of everyone who just have cdr burners. ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 28
    This is rediculous! Now I have to buy another thing for my dumb aging G4. Now I need a new HD around $100 bucks, then a new cd burner $50 or so more bucks. And now a dvd reader, but most likely a dvd burner...another $100 bucks. This sucks. Tiger better be worth every dollar.

Oh and yea buying Tiger another $120 bucks...
  • Reply 3 of 28
    hold the phone, it will probably come in cd version for final. They just give it to developers in DVD format. Also I just realized it will be on their FTP so it will be able to go on CDs I'm sure ;-)
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Well in that case...HECK YEA CAN'T WAIT TIL IT COMES OUT ON CD ! Thanks man for the clear up.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    More over Apple has been shipping eMacs and iBooks with a cd drive (without a built in DVD drive) not longer than a year ago so I think, Apple would take into consideration this fact and Tiger would be shipped in cd's. Hope I made some sense there.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Any idea when the first version will hit the developer site?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    I've heard that someone has figured out how to install tiger without a DVD any links?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Are there any mac utilities that simulate the disc still installed like there are on windows?
  • Reply 9 of 28
    tigerdevtigerdev Posts: 3member
    Ok, here is what i did when i installed Tiger PR because my dvd drive is dead (this also works for those of you with out a tiger PR dvd), 1) made an image of the Tiger DVD on another mac using disc utility, 2) partitioned my mac into 2 partitions, 3)installed panther on one partition and then copied and mounted the Tiger DVD image on my computer, then opened the disk and searched for the file, "osinstall.pkg" (no quotes), opened the package, installed Tiger Preview on my second partition and i was set to go!! ( i have only tested this with panther)

Alternate to installing on a mac with dead or no optical drive: 1)put the tiger dvd into a computer with panther server and a dvd drive, 2)made an OS install package with the network install utility, 3) once that was done i went on the other mac and went to the startup disk preference pane and selected netboot, the mac restarted and started to install tiger. (havent tried this but it worked with Panther)

Hope that helps and good luck!!

-Jonathan
  • Reply 10 of 28
    So how did you patition the drive while Your booted into os x ?

Magic

Thanks

Chris
  • Reply 11 of 28
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wouldn't that be a nice Tiger feature? Partitioning on the fly! hell if TechTool can do it how come OS X can't.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

Does anyone knows if Apple gave out a Tiger Developer Preview DVD to WWDC attendees that people were speculating about? I'm curious to see some more screenshots and see if Tiger makes the GUI any more snappy.

There was an URL posted on another newsgroup here with lots of Tiger screenshots. It's a Swiss site (in French), but the screenshots are in English:

http://www.cuk.ch/articles/tests/afftest.php3?aff=317
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

There was an URL posted on another newsgroup here with lots of Tiger screenshots. It's a Swiss site (in French), but the screenshots are in English:

http://www.cuk.ch/articles/tests/afftest.php3?aff=317

Thanks for relaying the info, BigBlue : I didn't know which thread I was supposed to post this info in...
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by tigerdev

Ok, here is what i did when i installed Tiger PR because my dvd drive is dead (this also works for those of you with out a tiger PR dvd), 1) made an image of the Tiger DVD on another mac using disc utility, 2) partitioned my mac into 2 partitions, 3)installed panther on one partition and then copied and mounted the Tiger DVD image on my computer, then opened the disk and searched for the file, "osinstall.pkg" (no quotes), opened the package, installed Tiger Preview on my second partition and i was set to go!! ( i have only tested this with panther)

Alternate to installing on a mac with dead or no optical drive: 1)put the tiger dvd into a computer with panther server and a dvd drive, 2)made an OS install package with the network install utility, 3) once that was done i went on the other mac and went to the startup disk preference pane and selected netboot, the mac restarted and started to install tiger. (havent tried this but it worked with Panther)

Hope that helps and good luck!!

-Jonathan

thanks man!
  • Reply 15 of 28
    merovingianmerovingian Posts: 436member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bborofka

Just look at it this way. Panther came on 3 CDs, with different parts of the system on each. I see no reason why Apple would desert the many people who don't have DVD players... m.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    rspressrspress Posts: 31member
    Most drives Apple has shipped in the last few years all can read DVD discs just not write them unless you have a superdrive. With higher requirements for Tiger and the fact that most drives out there can read DVD's look for the Tiger release to be on DVD.

Has anyone tired to install the preview release on an iPod? Can it be booted from an iPod? I don't wish to overwrite my panther installation and the iPod is the only external drive I have.....I spent too much cash on goodies like the iPod instead of a big external drive. Might be the excuse I need to get one.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    coevalcoeval Posts: 1member
    I got a copy of the PR. Burned it to DVD... Kernel panic during boot. \
  • Reply 18 of 28
    The new spotlight search system looks real spiffy. It'll help me find my files on my cluttered desktop.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    tigerdevtigerdev Posts: 3member
    Ok sorry for the late reply, my internet has been down, i had to run out and buy airport. OK for the partitoning, i formatted my mac drive when i bought the iMac, one half for OS and the other for large file storage, Im sorry if i misled you but you first have to boot off of the OS 9 CD, if your system supports it or the OS X CD any version you may have, then use disk utility to partition the drive to your needs. I did not actually partion my drive while booted in X. If you have two drives you can use disk utility, to partition/erase one.

coeval: Kernel panic most likely occured due to a bad install disc. Possibly burnt incorrectly, or a bad image. If you skipped verification of the image and/or DVD I HIGHLY reccomend it next time, also when Installer checks your install disk let it continue and do that though it may take a while!! If you have questions you can email me ([email protected]) or post your questions here. Hope that helps!

-Jonathan
  • Reply 20 of 28
    major tommajor tom Posts: 12member
    I haven't actually installed Tiger on my iPod, but it did show up as a supported volume when I installed the Developer copy on my 2nd internal hardrive. So, yes it would appear that it can be installed on an iPod.