Enron Lobbyists

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Wow, I didn't realize...

Tom White, former secretary of the Army, was at Enron Energy Services, a company that was little more than a sham from the get go.

Ed Gillespie, current head of the Republican National Committee, was an Enron lobbyist.

Marc Racicot, former head of the RNC and the Bush/Cheney campaign chairman, was an Enron lobbyist.

Robert Zoellick, current US Trade Representative, worked for Enron as an adviser.

James Baker III, former secretary of state -- and the man who was crucial to Bush's win in Florida -- was an Enron lobbyist.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Northgate

Wow, I didn't realize...

Tom White, former secretary of the Army, was at Enron Energy Services, a company that was little more than a sham from the get go.

Ed Gillespie, current head of the Republican National Committee, was an Enron lobbyist.

Marc Racicot, former head of the RNC and the Bush/Cheney campaign chairman, was an Enron lobbyist.

Robert Zoellick, current US Trade Representative, worked for Enron as an adviser.

James Baker III, former secretary of state -- and the man who was crucial to Bush's win in Florida -- was an Enron lobbyist.

Neither did I.

but I shouldn't be surprised: It's par for the course.

Expand the investigation to include these people. Then they could at least be charged with accessory to fraud, amongst others. On with the 'cuffs.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    So was Paul Krugman at the NYT. They should search his files and find out what he knows.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Indeed.

I hope the DOJ doesn't fuck this one up royally like the Microsoft case years ago... after all, the Enron scandal was like how long ago? Their case should be airtight by now.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

So was Paul Krugman at the NYT. They should search his files and find out what he knows.

Paul Krugman was not an Enron "lobbyist." He had a brief connection with Enron as an economic and political advisory board member, which is different than lobbying for the company or making decisions on its behalf.

Speaking of Enron, The Smoking Gun has a warm, fuzzy letter from then Gov. Bush to then CEO Ken Lay. Yes, Bush really did call him an "old friend" whose friendship he "values." Makes you feel cuddly, doesn't it?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

Paul Krugman was not an Enron "lobbyist." He had a brief connection with Enron as an economic and political advisory board member, which is different than lobbying for the company or making decisions on its behalf.

SPJ you may want to review the list in the post that started this thread. It wasn't limited to lobbyist. Stop being such a troll.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

SPJ you may want to review the list in the post that started this thread. It wasn't limited to lobbyist. Stop being such a troll.

I'll take that as an "I was wrong" since you were wrong.

...but neither was my reply limited to "lobbyists"... I said lobbying for the company or making decisions on its behalf, which could describe all but Zoellick, who probably shouldn't be on the list without a qualification. I think all connections between the Bush administration and Enron are worthwhile to discuss in this thread since that's the general point of the thread.